• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Statues at Monte do Gozo

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
I have read that the statues of the two pilgrims on Monte do Gozo were erected in 1993, a Holy Year. The sculptor was José María Acuña López. But Acuña died in 1991, at least 12 months or up to 3 years earlier. I don't suppose that Acuña was working up to the day of his death. Do you know why there was this gap between Acuña's death and the intallation of the statues? Do you know when the work was commisioned? Were they in storage for a year or two?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Really good questions. If I am understanding correctly, he started this particular work in 1987. So perhaps it was already completed before the 1993 Holy Year, which would have been a special time to unveil it in his late honor. This was the best I could find - but like you, I'd love to know more details.

Acuña, como Beethoven y Goya (archive, no paywall)

Acuña, like Beethoven and Goya (Google translate to English)

If I am understanding correctly, he started this particular work in 1987.
The linked article refers to a different pilgrim statue by Acuña. It can be found in Santiago itself and is apparently rarely photographed or seen by forum members.

See here:
And also here:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
According to this article the sculptures were made before 1991, and replaced to Monte de Gozo in 1993. (if I understand correctly, my knowledge of Spanish is limited). It does not mention where the sculptures were originally placed.

Actually his sculpture near O Cobreiro was also placed there in 1993 (at least that is what I read regularly) - after his death.

Last edited:
See footnote 26 in Peregrinos en piedra y bronce. El monumento conmemorativo jacobeo como patrimonio cultural y artístico del Camino by José Javier Azanza López. Who would have guessed that? :cool:
And we have yet another internet discrepancy! All the sites I looked at (OK 'all' = 2 or 3) said that the statues were erected in 1993 (a Holy Year, deffo), but that footnote in that very authoritative article says it was erected in 1994. Perhaps it was erected in 1993 but unveiled by some important celebrity in 1994? The footnote also says that the work is 3 metres high. Would that be the height of the figures or the height to the top of the higher staff?
And thanks, Kathar1na, for another great piece of detective work!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The linked article refers to a different pilgrim statue by Acuña. It can be found in Santiago itself and is apparently rarely photographed or seen by forum members.
Taken on a trial run to the old bus station with Peg so she could meet up with me in Fisterra.
T07000-HOR.jpg

See footnote 26 in Peregrinos en piedra y bronce. El monumento conmemorativo jacobeo como patrimonio cultural y artístico del Camino by José Javier Azanza López. Who would have guessed that? :cool:

Great find and a very interesting article. Thank you. It's incredible that Acuña first sketched the idea for this work (the one now in Monte do Gozo) in 1940. That charcoal drawing must also be a beauty to behold.

From footnote 26.... "Digno de mención es el proceso creador de la obra por parte de Acuña, cuyo origen se encuentra en un dibujo a carbón sobre papel que realizó hacia 1940 (La llegada a Santiago. 1940 ca. Carbón sobre papel. 22,3 x 16 cm)" / "Worthy of mention is the creative process of the work by Acuña, whose origin is found in a charcoal drawing on paper that he made around 1940 (Arrival in Santiago. c 1940. Charcoal on paper. 22.3 x 16cm)"

Last edited:
Taken on a trial run to the old bus station with Peg so she could meet up with me in Fisterra.
View attachment 138452
This statue is right along the English Way, and yes, it is difficult to spot, because as you walk southward you must turn around and look backwards to see it, in the roundabout where it resides. It is in the Praza da Paz, in the center of this large roundabout, just after you walk by the large administrative buildings of the Xunta da Galicia, about 1.5 km from the cathedral. It's a shame that more pilgrims don't see it. I liked it so much as used it on the cover of my resource.

Camino-Ingles-Book-Cover.jpg

Edit: Here's a map of its location, it's the yellow star:

Screenshot (21).png

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This statue is right along the English Way, and yes, it is difficult to spot, because as you walk southward you must turn around and look backwards to see it, in the roundabout where it resides. It is in the Praza da Paz, in the center of this large roundabout, just after you walk by the large administrative buildings of the Xunta da Galicia, about 1.5 km from the cathedral. It's a shame that more pilgrims don't see it. I liked it so much as used it on the cover of my resource.

I dropped a pin on the statue; it can be seen with Google Maps' satellite view. Going around the traffic circle using Street View it can also be seen but not very well. It is surrounded by shrubbery.

