• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting VdlP on June 1st. Am I mad ?

Bunclody1

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2013 C Francis
June 2015 C Norte
September 2017 C Primitivo
August 2018 Via de la Plata
Hi all. Because of various commitments it is only possible for me to start walking around June 1st. I'd like some advice/feed back from any one who may have done this also. I walked the Camino Francis last year, while I really enjoyed it I think the VdlP should be an adventure. Thanks,
John

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think that early in June you'll probably be ok, but it WILL be hot, and unlike the Frances, there won't be fountains so take plenty of water each day. I was silly and tried walking it in August the first time. I walked my second stretch in May and it was lovely - often hot. The biggest problem for me last time was finding lodging near where they were building that railroad. Does anyone know how that's coming along?

I walked the VdlP in August. As Annie said....it was extreme heat and really a bad idea...but I did finish it.
June should be much more pleasant. There are a number of threads that describe walking in May and June.

Annie...the railroad was a real problem for me as I was the only one walking and no one to chat with to find my way around and through all of the huge construction areas where the Camino had been disrupted. There were some detour signs but for the most part I was just left on my own staring at huge mounds of dirt and equipment and fences. That was 2013 so it should be better now.

If I was going again, I would do some serious research to determine the current conditions. Takes the fun right out of the day to be stopped in the middle of nowhere with no idea what to do....and the temperature around 50c (120 f).
Go in June...not August

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I was going again, I would do some serious research to determine the current conditions. Takes the fun right out of the day to be stopped in the middle of nowhere with no idea what to do....and the temperature around 50c (120 f).
Go in June...not August

Thanks!
The construction definitely caused issues for me when I walked.
I plan on following your advice and researching this. It is definitely something I need to finish, having stopped in Cacares.
Because of my ankle, I probably won't walk this year (still have decided for sure) but I am planning next year for sure, and have two goals: Finish the Madrid route (I had to stop 3 stages short) and finish the VDLP. I'd also love to walk from Lourdes again. Oh my gosh, so many Caminos, so little time… I think I need to find a long-term housesitting job in Spain to finish up all these routes!

Annie...I know what you mean about the routes.
I have done the Camino Frances a couple of times, LePuy, Norte, VdlP, Sanabres. This year I am doing the Primitivo and then moving down to do the Portugues. I will have done the main list of routes and will now have to consider the others.
Maybe I can just pretend they don't exist and rest.
:cool:

Thanks for the advice. Where was the railway construction taking place and I will check to see to see it's progress. I've bought Ger Kelly's book and though it's very good it has no photo's and not much info re sights etc. Are there any other English books which are a bit more polished and informative ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello John
I walked the Via de la Plata April/May last year. I used the accomadation and walking schedule by Jirit found here in the resources section as well as Gerald Kelly`s. I was unable to get the guide(english version) by the Amigos del Camino in Seville but got it in the albuerge paroquial in Monesterio. I had no problem with the Ave construction sites just followed their directions. I was lucky with the weather had only 2 days of rain and drizzle for a half day in 6+ weeks ,but encountered all kinds of weather heat, cold, biting wind. I really enjoyed it, walked with and met great people
Hope this will help. Buen Camino
Maura

Hi John.

I've only walked when it's reasonably cool, but no matter when you walk, bring lots of water and wear a hat with a brim. I keep forgetting and wear a running cap and blister the tops of my ears.

Re: English-language guides, I've got an app with loads of photos plus info on sights to see along the way. And of course there's info on the route, lodging, restaurants, etc. A lot of pilgrims have uploaded helpful comments about the construction as it is continually changing. The maps aren't the greatest, though (the developers keep promising to upgrade them, but so far haven't). However, in my experience it's pretty easy to just follow the markers, and if there's ever a confusing spot the app will tell you where it is and how to navigate. If you're interested, you can look at it in one of these spots, depending if you have an iPhone or Android: http://sutromedia.com/apps/Via_de_la_Plata (iPhone); http://sutromedia.com/android/Via_de_la_Plata (Android).

Bueno Camino!
Melanie

I am in the final research for my walk on the VLDP starting from Seville on April 8th 2015. I just posted my list of resources on my blog. http://vinsman.com Melanie's app is definitely on of my resources. I have Gerry Kelly's book but it was published in 2011 so I assume that it will be a little out dated. I am really looking forward to beginning.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, if you are bonkers, so am I as I'm starting about the 9th of June. Maybe we'll bump into each other!

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back