• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Statistics for June 2018

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

It is a record June. Male/female is split at 50%. The USA tops the foreign pilgrim list. The Camino Frances still dominates, as does Sarria as a starting point.

Camino seguido.
Los caminos que han seguido la mayoría de los peregrinos son Frances-Camino de con 27.346 (59,86%); Portugues-Camino con 8.522 (18,65%); Norte-Camino de con 2.631 (5,76%); Primitivo-Camino con 1.958 (4,29%); Costa Camino Portugues con 1.789 (3,92%); Ingles-Camino con 1.737 (3,80%); Via de la Plata con 1.363 (2,98%); Muxia-Finisterre con 175 (0,38%); Invierno de Camino con 104 (0,23%); Otros caminos con 59 (0,13%); etc.

Extranjeros: 28.264 (61,87%); el país que mayor número de peregrinos aporta es Estados Unidos, con 4.089 (14,47%); Italia, con 3.917 (13,86%); Alemania, con 3.673 (13,00%); Portugal, con 1.806 (6,39%); Francia, con 1.524 (5,39%); Irlanda, con 1.157 (4,09%); Reino Unido, con 1.149 (4,07%); Brasil, con 939 (3,32%); etc.

La Peregrinación a Santiago en Junio de 2018

Durante el mes de Junio de 2018 en la Oficina de Peregrinaciones se recibieron 45.684 peregrinos; el anterior Año Santo en 2010 fueron 33.757. De estos peregrinos, 22.941 (50,22%) son mujeres y 22.743 (49,78%) hombres. A pie han llegado 41.783 (91,46%), en bicicleta 3.787 (8,29%), a caballo 78 (0,17%) y 27 (0,06%) en silla de ruedas.

Lugar de salida.
La mayor parte de los peregrinos llegados en este año 2018 ha iniciado su camino en Sarria con 11.793 (25,81%); S. Jean P. Port con 6.042 (13,23%); Oporto con 3.562 (7,80%); Tui con 2.587 (5,66%); León con 1.663 (3,64%); Ferrol con 1.561 (3,42%); Oviedo - C.P. con 1.318 (2,89%); Cebreiro con 1.243 (2,72%); Ponferrada con 921 (2,02%); Irún con 918 (2,01%); Valença do Minho con 904 (1,98%); Roncesvalles con 881 (1,93%); Oporto Costa con 781 (1,71%); Le Puy con 574 (1,26%); Pamplona con 572 (1,25%); Astorga con 530 (1,16%); Burgos con 462 (1,01%); Lugo - C.P. con 433 (0,95%); Ourense con 433 (0,95%); Lisboa con 407 (0,89%); Sevilla con 396 (0,87%)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for posting this, falcon. I ran a Google translation for the Spanish language parts to help me out with the context, so I did a quick copy -n- paste.

Road followed.
The roads that most pilgrims have followed are Frances-Camino de with 27,346 (59.86%); Portugues-Camino with 8,522 (18.65%); North-Camino de with 2,631 (5.76%); Primitivo-Camino with 1,958 (4.29%); Costa Camino Portugues with 1,789 (3.92%); Ingles-Camino with 1,737 (3.80%); Via de la Plata with 1,363 (2.98%); Muxia-Finisterre with 175 (0.38%); Camino Winter with 104 (0.23%); Other roads with 59 (0.13%); etc.

Foreigners: 28,264 (61.87%); the country with the largest number of pilgrims is the United States, with 4,089 (14.47%); Italy, with 3,917 (13.86%); Germany, with 3,673 (13.00%); Portugal, with 1,806 (6.39%); France, with 1,524 (5.39%); Ireland, with 1,157 (4.09%); United Kingdom, with 1,149 (4.07%); Brazil, with 939 (3.32%); etc.

The Pilgrimage to Santiago in June 2018
45,684 pilgrims were received during the month of June 2018 in the Pilgrimage Office; the previous Holy Year in 2010 were 33,757. Of these pilgrims, 22,941 (50.22%) are women and 22,743 (49.78%) men. On foot, 41,783 (91.46%) arrived, by bicycle, 3,787 (8.29%), on horseback 78 (0.17%) and 27 (0.06%) on a wheelchair.

