• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Via de la Plata & Sanabres on April 20, 2023

hacienda

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2009)
My wife (71 years old) and I (73 years old) are starting Via de la Plata & Sanabres on April 20 from Seville. Our first Camino was Camino Frances in 2009 and we walked Via de la Plata until Zamora in 2011. We also walked majority of Camino del Norte in 2018. This year we plan to walk all the way to Santiago de Compostella and we are excited and nervous at the same time.

Because of our age we will walk maximum about 20 km daily if possible and take 5 or 6 rest days.

We also plan to stay at double room at a private albergue/casa rural/hotel if at all possible to have a nice sleep and rest. I have been compiling the list of these private lodgings.

My research shows that a dormitory type albergue is the only option at around 5 stages.

We are trying to minimize the backpack weight and so are wondering whether we need to bring at least down blanket for our stay at a dormitory type albergue just in case they do not provide a blanket.

We will slow down and enjoy our walking together and challenge at our age.

Hope to meet fellow peregrinos on the road and Buen Camino!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Because one can’t be sure of having an albergue dorm with blankets, I always carry a light 1- season sleeping bag with me. My 1.1 pound Kjallraven Funas Lite has been all I’ve ever needed. As there were times on the VDLP where I was in albergues without blankets, my sleeping bag was most welcomed. I, too, am conscious of my pack weight, but a light bag like mine is minimal and then I don’t worry about being cold at night. Buen Camino!

First and foremost. Buen Camino, or more appropriately, for me at least, Ultreia!

You've done this before. You know what brings you joy, what works for you, and what you need.

My 2 cents. Mid April, starting in Seville. Shelter preference. I'd say a light weight sleeping bag liner is all you'll need. Along with whatever rain protection you prefer.

Renew your faith in knowing the Camino will ALWAYS provide. I have too many stories about Camino magic. It's real. When we listen.

As a soon to be 9 time offender / Camino addict (yes I'll be walking out of Seville on April 16th and not stopping until I throw my trail runners into the ocean at Muxi) I'm confident the Camino will reinvigorate my belief there is more good on this planet than anything else. Especially when approached with an open mind, heart, and soul.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Because one can’t be sure of having an albergue dorm with blankets, I always carry a light 1- season sleeping bag with me. My 1.1 pound Kjallraven Funas Lite has been all I’ve ever needed. As there were times on the VDLP where I was in albergues without blankets, my sleeping bag was most welcomed. I, too, am conscious of my pack weight, but a light bag like mine is minimal and then I don’t worry about being cold at night. Buen Camino!
Thank you very much for your input.

First and foremost. Buen Camino, or more appropriately, for me at least, Ultreia!

You've done this before. You know what brings you joy, what works for you, and what you need.

My 2 cents. Mid April, starting in Seville. Shelter preference. I'd say a light weight sleeping bag liner is all you'll need. Along with whatever rain protection you prefer.

Renew your faith in knowing the Camino will ALWAYS provide. I have too many stories about Camino magic. It's real. When we listen.

As a soon to be 9 time offender / Camino addict (yes I'll be walking out of Seville on April 16th and not stopping until I throw my trail runners into the ocean at Muxi) I'm confident the Camino will reinvigorate my belief there is more good on this planet than anything else. Especially when approached with an open mind, heart, and soul.
I really appreciate your encouraging and positive words. Please have a wonderful pilgrimage. I will carry a decent rain poncho as I encountered several rains in 2011. We'd be better prepared than being sorry. Take care!!!

I really appreciate your encouraging and positive words. Please have a wonderful pilgrimage. I will carry a decent rain poncho as I encountered several rains in 2011. We'd be better prepared than being sorry. Take care!!!
Always remember. The heaviest thing we carry on our backs is our fear.
Learn from, and about, those you encounter. Have faith that it will all work out in the end; even when it's not as planned. Most importantly, laugh at the situations you find yourself in and be amazed at how well you overcome any challenges. In the end everything will work out as it was meant to be. Peace & Love!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Which places are you having problems finding accommodation?

Which places are you having problems finding accommodation?
Gerald,

I have your Via app on my iPhone.

I am not 100% sure but to the best of my research the following locations have a dorm type albergue only.

Aljusen, Alcuescar, Santa Marta de Tera, Rio negro de Puente, Oseira (Monastery).

I will keep looking for suitable lodgings other than albergue for two of us.

Thank you.

Always remember. The heaviest thing we carry on our backs is our fear.
Learn from, and about, those you encounter. Have faith that it will all work out in the end; even when it's not as planned. Most importantly, laugh at the situations you find yourself in and be amazed at how well you overcome any challenges. In the end everything will work out as it was meant to be. Peace & Love!
Again I really appreciate your wisdom and advice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gerald,

I have your Via app on my iPhone.

I am not 100% sure but to the best of my research the following locations have a dorm type albergue only.

Aljusen, Alcuescar, Santa Marta de Tera, Rio negro de Puente, Oseira (Monastery).

I will keep looking for suitable lodgings other than albergue for two of us.

Thank you.

Aljusen has a very swanky Roman themed hotel complete with banqueting and hot baths: www.aqualibera.com

Alcuescar, a bit before the town is Albergue TurĂ­stico Los Olivos, which has private rooms. I stayed there once, it was fine for what you pay.

Santa Marta de Tera doesn't have much but about 4km further on and a little way off the Camino is Camarzana de Tera where Hotel Juan Manuel has rooms and a good restaurant.

Rio Negro del Puente just has an albergue. But it's a nice one.

Ditto Oseira, the Xunta albergue there is new. If you went the other route there's a hotel which has been recommended,
Restaurante Hostal Ateneo about 7km after Cea. (these should all be in the app). Otherwise the online guide https://www.viadelaplataguide.net/guide/listofplaces

Aljusen has a very swanky Roman themed hotel complete with banqueting and hot baths: www.aqualibera.com

Alcuescar, a bit before the town is Albergue TurĂ­stico Los Olivos, which has private rooms. I stayed there once, it was fine for what you pay.

Santa Marta de Tera doesn't have much but about 4km further on and a little way off the Camino is Camarzana de Tera where Hotel Juan Manuel has rooms and a good restaurant.

Rio Negro del Puente just has an albergue. But it's a nice one.

Ditto Oseira, the Xunta albergue there is new. If you went the other route there's a hotel which has been recommended,
Restaurante Hostal Ateneo about 7km after Cea. (these should all be in the app). Otherwise the online guide https://www.viadelaplataguide.net/guide/listofplaces
Thank you so much for information. It will be most helpful. Just in case I will carry either a light sleeping bag or down blanket for my wife, and a sleeping bag liner for me.

Further to Gerald’s excellent post, I can recommend the Roman meal at Aqualibera at Aljucén, which was absolutely delicious. Last May I stayed at Casa Rural Mérida in the town which was lovely and ate dinner at Aqualibera with my pilgrim friend Wanda who stayed there. An added bonus at Casa Rural Mérida was a family of pet tortoises whose quiet and cute presence in the courtyard made my stay there very pleasant.

I stayed at Hotel Juan Manuel at Camarzana de Tera and it was fantastic - the room was spacious, the food excellent and you can have whatever meal you like at any time - no need to wait for an 8pm dinner service. The staff are very helpful and friendly.

The albergue at Rionegro del Puente is very good and really comfortable with a good supply of blankets. Opposite the albergue is Me Gusta Comer where the food is exceptional. From memory, last May, the five-course meal, wine and post-dinner liqueurs included, was €13 - it was a highlight of my camino. If you’re both foodies, Me Gusta Comer won’t disappoint!

Have a wonderful camino -

Best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife (71 years old) and I (73 years old) are starting Via de la Plata & Sanabres on April 20 from Seville
We will be a few days behind you and wont be walking such great daily distances either only because we want to spend more time looking at things along the way. No need to rush for us...such a long way to get there as it is.

We will slow down and enjoy our walking together and challenge at our age.

Hope to meet fellow peregrinos on the road and Buen Camino!!
We will be starting a few days later and also walking shorter stages so might meet you along the way.
We also prefer private accomodation when available so thank you for the post.
I’m taking note of all the suggestions.
Buen Camino

Further to Gerald’s excellent post, I can recommend the Roman meal at Aqualibera at Aljucén, which was absolutely delicious. Last May I stayed at Casa Rural Mérida in the town which was lovely and ate dinner at Aqualibera with my pilgrim friend Wanda who stayed there. An added bonus at Casa Rural Mérida was a family of pet tortoises whose quiet and cute presence in the courtyard made my stay there very pleasant.

I stayed at Hotel Juan Manuel at Camarzana de Tera and it was fantastic - the room was spacious, the food excellent and you can have whatever meal you like at any time - no need to wait for an 8pm dinner service. The staff are very helpful and friendly.

