• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stay at Hondarrabia or Irun

jostony

Camino del Vino
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portugues 2017
Primitivo 2019
I am flying to Biarritz on 24 Aug to walk part of camino del Norte. I will start Camino in Saint-Jean-de-Luz on 25 Aug and take coastal route to Spain and cross estuary to Hondarribia. My question is it better to stay in Hondarribia and continue the Camino from there the next day or walk on and stay in Irun overnight and continue from there. Which is nicer place?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had always stayed in Irún until this last summer, when we decided to start in Hondarribia. Hondarribia is a much nicer stay. Irún is a lively enough town; there are plenty of shops and bars. There's nothing particularly noteworthy about it otherwise, though, at least that's my experience. Hondarribia is lovely--you've got a decent beach just out of the center, a fantastic plaza in the center of the hill town, with sweeping views, and still plenty of places for food/supplies. Plus, since you're coming directly into Hondarribia, going back into Irún would add some unnecessary kms to your walk.

The best arguments to be made for Irún are price (you could stay in the albergue there for much, much less than whatever your accommodation in H would charge) and pilgrim community (far, far more pilgrims start there, so it's a better place to start making social connections). Those might make the kms worthwhile, depending upon your interests.

Thanks for your prompt helpful reply. It does look like pressing on to Irun adds unnecessary Km. Also I am travelling with my wife and our Camino will be a mini holiday too, taking a few days rest in San Sebastian and with day rest at end too as we fly back on 3 Sep. Almost certainly we will mostly stay in small hotels/pensions this time and walk as far as Gernika. Interests are food and wine!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are looking for food, stay a day in Biarritz and wander the bars around the Marche and have dinner at Tantina de Burgos. Biarritz is a very, very close second to being a top foodie destination after San Sebastian. You can walk from Biarritz to St. Jean de Luz in a day and the route is along the lovely Corniche which is as spectacular as some of the top ocean side paths on the Norte in Spain.

It does look like pressing on to Irun adds unnecessary Km.
I don´t know if you´re aware of the geografic situation in the area. Normally when you leave Hendaye and cross the bridge over the river Bidasoa you will first enter Irún.
There is only one alternative in the summer (except swimming) to come to Hondarrabia directly: You go to the beech of Hendaye. A small ferry boat will tranfere you from Zokoburu across the estuary to Hondarrabia. But I´ve got no idea about its schedule. You should check before.
Hendaye.JPG
See attached map.

¡Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don´t know if you´re aware of the geografic situation in the area. Normally when you leave Hendaye and cross the bridge over the river Bidasoa you will first enter Irún.
There is only one alternative in the summer (except swimming) to come to Hondarrabia directly: You go to the beech of Hendaye. A small ferry boat will tranfere you from Zokoburu across the estuary to Hondarrabia. But I´ve got no idea about its schedule. You should check before.
View attachment 68856
See attached map.

¡Ultreia!
Thank you

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back