• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Status of the Camino de Santiago as of June 10th 2020

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for this update, Ivar. It will weird wearing a mask the albergues. But not while we sleep, right? I ask because many of them are quite tight in terms of space. I'm walking from Porto on June 21.

Thanks Ivar , you are right , we are getting used to wearing masks here in Brittany too.The problem for the pilgrims will be to have the right quantity of masks in the backpack, 1 or 2 for each day for the disposable sort, or in material but the latests need to be washed ..as for the clothes..will the washing machines be available in the albergues and in the boots in towns and villages ?You cannot be sure at all to be able to purchase them once in Spain .So you have to think in advance

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Ivar , you are right , we are getting used to wearing masks here in Brittany too.The problem for the pilgrims will be to have the right quantity of masks in the backpack, 1 or 2 for each day for the disposable sort, or in material but the latests need to be washed ..as for the clothes..will the washing machines be available in the albergues and in the boots in towns and villages ?You cannot be sure at all to be able to purchase them once in Spain .So you have to think in advance
Masks are readily available here in Spain right now... so you can just get some more at the next farmacia if needed. About the washing, not sure..

I had not thought about masks in bed.. I hope not.. should not be necessary if you sleep more than 2 m from the next person.
Yes, just wondering if tired snoring pilgrims might be required to wear them. I think not, too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Masks are readily available here in Spain right now... so you can just get some more at the next farmacia if needed. About the washing, not sure..
This was a helpful comment. I hadn't thought about that. Can you buy them in packs? And how much do they cost?

Thanks for this update, Ivar. It will weird wearing a mask the albergues. But not while we sleep, right? I ask because many of them are quite tight in terms of space. I'm walking from Porto on June 21.
One can get used to sleeping with a mask. Everyone who has sleep apnea has to get used to that too.

I had not thought about masks in bed.. I hope not.. should not be necessary if you sleep more than 2 m from the next person.
Considering the question of how to deal with the aerosols, which are now known to be contagious, the 2 m might not be enough protection.

If you also consider that in many albergues the windows are closed at night, air exchange is missing and air is stuck - the risk of infection could be quite high, so wearing masks at night might be safer for everyone.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally, you might want to reconsider any Albergue for a while that can not provide airflow at night. ..? I think staying in a common room without plentiful airflow is recipe for disaster...whether wearing a mask in bed or not! Most masks provide limited benefit. Think of those deep snorers and the force with which they may release air. Just saying? 😀😀

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My own thought is that while the virus is still active, sleeping in a crowded albergue does seem like a choice I would not be willing to risk. With multiple pilgrims in close quarters, breathing into a confined space, I will regard albergues as a dangerous vector for the time being. I wish were not so.

Thank you Ivar for the update. We are still hoping we will be able to do the camino in October. We do wear masks here in Raleigh, NC. I was planning on taking some disposable ones and the ones I made.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I bought a box of 50 from amazon at 21€( took 3 weeks to arrive) and material masks locally made but with official homologation at 8€ each and washable 30 times at 60degrees

That you Ivar. It is great to have up to date information about what is happening on the Camino. I have masks for short spells of crowded streets, but would find sleeping n one very difficult as I have a phobia of things over my face (and around my neck - think I may have died badly twice already!). I'm hoping that by September/October/November things may be a little easier and we will, at least, know whether that second spike is going to arrive or not. Let's hope not!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hopefully disposable masks don't ended up littering the trail. I am finding masks on local trails at home here. Unfortunately they have a way of falling out of pockets and packs.

Totally agree. I wish that disposable masks and gloves would be banned.

I received an email that BUFF will be making masks now. I'll stick to the washable freebie that I received from our Ayuntamiento in Villares de Órbigo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the update Ivar, good to see "Live" film of Santiago from our guy on the ground. Looks like masks and sanitiser gel are going to become the norm when on the Camino.

Hopefully disposable masks don't ended up littering the trail. I am finding masks on local trails at home here. Unfortunately they have a way of falling out of pockets and packs.
That is already quite a problem in Spain right now (however the fines are high). That is one of reasons I bought washable masks. But washing them at 60 degrees on the Camino will be impossible...

...but whether the windows stay open during the night is not the responsibility of the albergue owner ;)
True. But this year as a pilgrim I would have the best argument ever to leave them open!

€83,-
That is already quite a problem in Spain right now (however the fines are high). That is one of reasons I bought washable masks. But washing them at 60 degrees on the Camino will be impossible...
I think that the UV light + heat from drying them in the sun should be enough to kill germs. Or on hot days if you put them in a black plastic bag in the sun the temperature will get very high inside.

I think that the UV light + heat from drying them in the sun should be enough to kill germs. Or on hot days if you put them in a black plastic bag in the sun the temperature will get very high inside.
I guess you are right! Anyway the virus doesn't survive forever on material, so maybe having 5 different masks and using a different one every day would do the trick as well.

You are more generous than I would be in assuming that they just happened to fall out of pockets and packs. 😉
I would have thought the same thing before my last Camino. I was thoroughly disgusted by all the trash I picked up on my way down to Molinseca. To my dismay whenI got to the first trash can to empty my pockets one of them was empty!🥺

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I guess you are right! Anyway the virus doesn't survive forever on material, so maybe having 5 different masks and using a different one every day would do the trick as well.
I think that rotating two or three masks would suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back