Place of departure
Most of the pilgrims arrived in 2018 have started their journey in Sarria with 11,793 (25.81%); S. Jean P. Port with 6,042 (13.23%); Porto with 3.562 (7.80%); Tui with 2.587 (5.66%); Leon with 1,663 (3.64%); Ferrol with 1.561 (3.42%); Oviedo - CP with 1,318 (2.89%); Cebreiro with 1,243 (2.72%); Ponferrada with 921 (2.02%); Irún with 918 (2.01%); Valença do Minho with 904 (1.98%); Roncesvalles with 881 (1.93%); Porto Costa with 781 (1.71%); Le Puy with 574 (1.26%); Pamplona with 572 (1.25%); Astorga with 530 (1.16%); Burgos with 462 (1.01%); Lugo - CP with 433 (0.95%); Ourense with 433 (0.95%); Lisbon with 407 (0.89%); Seville with 396 (0.87%) uo - CP with 433 (0.95%); Ourense with 433 (0.95%); Lisbon with 407 (0.89%); Seville with 396 (0.87%) Lugo - CP with 433 (0.95%); Ourense with 433 (0.95%); Lisbon with 407 (0.89%); Seville with 396 (0.87%)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And looking at the numbers from another angle (Pilgrims statistics – 1st half of 2018):
The overall number of pilgrim arrivals registered during the first half of 2018 exceeded 123’000. This is an increase of 11’158 (+10 %) compared to 2017 and repeats an overall yearly Camino pilgrims’ trend which we have been seeing since 2014.
The yearly ratio of Camino Francés (CF) walkers, compared to total arrivals in Santiago, has been slowing by 2 to 3 percentage points, from 68% in 2014 to 58% in 2018.
The number of CF arrivals show a shift in their starting points. Sarria was chosen by 47% of the CF walkers (+33’424), representing an increase of 12% compared to 2017. The other 53% of CF walkers (38’234) show a decrease of 2%, thus affecting the overall dynamics.
CF walkers, for example, increased by “only” 4% compared to the same period last year, whereas walkers steadily increased on the Portugués by 26%, the Norte 7%, the Primitivo 8% and the Inglés 25%. The Via de la Plata had +3%.

And looking at the numbers from another angle (Pilgrims statistics – 1st half of 2018):
The overall number of pilgrim arrivals registered during the first half of 2018 exceeded 123’000. This is an increase of 11’158 (+10 %) compared to 2017 and repeats an overall yearly Camino pilgrims’ trend which we have been seeing since 2014.
The yearly ratio of Camino Francés (CF) walkers, compared to total arrivals in Santiago, has been slowing by 2 to 3 percentage points, from 68% in 2014 to 58% in 2018.
The number of CF arrivals show a shift in their starting points. Sarria was chosen by 47% of the CF walkers (+33’424), representing an increase of 12% compared to 2017. The other 53% of CF walkers (38’234) show a decrease of 2%, thus affecting the overall dynamics.
CF walkers, for example, increased by “only” 4% compared to the same period last year, whereas walkers steadily increased on the Portugués by 26%, the Norte 7%, the Primitivo 8% and the Inglés 25%. The Via de la Plata had +3%.

Scarey !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I wonder if that means first-time pilgrims are choosing other routes than CF to start with, or if the increase rate of people doing a 2nd and 3rd camino is faster than the rise in first-timers.

It is a record June. Male/female is split at 50%. The USA tops the foreign pilgrim list. The Camino Frances still dominates, as does Sarria as a starting point.

Would be nice to see the bottom of the list too! Sadly the website does not give the full list...........I think. Couldn't find one.

I can verify that Thailand claimed a Pilgrim that month! My wife Pat.......

Certainly the CF is getting busy. I wonder at what point, if ever, it will reach saturation during peak periods.
It felt like it already had a couple of times this year. :oops:[/QUOTE]

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Would be nice to see the bottom of the list too! Sadly the website does not give the full list...........I think. Couldn't find one.
The statistic site is here:
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/

But Thailand is part of "Resto paises".

So there is no increase on the Camino Frances before Sarria.
And if I walk the Camino de Invierno I will avoid the rush.

Last edited:
I wonder if that means first-time pilgrims are choosing other routes than CF to start with, or if the increase rate of people doing a 2nd and 3rd camino is faster than the rise in first-timers.
It would be interesting to know how many pilgrims are new, first time on a particular camino but have walked before, and repeating what they have done before. The data collection at the Pilgrim Office would be more complex, so it won't happen (the data should be of more interest to the Xunta than to the Cathedral. Forum Members would be interested because we are a curious bunch!).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I recall telling Pat a couple of years ago that 3 Thais had walked that year.........

There are PDF's for the annual statistics on the the statisitcs page listing the numbers from each country. Usually the previous year goes up about February, but thus far 2017 has not appeared. I am waiting to see the statistics from each country, but thus far I am waiting in vain! That is probably where you saw how many Thai people walked in a year.

Did I get the math correct? If there were 45,684 pilgrims in June 2018, and 33,757 pilgrims in the last Holy Year, 2010, I calculated the increase at 35%.

I leave Saturday, arrive on Sunday, and start working at the Pilgrim Office on Monday, for a month. Need to get psyched for this...

We all knew the wave was building. Ready or not, here it comes!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did I get the math correct? If there were 45,684 pilgrims in June 2018, and 33,757 pilgrims in the last Holy Year, 2010, I calculated the increase at 35%.

I leave Saturday, arrive on Sunday, and start working at the Pilgrim Office on Monday, for a month. Need to get psyched for this...

We all knew the wave was building. Ready or not, here it comes!

Thank you for your kind work at the Pilgrim Office and on this forum t2andreo! Travel safe amigo!

Notable again is the overall DECREASE in Pilgrims on the Frances if we subtract out those who only walked Sarria to Santiago. If we subtract out the Sarria - Santiago pilgrims, 15,520 pilgrims walked the Frances and received compostelas in June, 2017, while 15,373 pilgrims earned compostelas in June, 2018. This is consistent with a several year trend. Numbers on the Frances — the last stretch excepted — are going down.

The issue on the Frances is something called "Peak Pilgrim." This describes a situation where the carrying capacity of the Camino Frances becomes saturated and additional pilgrims worsen the overall experience by placing inordinate strain on accommodations and eating places. This stated, I do not think we are there yet.

What I see in the statistics is a trend to try alternative routes for the experience or to avoid crowds. Also, the summer season is just now arriving. Let us see what things look like by September.

My suspicion is that the Sarria - Santiago stretch will reach Peak Pilgrim first. Once this happens, those seeking to do as close to 100 km as they can will self-distribute to Tui (Portuguese), Monforte de Lemos (Invierno), and other places where you can get to by train or bus and do the required minimum 100 km distance. As most of the commercial tour companies sell packages for the minimum distance, I suggest these stretches will become progressively more congested, especially from May - early September.

Just my observations...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The issue on the Frances is something called "Peak Pilgrim." This describes a situation where the carrying capacity of the Camino Frances becomes saturated and additional pilgrims worsen the overall experience by placing inordinate strain on accommodations and eating places. This stated, I do not thing we are there yet.

What I see in the statistics is a trend to try alternative routes for the experience. Also, the summer season is just now arriving. Let us see what things look like by September.

My suspicion is that the Sarria - Santiago stretch will reach Peak Pilgrim first. Once this happens, those seeking to do as close to 100 km as they can will self-distribute to Tui (Portuguese), Monforte de Lemos (Invierno), and other places where you can get to by train or bus and do the required minimum distance. As most of the commercial tour companies sell packages for the minimum distance, I suggest these stretches will become progressively more congested, especially from May - early September.

Just my observations...
I agree with that. We walked in our third Camino in May and June this year and observed people collecting stamps from Sarria onwards who didn’t appear to complete each stage. I believe their statistics would also be included.

Notable again is the overall DECREASE in Pilgrims on the Frances if we subtract out those who only walked Sarria to Santiago. If we subtract out the Sarria - Santiago pilgrims, 15,520 pilgrims walked the Frances and received compostelas in June, 2017, while 15,373 pilgrims earned compostelas in June, 2018. This is consistent with a several year trend. Numbers on the Frances — the last stretch excepted — are going down.

Ummmm. Not during May / June when we were there! The whole CF felt like the last 100 kms at times!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I finished my 2018 hard-wonderful-quiet Camino Aragones in Puente la Reina Gares on 4 June -- and my eyes bugged out the following morning at the sight of the mighty army of Camino Frances peregrinos marching down the Calle Mayor.... Not exaggerating.

Given that, what Sarria-Santiago will look/feel this summer I can scarcely imagine....

I''ve walked Sarria-Santiago twice, now, and (God willing!) will walk it again someday.... But maybe in the off-season.

Ummmm. Not during May / June when we were there! The whole CF felt like the last 100 kms at times!
Hi Robo: I didn’t say the CF wasn’t crowded, only that the numbers reflect it’s becoming less crowded in the past few years (Sarria - SDC section excepted). Still plenty of folk! To put crowded / not crowded in perspective, 6042 pilgrims finished the CF in June having started in the beginning (SJPP), while only 918 finished the Norte having started at its traditional starting point in Irun.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wonder if there is an actual decrease. Sarria - Santiago walkers are compostela walkers (which other reason would you have to walk that stretch), while I guess there are many pilgrims on the SJPP - Sarria part that already got their diploma on an earlier pilgrimage or even don't bother to walk the last part.

I wonder if there is an actual decrease. Sarria - Santiago walkers are compostela walkers (which other reason would you have to walk that stretch), while I guess there are many pilgrims on the SJPP - Sarria part that already got their diploma on an earlier pilgrimage or even don't bother to walk the last part.
That's true, but that hasn't changed over time. No reason to think more people are walking only a part of the Frances now than a few years ago.

No reason to think more people are walking only a part of the Frances now than a few years ago.

As a percentage, I agree with you. As absolute numbers, I am quite confident that there are more people each year now walking only a part of the Frances than in 1989.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a percentage, I agree with you. As absolute numbers, I am quite confident that there are more people each year now walking only a part of the Frances than in 1989.
Hi David: Obviously, if you go back to 1989 there are far more pilgrims walking on the Frances - all of it -now. But if you read the previous posts, you'd see we're only talking about a decrease in the number of non Sarria - Santiago pilgrims in the last few years (since 2015, to be precise).

I can verify that Thailand claimed a Pilgrim that month! My wife Pat.......

Certainly the CF is getting busy. I wonder at what point, if ever, it will reach saturation during peak periods.
It felt like it already had a couple of times this year. :oops:
[/QUOTE]

We are in Hostal Antolin on Portuguese Robo.
Tomorrow Pontovedra then the normal stops.
In Padron we will get the train , have walked this Camino before so not interested in papers etc.
From Vigo today we saw not one person in the 20 something km until Redondela.
The Portuguese from Caminha , via ferry to A' Guarda was peace and leisure combined. Many nationalities (15) and a great vibe. We deliberately chose short days as the island visit from Vigo is beautiful.
Heading to Muxia -Lires- Finisterre in a weeks time , it will be crowded.

I think Laurie is on the right track with Invierno .
**** The only thing that will stop the carnage is a 200 km Compostela which all would love ( including clergy in Spain / France) except the bosses in SDC.

Many are now realising you walk 680 km at your own pace in your own zone to be hit with the Travel Agents Tour for the last 100 km.
I think many now avoid this section and just walk on to Muxia /Finisterre especially if repeating any Caminos .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I finished on June 21, and I didn't find the trail too busy until after Sarria. It all changed there.
It was my impression that the vast majority of the bikers were men, so, if I am correct, the women have a greater majority of hikers than the statistics show.
After I finished, I went down and did part of the Portuguese Coastal Camino, and one albergue was so full that many slept on the floor, some camped outside, and some were picked up by an albergue from a neighboring community. Indeed, the Camino did provide, but bathrooms were busy---and the clotheslines were full....

Was it Tui ?
Odds on look on it was.

