• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Statue in Burgos Cathedral

Wombat

Hi All,

In September 2009 I took this photograph in Burgos Cathedral. At the time I took it to be of St James because of the staff, gourd and scallop shells. Then at home I wondered wether it was in fact St James. The exposed leg and red ulcer(?) suggest that it may be San Roche. The other things that puzzle be are the wings and fish in his right hand.

Can someone explain these to a poor prodestant not well versed in these things.

Thanks

Kevin

Attachments

• Statue Burgos Cathedral-2284.jpg
    Statue Burgos Cathedral-2284.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 1,163
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I was in Burgos, in 2005, I was quite taken by this statue and took a photo which now hangs on the wall next to my Compostela.

I thought this was St Roch, but the fish confused me. After much Googling I found out that the statue actually depects the Archangel Raphael who is also a patron saint of travellers. http://www.aug.edu/augusta/iconography/raphael.html

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took many photographs of San Roch (aka Saint Rocco, Rochus; Roc; Roque; Rochus; Rok; Roko; Rókus) on my walks and was always amused by the different sites of his wound. Sometimes on the left leg, sometimes the right, sometimes on the thigh and sometimes below. And the size of his dog - sometimes small and often large.

Attachments

• SanRoqueventosa .jpg
    SanRoqueventosa .jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 922
  • Saint Roch.jpg
    Saint Roch.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 914
  • San Roque.jpg
    San Roque.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 920
Trudy said:
After much Googling I found out that the statue actually depects the Archangel Raphael who is also a patron saint of travellers.
yes, that makes sense. So the bared knee is presumably not damaged/infected at all. St Roch is often depicted with an angel, tho when I look more closely at this image, it's clear the wings are attached to the figure depicted, not separate, so the figure is an angel.

The scallops would seem to be used here as part of a general pilgrim/traveller iconography. You'll often see the claim that 'scallop' means 'St James', but this is a fallacy; many if not most scallop depictions have nothing to do with St James or Santiago.

Hi All,

Thank you Peter, Sil and especially Trudy. I can see why you have a photo of this statue on your wall Trudy. Of all the pictures that I say of Raphael on the web I like the statue the best.

Given this list of his patronage:

apothecaries; blind people; bodily ills; druggists; archdiocese of Dubuque, Iowa; eye problems; guardian angels; happy meetings; insanity; lovers; mental illness; nightmares, nurses; pharmacists; physicians; archdiocese of Seattle, Washington; shepherds; sick people; travelers; young people

He would be a guardian angel for the Camino.

Once again the forum provides the answer.

Kevin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pretty much certain that’s San Roque with his attributes of a leg wound and dog. Being on the Camino route the scallop shells are a bit of an added extra - I’m fairly sure I’ve seen a couple of Santa Maria Perigrina statues en-route. I just think of it as the sculptor covering all the angles.

I was fascinated by this statue when I saw it for the first time. It is indeed an archangel, apparently St Raphael.

I think that the fish gives him away. See also for example Wikipedia:

Iconography​

Raphael is said to guard pilgrims on their journeys, and is often depicted holding a staff. He is also often depicted holding or standing on a fish, which alludes to his healing of Tobit with the fish's gall.​
And as the formidable @Peter Robins noted earlier in this thread: “You'll often see the claim that 'scallop' means 'St James', but this is a fallacy; many if not most scallop depictions have nothing to do with St James or Santiago.”.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All,

In September 2009 I took this photograph in Burgos Cathedral. At the time I took it to be of St James because of the staff, gourd and scallop shells. Then at home I wondered wether it was in fact St James. The exposed leg and red ulcer(?) suggest that it may be San Roche. The other things that puzzle be are the wings and fish in his right hand.

Can someone explain these to a poor prodestant not well versed in these things.

Thanks

Kevin
As others have said it is St Raphael the Archangel who appears in the deuterocanonical book of Tobit. Raphael is the fellow pilgrim of Tobias who uses a fish to save his human companion from death on his wedding night and restore the sight of Tobias' father, Tobit. There is an almost identical image at the English College in Valladolid where I trained for the priesthood. We used to regularly nick the fish 😄

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
my companion (a hospitalera from albergue Emaus) and I enquired about this statue of a guide in the cathedral that she knew - I was of course curious who might this be, with wings and a fish, as I don't remember seeing it before and I have been collecting pilgrim representations for years now - and he said it is indeed archangel Raphael.

there is another statue of him, together with st Roch, in the church of st Esteban in Burgos.

2022-02181 Burgos sEsteban Raphael.JPG 2022-02180 Burgos sEsteban sRoque.JPG

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.