Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Status of the Cowboy Bar

Past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
I've always stopped for a refreshing sidra at the Cowboy Bar in El Ganso. but in several very recently made Camino-walker-videos the place looks closed. Anyone able to speak to that? I plan to pass through El Ganso in September, and would be very sorry to hear that it's gone....

1627059637806.png

When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Bunclody1

Past OR future Camino
September 2013 C Francis
June 2015 C Norte
September 2017 C Primitivo
August 2018 Via de la Plata
I've always stopped for a refreshing sidra at the Cowboy Bar in El Ganso. but in several very recently made Camino-walker-videos the place looks closed. Anyone able to speak to that? I plan to pass through El Ganso in September, and would be very sorry to hear that it's gone....

View attachment 105451
I was in this place twice and thought the owner was a little abrupt and not a very costumer friendly host, not surprised to hear it’s closed !

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
It never seemed to have much of "regular" local clientele base; just the odd pilgrim dropping in for a photo-op and spending very little money in the process.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino

View attachment 105451
When I walked by in 2019 it was closed shut. I have read from many that it is closed permanently.
But I Googled the bar and it shows it is open. There is a telephone number listed also. You can call and see for yourself the story. Many people complain about the place but I always met some really cool and interesting people and was treated really well.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I decided to pass up the Cowboy Bar on both of my Frances caminos. For some odd reason (to me) it seemed like a theme better suited for the state of Texas and I was only interested in the architecture and food of Spain. I probably made a big mistake.
That said, I also chose to never have a pizza in Spain.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
I decided to pass up the Cowboy Bar on both of my Frances caminos. For some odd reason (to me) it seemed like a theme better suited for the state of Texas and I was only interested in the architecture and food of Spain. I probably made a big mistake.
That said, I also chose to never have a pizza in Spain.
My frequent visits to Plano, back in the day, were the few occasions in my working life when my hosts decided that Hooters was a suitable venue for a business lunch.

I worked with Texans all over the world. Amongst their many admirable qualities was that they were never hard to find in a crowded bar.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
My frequent visits to Plano, back in the day, were the few occasions in my working life when my hosts decided that Hooters was a suitable venue for a business lunch.

I worked with Texans all over the world. Amongst their many admirable qualities was that they were never hard to find in a crowded bar.
That's because "everything's big in Texas".😅

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017
On May 23, 2017, curiosity brought me into the Cowboy Bar for an orange juice, banana, and bocadillo. It was around 10:00 a.m. and I was alone. The "owner" served me at the bar. I can't say he was friendly, but courteous. He thanked me when I brought my empty glass back from my table and placed it on the counter. Immediately outside and on the trail, a man had a stall of sorts and was selling all manner of trinkets. What I remember most was his tape player issuing forth the mournful wails of Cante Jondo (deep Flamenco) as I passed by. Next up: visiting the falcon whose name was Julie, and her medieval costumed handler . . .

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Past OR future Camino
On May 23, 2017, curiosity brought me into the Cowboy Bar for an orange juice, banana, and bocadillo. It was around 10:00 a.m. and I was alone. The "owner" served me at the bar. I can't say he was friendly, but courteous. He thanked me when I brought my empty glass back from my table and placed it on the counter. Immediately outside and on the trail, a man had a stall of sorts and was selling all manner of trinkets. What I remember most was his tape player issuing forth the mournful wails of Cante Jondo (deep Flamenco) as I passed by. Next up: visiting the falcon whose name was Julie, and her medieval costumed handler . . .
Here's a picture of me with the falcon named Julie. And a picture of a mosaic I did of the Cowboy Bar for my friend Lindsay from Scotland, who I met on the Camino. That's his travel guitar in the doorway. The mosaic was a gift for Lindsay, but I'm not able to actually repay him for the handcrafted ukulele he built and sent to me!

Attachments

• julie.jpg
    julie.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 38
  • cowboy bar mosaic done.jpg
    cowboy bar mosaic done.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017
Here's a picture of me with the falcon named Julie. And a picture of a mosaic I did of the Cowboy Bar for my friend Lindsay from Scotland, who I met on the Camino. That's his travel guitar in the doorway. The mosaic was a gift for Lindsay, but I'm not able to actually repay him for the handcrafted ukulele he built and sent to me!
Excellent photo of you and Julie, JillGat! And such a thoughtful gift of your artistry to your friend, Lindsay. Thank you for sharing.

Past OR future Camino
I wrote a little poem last night inspired by this post, and by some comments I'd seen elsewhere:

COWBOY BAR

The guy online confessed his sin
of never darkening the door,
because he thought it more a theme
best suited to a Texan place.

As so the Cowboy Bar was skipped,
a waypost in El Ganso, east
of Rabanal del Camino
and west of what he thought he'd find.

"Todo un cowboy," said Daniel
(but pronounced con el español);
"Muy buena gente," Carlos said.
But, "energy drinks are missing"

said Alvaro, and that comment
tells a tale more suited to a
tourist's than a pilgrim's pace--
someone whom the flechas

pierced but never wounded, armed
against the saintly cowboy's spurs.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances