• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Statistics August 2018

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think last year in conversation (not PM) with Laurie I mentioned the trend is going to slow down. And obviously it is happening. Every tube has its capacity, same as the Camino (Frances especially).

Is that good or bad? I don't know. There are many more Caminos to walk. I'm addicted and I admit that ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is 2010 a good year for comparison as it was a Holy Year? One would expect higher numbers in a Holy year, No?

Is 2010 a good year for comparison as it was a Holy Year? One would expect higher numbers in a Holy year, No?
Yes, which is why it is amazing that every year since the Holy Year has seen record numbers (mostly). August is the first month this year where the Holy Year number was larger. Every other month beat the Holy Year! (adjusted for the month in which Easter occurred):)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, which is why it is amazing that every year since the Holy Year has seen record numbers (mostly). August is the first month this year where the Holy Year number was larger. Every other month beat the Holy Year! (adjusted for the month in which Easter occurred):)

Not sure, but the weather was extremely hot in early August...this may also have need a factor for the decrease.

It'll be interesting to see the numbers for September, October, and November when they are tallied.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would like to know how these statistics deal with pilgrims who walk more than one camino in a sequence. For example, if I walk the Madrid, the middle of the Frances, and the Invierno, where would my pilgrimage be listed in the statistics? Would this be attributed to only one route: to the first (Madrid), the last (Invierno) or all three?

I would like to know how these statistics deal with pilgrims who walk more than one camino in a sequence. For example, if I walk the Madrid, the middle of the Frances, and the Invierno, where would my pilgrimage be listed in the statistics? Would this be attributed to only one route: to the first (Madrid), the last (Invierno) or all three?
Most likely just the Madrid. Both as starting point and as Camino. At least that happened to me in 2014 when I went to pick up Pro Vicario Compostela and four volunteers haven't even heard of CdM and CdI. I was main attraction for a few minutes :D

Most likely just the Madrid. Both as starting point and as Camino. At least that happened to me in 2014 when I went to pick up Pro Vicario Compostela and four volunteers haven't even heard of CdM and CdI. I was main attraction for a few minutes :D
@KinkyOne
So then neither your walk on the Invierno, nor mine, if I walk it next year, would ever be recorded. There may be many more pilgrims there than appear on the statistics.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@KinkyOne
So then neither your walk on the Invierno, nor mine, if I walk it next year, would ever be recorded. There may be many more pilgrims there than appear on the statistics.
YES to both of your statements/questions.
And you can't get back to the PO another day and claim another Compostela for Invierno because you will already have a final stamp in your credencial ;)
It just is what it is.

Pilgrim statistics are just that, an estimation. As I know, me included, repeat offenders don't obtain their Compostelas so we aren't in stats. Talking about PO in SdC of course.

In 2015 after Levante & Sanabres I went to PO just to sign in for the stats sake but the guy didn't put me in because I said I wasn't there for the Compostela :D

I guess you'll have to decide for which Camino you will receive Compostela ;)

I would like to know how these statistics deal with pilgrims who walk more than one camino in a sequence.
You declare it. Your starting point would be Madrid. You can give any camino you want. You are IN Santiago, so they know you got there; tell them the Invierno, and they will enter it in their records. You will have to pick one, but your distance certificate, if you get one, will add Madrid, Frances, and Invierno. Their numbers may be different than yours! You can debate it with them, but I don't know how successful that will be.:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of the many things I enjoy about looking at the statistics is seeing how the composition of the Camino changes during different seasons. As might be expected, the summer sees an increase in young people and students, but the differences are really startling. In August, for example, 23% of those receiving the compostela were students. Last May, only 7% of compostela recipients were students. Similarly, retirees constituted 5% of compostela recipients in August but 22% in May. The age breakdown followed the same pattern. In August, 35% of compostela recipients were under 30, while only 8% were over 60. In May, by contrast, 15% were under 30, while 29% were over 60. (The number between 30 and 60 remained constant at 57%).

Even more startling is the breakdown by country. In August, 60% of compostela recipients were Spanish; in May, only 28%. Lots of Italians over the summer, too (14% of compostela earners) vs. only 8% in May, By contrast, many more Americans in the spring (7% of compostela recipients in May vs. 2% in August).

Overall, the statistics continue to reflect a 3 year decline in the number of pilgrims following the Frances — if the Sarria to Santiago stretch is excluded. Excluding those Sarria to Santiago pilgrims, 15,108 pilgrims walking the Frances received compostelas in August, 2018, vs. 16,505 in August, 2017, an 8% decrease. If we go back to August, 2015, the decrease is 18%. (18,497 pilgrims in August, 2015 vs. 15,108 in August, 2018).

On the other hand, the number walking the Sarria to Santiago section only continues to climb sharply — 15,266 in August, 2015, 16,133 in August, 2017 and 18,273 in August, 2018, a 20% increase in three years.

Here’s the source for all the numbers, if you want to have fun examining them yourselves: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.