• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stay at Home Camino

Terry Callery

Chi Walker
In this time of "Staying at Home" I wanted to share this film review of Phil's Camino - It is very inspiring!

Due to the treatments for his Stage 4 cancer, Phil Volker can only dream of walking the 500 mile long spiritual pilgrimage known as Spain's Camino de Santiago. But when told that he only has months to live, Volker opts to not allow circumstances to define him and does the next best thing. He builds a Camino in the forest behind his house on Vashon Island, WA so that he can walk the 500 miles without ever leaving the continent. Eventually, his health improves, and he realizes what is most important in life.

The film captures Volker's personal story as he measures his daily steps. Through the ritualistic act of walking, he learns to embrace all the facets of healing -- physical, emotional, and spiritual. Viewing his cancer as a catalyst to a life of rich moments in the tension of suffering and gratitude, his remarkable journey illustrates one of hope, acceptance, and freedom -- providing food for thought for those facing a health crisis as well as those just living life.

Upon receiving a clean scan and being granted permission to miss one chemo treatment, Volker aims to use the following 28 days to go and walk the Camino de Santiago. Along the way he realizes his true pilgrimage is the one he travels within.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is a link to the short version - which is the original, award-winning film - a 28-minute DVD, that is available for purchase. I have not been able to locate a method for purchasing the full version, called "Phil's Camino: So Far So Good."

The producer/director is one of the six people profiled in the documentary "Six Ways to Santiago". Her name is Annie O'Neil. I had the opportunity to meet her at a screening a couple of years ago. It is a wonderful movie. Annie has also written a book titled "Everyday Camino" which is a 40 days of spiritual reflections that have evolved from Phil's Camino. She has a private Lenten devotional FB group, which I am in, where people post their responses to the day's reflection.

For those who are interested, there is an interesting academic article about how Phil's camino is a contemporary expression of the Catholic practice of "virtual" pilgrimages. An example of these virtual trips is the Stations of the Cross, which are found in Catholic and many Anglican churches worldwide, that replicated the physical journey Christ took from his sentencing by Pontius Pilate to his crucifixion. The article, written by Kate Barush, who has walked the Camino Ignacio and is active in developing and documenting the revival of pilgrimage in Britain, is available on Academia.edu. I have a copy as a PDF as well so if you would like to read it and don't have access to Academia.edu, PM me and I will send you the article. It is very interesting and perhaps it and "Phil's Camino" will inspire some of us to keep walking during this time of deep uncertainty.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I will try to watch the short version of the film this evening x

Phil has a blog, which Makes good reading in these times...

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back