We are in Hostal Antolin on Portuguese Robo.
Tomorrow Pontovedra then the normal stops.
In Padron we will get the train , have walked this Camino before so not interested in papers etc.
From Vigo today we saw not one person in the 20 something km until Redondela.
The Portuguese from Caminha , via ferry to A' Guarda was peace and leisure combined. Many nationalities (15) and a great vibe. We deliberately chose short days as the island visit from Vigo is beautiful.
Heading to Muxia -Lires- Finisterre in a weeks time , it will be crowded.

I think Laurie is on the right track with Invierno .
**** The only thing that will stop the carnage is a 200 km Compostela which all would love ( including clergy in Spain / France) except the bosses in SDC.[/QUOTE]

I would love to know how many of those people doing Sarria to SdC are at their physical limits. Would requiring 200 km for a Compostela deny many people due to age or infirmity?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our 88 year old mother is hoping to walk from Sarria to Santiago. The 200km makes it impossible for her to get a Compostela.

I would love to know how many of those people doing Sarria to SdC are at their physical limits. Would requiring 200 km for a Compostela deny many people due to age or infirmity?
The compostela is an acknowledgement of a pilgrimage to the tomb of St. James, nothing more. It is a creation of the Church/Cathedral, which decided a few decades ago to establish criteria after being overwhelmed by requests from the 5 million plus supplicants each year for it, particularly in the Jubilee years. At one time, the compostela was for anyone who showed up at the tomb. Any change in distance requirements would be to solve a perceived problem with crowding from Sarria, not a solution to a desire for the minimal salvation offered by the compostela. I fail to see why the Archdiocese would care a great deal about albergue capacity problems. The private sector has done a decent job of containing the problem. The xunta might, but I also fail to see why it would be motivated to solve the problem by limiting eligibility for a compostela. Is it possible that the issue in the Forum is more one of the ego of pilgrims who want to make the compostela more important to them by preventing others from getting it? If three hundred thousand can get a compostela annually, perhaps the task is not the pinnacle of achievement we believe it to be, merely a triumph of hubris over humility?

The easiest way for the Cathedral to accommodate age and infirmity would not be to make them walk great distances; it would be an alternative paperwork solution! A triumph of humility over hubris, maybe.

Minimum distance for Compostela based upon age?

Distance = -8*Age + 660

Age in years; distance in Km.

Last edited:
Minimum distance for Compostela based upon age?

Distance = -8*Age + 660

Age in years; distance in Km.

8x 90 yrs =(720) less 660 =60 km for 90 yrs?
8x 70 yrs =560 less 660 = 100 km for 70 yrs?

I like it

8x40 yrs =320 less 660= 340 km for 40 yrs

I love it.

Well done , hope you are enjoying the wine when reading the replies you will receive.

I like it

I love it.

Well done , hope you are enjoying the wine when reading the replies you will receive.
Is this in Chinese???
:p:p:p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes. And phony Credentials too.

This would keep the riff-raff off the trails - all they have to do is show up at Santiago!

[QUOTE = "andycohn, post: 636206, member: 19805"] Notable again is the overall DECREASE in Pilgrims on the Frances if we subtract out those who only walked Sarria to Santiago. If we subtract out the Sarria - Santiago pilgrims, 15,520 pilgrims walked the Frances and received compost in June, 2017, while 15,373 pilgrims earned compost in June, 2018. This is consistent with a several year trend. Numbers on the Frances - the last stretch excepted - are going down. [/ QUOTE]

Not sure this is the only explanation. First time I walked to Santiago got a compostela. Second time, again on CF into Santiago did not get to compostela ... many pilgrims may not be going to the office ...

Last edited:

I like it

I love it.

I think your math is off there. The original post said "Distance = -8*Age + 660"
That is basically 660 - (8*age).

So you are right for 40 years and 70 years but off for 90 years. For a 90 year old, the requirement wouldn't be 60 km but negative 60 km.

With the original formula, the requirement reaches zero at age 82.5. At that point, you can just fly to Santiago and take a taxi to the cathedral. Once you are older, they start owing you kilometers!

On the other hand, a three year old would have to walk 636 km.