From footnote 26.... "Digno de mención es el proceso creador de la obra por parte de Acuña, cuyo origen se encuentra en un dibujo a carbón sobre papel que realizó hacia 1940 (La llegada a Santiago. 1940 ca. Carbón sobre papel. 22,3 x 16 cm)" / "Worthy of mention is the creative process of the work by Acuña, whose origin is found in a charcoal drawing on paper that he made around 1940 (Arrival in Santiago. c 1940. Charcoal on paper. 22.3 x 16cm)"

Thank you for quoting the full text of the footnote. I struggle to find the article (and can't really read Spanish either), but does the article mention when he actually made the pilgrim sculptures and where they were untill 1993/4 ?

it is difficult to spot, because as you walk southward you must turn around and look backwards to see it, in the roundabout where it resides
It is surrounded by shrubbery

I'm a self confessed "expert" in using street level imagery.

It still took me a quite a few moments to find its exact location in the shrubbery: image dated Sep 2022.

Might this be a case for the "relevant authorities" to have it "translated" to a place where a majority of pilgrims would see it, with a suitable plaque noting the subject and artist.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for quoting the full text of the footnote. I struggle to find the article (and can't really read Spanish either), but does the article mention when he actually made the pilgrim sculptures and where they were untill 1993/4 ?

Sorry, no, unfortunately. Just that the Monte de Gozo work was erected in 1994, as @Bert45 noted. Nothing about the time between Acuña's passing and its placement.

If you scroll to the photos at the end of the article, his statue on Alto San Roque is stated to have been erected in 1993. There is no photo of his beautiful statue in Santiago (thanks everyone for the info and special photos), but thanks to @Kathar1na we know that he celebrated its placement himself in 1987.

Here is the link to the article @Kathar1na found, with the relevant portions translated to English (via Google translate):

"Joy that overflows when from Monte do Gozo, they spot the background the towers of the cathedral of Santiago. “The arrival” by José María Acuña, a work of three meters high, installed in 1994 on Monte do Gozo, reproduces the joy of the pilgrims when they see the end of the path (Fig. 8). The sculptures stand out for the expressive force of gestures, again in a way characterizing the virtuosity of detail and the sincere expression of feelings in the work of the Galician sculptor. 26

"26 Worthy of mention is the creative process of the work by Acuña, whose origin is found in a charcoal drawing on paper that he made around 1940 (The arrival in Santiago. 1940 ca. Charcoal on paper. 22.3 x 16 cm); five decades later the set was transferred to a small bronze (The Arrival. 1990. Bronze. 48.5 x 31 x 30 cm). Finally, in 1994 –the artist having passed away- the 3m monumental complex was executed from the original bronze.

"Fig. 8. José María Acuña. La llegada. Monte do Gozo. 1994. Foto: J. J. Azanza."

Last edited:
I'm a self confessed "expert" in using street level imagery.

It still took me a quite a few moments to find its exact location in the shrubbery: image dated Sep 2022.

Might this be a case for the "relevant authorities" to have it "translated" to a place where a majority of pilgrims would see it, with a suitable plaque noting the subject and artist.
We're talking about two (or three) different statures here, Alwyn, There is the one in Praza da Paz and the other work, consisting of two figures, on Monte do Gozo. I am asking about the work on Monte do Gozo, which turns out to be an enlarged version produced after Acuña's death of a small maquette produced by him in his lifetime (obvs).

I am asking about the work on Monte do Gozo
@Bert45, thank you for the clarification. And yes, the title of your thread is quite clear.

With the assistance of @Kathar1na a lot of light has been shed on Acuña and his works..

I apologize if you feel I have appeared to sidetrack your enquiry.

My thoughts on relocation of the work at Praza da Paz arose like this.

Having read the material your question created, nostalgia had me using street level images to follow the street works leading down from Monte do Gozo and so on to the Cathedral. Even though I often had pilgrims with their poles and packs in the street level images to guide me, I still managed to get lost at times. Very seldom could I see a shell or yellow arrow to show the way ahead. And I reflected how I was guided out of Leon with yellow arrows on building corners or street kerbs (sometimes also an "X" showing the way not to go). And, yet again, I got lost exiting from Praza de Cervantes.

And then the Praza de Paz work popped up. And I was off.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.