The albergue at Rionegro del Puente is very good and really comfortable with a good supply of blankets. Opposite the albergue is Me Gusta Comer where the food is exceptional. From memory, last May, the five-course meal, wine and post-dinner liqueurs included, was €13 - it was a highlight of my camino. If you’re both foodies, Me Gusta Comer won’t disappoint!

Have a wonderful camino -

Best wishes from Oz -
Jenny
Thank you very much for the great info. We hope to enjoy our camino by walking slowly and enjoying the scenery.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We will be a few days behind you and wont be walking such great daily distances either only because we want to spend more time looking at things along the way. No need to rush for us...such a long way to get there as it is.
We also will not rush and take all the time. God willing we may meet you on the camino.

We will be starting a few days later and also walking shorter stages so might meet you along the way.
We also prefer private accomodation when available so thank you for the post.
I’m taking note of all the suggestions.
Buen Camino
Great! Take care and let's hope we will meet each other on the camino. Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi I took a lightweight Aegismax down sleeping bag about 650gm. Very compact. I used a silk sleep sheet (30gm) and lucked in with blanket at the albergues if I was cold (Just by asking politely . ÂżTienes mantas por favor?) I also had a lightweight wrap which one of its many uses doubled up as an overthrow on the the sleeping bag. I also had rest stops in the major cities. It's a great Camino and if you don't rush should take about 40-42 days to complete. Enjoy and Buen Camino.

Hi I took a lightweight Aegismax down sleeping bag about 650gm. Very compact. I used a silk sleep sheet (30gm) and lucked in with blanket at the albergues if I was cold (Just by asking politely . ÂżTienes mantas por favor?) I also had a lightweight wrap which one of its many uses doubled up as an overthrow on the the sleeping bag. I also had rest stops in the major cities. It's a great Camino and if you don't rush should take about 40-42 days to complete. Enjoy and Buen Camino.
Thank you so much for your info. We will enjoy our 2nd via de la plata which is much less crowded than Camino Frances.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I can’t help but respond to the call of the Camino…perfect experience . The VdlP has me puzzling over the weather in April & May. Sleeping bag or not?
In the past, I’ve gone with a Thermalite sleep sack & silk sleeping sack.
Have you previously experienced the VdlP in April?
Would appreciate your advice.

I walked the VdlP starting in late April and I needed my down quilt inside my silk sac. My understanding is that the Thermalise sack only adds 8 degrees - and that might not be enough.

I can’t help but respond to the call of the Camino…perfect experience . The VdlP has me puzzling over the weather in April & May. Sleeping bag or not?
In the past, I’ve gone with a Thermalite sleep sack & silk sleeping sack.
Have you previously experienced the VdlP in April?
Would appreciate your advice.
Don't know if you were asking me for an opinion, but just in case you were.

Right now my plan is similar to your thoughts. My Thermalite Reactor combined with silk sleeping sack has met my needs. I do have a 3 season sleeping bag the is fairly compact & lightweight.

As my VDLP start is still 2 months away, I'll check the weather forecast a few days before and make a decision. Another option is to pack a pair of athletic tights / long underwear. Combined with a long sleeve compression top, and a buff for my head, and I can sleep comfortably without full bag. Truth be told my inflatable pillow has more affect on my comfort.

I'm expecting warming temps south of Salamanca, and some rain. North of Salamanca hopefully will be a bit drier, though temps at higher altitudes tend to be cooler. Time will tell.

Have walked VdlP last year in 2 stages (April and Sept/October). Have slept in the auberges mentioned (except Oseira). Had only a liner with me, no sleeping bag, which was adequate for me. Most albergues has blankets. Just a question: in most cases you and your wife will have private accomodations. Why carry a sleeping bag with you, when almost not needed? If really cold in the auberge, you can use addiotional cloth layers.

Even in private accommodation in Spain, there’s little or no heating except in Winter and after a days walk your body cools down a lot so I definitely feel the cold at night. Fortunately on the VDLP unlike the other Camino’s in Spain there is usually air conditioning in private accommodation so I was able to crank the heat up to dry my clothes and walking shoes, when the weather on day one in Guillena was in torrential rain In April. After that the weather was warm and dry as far as Caceres, where I stopped.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Even in private accommodation in Spain, there’s little or no heating except in Winter and after a days walk your body cools down a lot so I definitely feel the cold at night. Fortunately on the VDLP unlike the other Camino’s in Spain there is usually air conditioning in private accommodation so I was able to crank the heat up to dry my clothes and walking shoes, when the weather on day one in Guillena was in torrential rain In April. After that the weather was warm and dry as far as Caceres, where I stopped.
Thank you for the info.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the VĂ­a de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back