• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Status in Santiago

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hola all,

Just a few words on the status in Santiago as of today March 21st 2020.

Personally we are in at our house just outside of Santiago, with garden... very lucky since we are not allowed to go out unless it is for:
- Going to work (for those that still have a job or can not work from home)
- Going to the get food, the bakery of supermarket
- Getting gas for your car

..everything else is pretty much not allowed. I go into Santiago 2 or 3 times a week to ship order from the store, otherwise I stay at home. My wife went to the supermarket today, we now have food for about a week (we try not too go too often).

I have not been in Santiago since Wednesday, but that morning I saw that they had cleaned all streets in old town with a disinfectant... it smelled clean all over. Almost no one in the streets. I later learned that this was done by the army... they are now patrolling the streets making sure only those that are supposed to are walking the streets (there are controls).

and more here:

But in and around Santiago it is just quiet.. the battles are fought at the hospitals. There are daily press conferences by the health ministry at 11.30 with the numbers from the last 24h.

Santiago is no place for pilgrims these days... but this will change, it might be a month, two or three... but we hope you have not abandoned the idea of the Camino.

Stay safe everyone!
Ivar

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola all,

Personally we are in at our house just outside of Santiago, with garden... very lucky since we are not allowed to go out unless it is for:

..everything else is pretty much not allowed. I go into Santiago 2 or 3 times a week to ship order from the store, otherwise I stay at home. My wife went to the supermarket today, we now have food for about a week (we try not too go too often).

I have not been in Santiago since Wednesday, but that morning I saw that they had cleaned all streets in old town with a disinfectant... it smelled clean all over. Almost no one in the streets. I later learned that this was done by the army... they are now patrolling the streets making sure only those that are supposed to are walking the streets (there are controls).

and more here:

But in and around Santiago it is just quiet.. the battles are fought at the hospitals. There are daily press conferences by the health ministry at 11.30 with the numbers from the last 24h.

Santiago is no place for pilgrims these days... but this will change, it might be a month, two or three... but we hope you have not abandoned the idea of the Camino.

Stay safe everyone!
Ivar
Thanks Ivar. It's very sad to hear but very necessary. Here in the UK we are just starting to lock down although we have been self isolating and social distancing. I am lucky that I have a small garden and my son has just dropped off some fruit and veg. We are booked to start our pilgrimage on 19th September, but I know in my heart it's not going to happen. I wish you and your family to stay safe and the same to all members of our wonderful forum family. Keeping you all in prayers 🙏 💗

So comforting to hear that you are okay.
I had seen the pictures of the patrols earlier and have been informed it is all for good of the community.

The great thing that occurred with advice coming through the forum from yourself Ivar and your group of moderators is that pilgrims ‘turned around and went home ‘. They didn’t continue and make Santiago a hub for this virus.

Thankyou , Thankyou. Thankyou.
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Only the hardcore "professional pilgrims" are still out on the trail, I have seen Julian and his little dog as well as Antonio the Portuguese, both moving east. There are pilgrims holed-up in Villafranca de Bierzo, Navarette, and at David's lean-to outside San Justo. A couple of well-heeled "adventurers" found themselves housed in the homeless shelter in Palencia last night, when Guardia Civil picked them up and nowhere more luxe could be found to put them. It's not really legal to be out walking now, fines are pretty stiff... but I think "gentlemen of the road" are known quantities and the Guardia don't really know what to do with them.

Hola all,

and more here:

Stay safe everyone!
Ivar
Ivar your post fills my heart with hope. I hope you and your family continue to stay safe and strong. 💚

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thankyou for you for the update Ivar 🙏
All the Caminos will be filled again with Pilgrims eager to get back as soon as possible 👣👣
Stay well🌞

Thank you for your updates Ivar and facilitating our Pilgrimages over the years. You have provided a great vehicle to share our excitement, questions and experience.
'Walk as if you are kissing the earth with you feet'
- (Thich Nhat Hann),
said the card on my table in the excellent Beilari Albergue in SJPDP.

Whilst the Camino's of the world are temporarily closed, the camino's in our hearts remain open and each day we can still 'kiss the earth with our feet'. So, I'm reflecting on Camino's past and those to come.

Best wishes to you, your family and all who share the good stuff that keeps us human.
Paul

Hola all,

and more here:

Stay safe everyone!
Ivar
Thanks Ivar. Writing from Colorado. Everything is closed here except for grocery, gas and pharmacy. Luckily we live in a small town in the mountains and can walk every day. Stay safe.

Attachments

• IMG_20200319_162900_904.jpg
    IMG_20200319_162900_904.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 31
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you, Ivar --- and Rebecca, for your reply. Be safe and well.

Hola all,

and more here:

Stay safe everyone!
Ivar
Thanks for the update, Ivar. Stay well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Ivar. Writing from Colorado. Everything is closed here except for grocery, gas and pharmacy. Luckily we live in a small town in the mountains and can walk every day. Stay safe.
Where in Colorado? I live in Conifer. Stay safe and healthy. We are blessed. Marilynn

Hola all,

and more here:

Stay safe everyone!
Ivar
Ivar, you genorosity of spirit, time and energy is very much appreciated! So interesting to review the pages of La Voz de Galicia, the photographs of the Army's presence and that one determined woman walking her Dachsund! Every Forum pilgrim who has wended their way to Santiago will recognize the church, the streets, the archways, under a sunny March sky. I am misty-eyed with longing! My prayers and love to all of Spain and three extra prayers for Galicia, for Santiago de Compostela and your family.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola all,

and more here:

Stay safe everyone!
Ivar
Thanks for the update Ivar. Stay safe!

Hola all,

and more here:

Stay safe everyone!
Ivar
Ivar - stay safe.

Simon

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow. I have a photo of me and my Camino family holding hands in front of the fountain in Santiago, posted on the bulletin board in front of me, can't believe the video.
However, it is wonderful that the residents of Spain are taking this seriously. As long as people do not take isolation seriously, the virus has the opportunity to spread at its own pace. When we slow down the pace of infection, not only does it give hospitals a chance to catch up and work efficiently, but gives researchers the time to develop the resources needed to combat this disease.
My Camino is planned for the Fall, I continue to cross my fingers, stay inside, and catch up on my reading. I think I'll brush up on my ukulele, too - the Spanish guitar posted on another thread has inspired me.
Thank you, Ivar, stay safe, blessings on you and your family.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.