And a new born 660

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think your math is off there. The original post said "Distance = -8*Age + 660"
That is basically 660 - (8*age).

So you are right for 40 years and 70 years but off for 90 years. For a 90 year old, the requirement wouldn't be 60 km but negative 60 km.

With the original formula, the requirement reaches zero at age 82.5. At that point, you can just fly to Santiago and take a taxi to the cathedral. Once you are older, they start owing you kilometers!

On the other hand, a three year old would have to walk 636 km.

I could be right if the 780 km sign is allocated for the old bloke.
Have noticed today that there are many , many groups of young school kids entering the city.
I think the numbers have dropped compared to 10 yrs ago.
Not the number in the outdoors areas at night like years ago.
It is still a beautiful feeling.

[QUOTE = "sunwanderer, post: 639024, member: 48910"] Yes. And phony Credentials too. This would keep the riff-raff off the trails - they all have to show up at Santiago.

I really do not understand who you are referring to as riff-riff? Do you think that people who are walking the trails now would forego the experience to buy a fake credential? Really?

Last edited:
I was using the word "trail" loosely, alluding to those who take buses and taxis from place to place to collect their sellos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@falcon269 Have the numbers for July 2018 been published yet? I start my first Camino at the very end of August. Unlike pretty much everyone else on this forum (and I say the following with love), I'm hoping for a huge crowd! Many, many people meet. New friends to make, walk with, and get to know...all the way from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela!

Hi BookLover, don't worry too much about a too crowdy Camino Francés, if the trend from SJPP to Sarria is continuing to slow down as it has been doing this year. Last month (July) less pilgrims started from Saint Jean PP compared to the same month last year. Also the year-to-date figures from either Roncesvalles and Pamplona are way down. However, the number of pilgrims who started from Sarria increase staggeringly (so far + 12% compared to last year) and representing 47% of all Camino Francés arrivals.
There is no reason why this trend will slow (or rather "not increase substantially") for the present and next months.

I think (and that was what I mentioned two years ago in conversation with @peregrina2000 ) the numbers from SJPdP will gradually slow down exactly because the numbers from Sarria are rising. People that don't know CF (to say at least) are looking at overall numbers not knowing that majority of issued Compostelas are just for "last 100 km pilgrims" (which they aren't in my eyes).

Solution? Do we need one? ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
While we are waiting for someone to post the newest statistics from the Santiago pilgrims office with new all-time records: Noticias de Navarra reports that 2018 has been "a summer with fewer pilgrims" so far, with some pilgrim albergues in Navarra/Pamplona reporting 20% less occupation than usual. They are blaming it on the Football World Cup and the heat. Or perhaps more pilgrims are shunning albergue beds?

SJPP posted on Facebook their figures for July 2018: their numbers are down by 10% compared to July 2017. Same decrease in June 2018 compared to June 2017.

Castilla y Leon published the results of a study for the first half year 2018 with lots of percentages for pilgrims walking through the province. One figure that I noticed is the proportion of men to women: 70% of the pilgrim population was male. Compare this with the "male/female split at 50%" according to the SdC pilgrims office. Do proportionally more men than women embark on a longer pilgrimage or are they less likely to claim a Compostela? :cool:

13% made use of medical assistance during their way through CyL and nearly 30% had been on the Camino before: over 50% of Spanish pilgrims and nearly 20% of foreign pilgrims, so every second resp. every fifth pilgrim was on a "repeat camino".

Total annual numbers for Castilla y Leon are in the region of 60,000 to 70,000 I think. Watch out if you read something based on a Europa press article that miscalculated the total numbers for the CF in CyL.

Last edited:
They are blaming it on the Football World Cup and the heat.
I saw that article last night and was not convinced that these two reasons would fully account for the sharp drop in numbers. Why would these factors only affect the numbers walking the early stages of the CF: the pilgrim office statistics and head counts by albergues on other routes such as the Portugues and the Ingles continue to show increasing numbers. Also the numbers walking Sarria-Santiago are still increasing too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looking forward to some pilgrims who walked in July swinging by and telling us how the crowds were for them.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back