• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Via de la Plata from Malaga

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
i am planning to start from Seville and am flying into Malaga 5 May. Is it worth it to start in Malaga? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i am planning to start from Seville and am flying into Malaga 5 May. Is it worth it to start in Malaga? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hola, Kevin,

Starting in Malaga would mean that you walk Camino Mozarabe to Merida where it connects with Via de la Plata. Other "official" starting points of Camino Mozarabe are Jaen, Alcaudete and Granada:
http://www.rayyrosa.com/loscaminos

Otherwise search though Camino Mozarabe subforum or:
http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/47/camino-mozarabe/

Anyway Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Beginning in Malaga is not the VDLP.
I began walking that route last year and really didn't enjoy it.
I stopped after about a week because all there was for miles and miles were miles and miles of olive groves.
No shade. No water. No people. No nothing.
Just olive groves.
I got bored . . .
But if you love solitude - a good route for that!

Are you talking about the Vdlp or Mozarabe being boring?

QUOTE="Anniesantiago, post: 509341, member: 3502"]Beginning in Malaga is not the VDLP.
I began walking that route last year and really didn't enjoy it.
I stopped after about a week because all there was for miles and miles were miles and miles of olive groves.
No shade. No water. No people. No nothing.
Just olive groves.
I got bored . . .
But if you love solitude - a good route for that![/QUOTE]

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Let me know how you get on, I'm planning on doing this in March next year, and boy do I have a lot of questions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Magwood made a weblog about her walk from Malaga and I got the impression that it is not boring.

https://magwood.me/my-caminos/camino-mozarabe/

Only you must be prepared on meeting not so many other pilgrims.

Indeed you will see some olives in the first days but always with changing backgrounds of hills and mountains.

Last year I walked from Almeria to Merida so I joined the Malaga route in Baena.

Especially Cordoba to Merida was through an amazing dehesa landscape.

Yes, every Camino has some boring parts, wherever you start.

The Camino is different from French and British long distance paths that avoid big cities and long straight roads.

From Sevilla there are also long stredges without shade. The only solution is to walk in the spring or the autumn and avoid the summer heat.

The Camino Mozarabe starting Malaga was my first Camino in 2008 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It joins the VdlP in Merida.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Kevin - you can easily travel from Malaga to Sevilla to start the Via de la Plata which I've walked several times. More recently I've been exploring the Camino Mozárabe and I've walked to Merida twice on this route and both times there were other pilgrims around. I find this route really charming - great scenery, very good walking and very friendly and helpful local people. Good luck deciding!

Magwood made a weblog about her walk from Malaga and I got the impression that it is not boring.

https://magwood.me/my-caminos/camino-mozarabe/

Only you must be prepared on meeting not so many other pilgrims.

Indeed you will see some olives in the first days but always with changing backgrounds of hills and mountains.

Last year I walked from Almeria to Merida so I joined the Malaga route in Baena.

Especially Cordoba to Merida was through an amazing dehesa landscape.

Yes, every Camino has some boring parts, wherever you start.

The Camino is different from French and British long distance paths that avoid big cities and long straight roads.

From Sevilla there are also long stredges without shade. The only solution is to walk in the spring or the autumn and avoid the summer heat.
Thank you Carel5. Based on your comments and Magwood's I would have started from Malaga but in the past few days my first Camino friend reached out and will be in Seville so I think The Camino spirit wants me to start there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Annie,
I was Maggie's walking partner from Malaga to Merida, I can't say I found Malaga to Merida boring, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there a lot of olives for sure.
Regards
George

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back