• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stay in Orrison Refugio or not . . . ?

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Hi everyone,
I guess this question has never been asked before!!! ;).
I start from St Jean on 4th May next year (181 days to go!), and still can't make my mind up whether to stay over in Orrison on that night or not.
I have heard the argument about taking it really easy for the first few days, so on that level it makes sense to do so. I guess one of the reasons that I'm considering pushing on, is that my flight into Biarritz doesn't get me in until around 5.30 pm on the 3rd; so by the time I've gone through baggage reclaim, got myself to Bayonne and tried to get a train to St Jean, I will probably miss the Refugio closing time - and two consecutive nights in 'non -alberges' seems a little decadent so early on in my Camino adventure
Opinions and advice please :)

Frank

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone,
I start from St Jean on 4th May next year (181 days to go!), and still can't make my mind up whether to stay over in Orrison on that night or not.
I have heard the argument about taking it really easy for the first few days, so on that level it makes sense to do so. I guess one of the reasons that I'm considering pushing on, is that my flight into Biarritz doesn't get me in until around 5.30 pm on the 3rd; so by the time I've gone through baggage reclaim, got myself to Bayonne and tried to get a train to St Jean, I will probably miss the Refugio closing time - and two consecutive nights in 'non -alberges' seems a little decadent so early on in my Camino adventure

Frank
hi it would make sense to book transport from the airport with caraline and hopefully she will be able to get other pilgrims to share and that will bring down the cost should be fairly busy in may she will get you to sjdp by 1900hrs
bein camino
joe

hi it would make sense to book transport from the airport with caraline and hopefully she will be able to get other pilgrims to share and that will bring down the cost should be fairly busy in may she will get you to sjdp by 1900hrs
bein camino
joe
Thanks for the reply; who or what is Caraline though?? Sorry, its probably someone or something that I should already know from the Forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Carolyn is the owner of the taxi service in SJPP.
Express Bouricot is the name of the service.

My opinion is that it is not decadent at all, but rather good planning and smart thinking.
More people injure themselves that first day than I can tell you.
I would try to get lodging reservations at Orisson.
If you cannot, I would spend 2 nights in SJPP.
Walk to Orisson, then walk or taxi back down to SJPP.
Next morning, taxi to Orisson (if you can't get reservations) and finish walking to Roncesvalles.

If you want reservations for May, I would begin emailing now.
I'm not sure if they're responding about accepting reservations yet, but your email would be "in line"

My suggestion is book it then donate it if you feel it was an easy stroll to that point. That is what I did along with 4 others. I live at a relatively high altitude but since I had not been there I was not sure what I would find. Even after having done that in the future I would probably do the same again as the weather changes in a heartbeat. You don't want to get caught in a storm up there in the rock shelter. The Lightning can be intense. I am talking worse case as you can read the weather up there very well. The Ocean puts some good snow & rain storms up there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Carolyn is the owner of the taxi service in SJPP.
Express Bouricot is the name of the service.

My opinion is that it is not decadent at all, but rather good planning and smart thinking.
More people injure themselves that first day than I can tell you.
I would try to get lodging reservations at Orisson.
If you cannot, I would spend 2 nights in SJPP.
Walk to Orisson, then walk or taxi back down to SJPP.
Next morning, taxi to Orisson (if you can't get reservations) and finish walking to Roncesvalles.

I'm not sure if they're responding about accepting reservations yet, but your email would be "in line"
Arnt you headed that direction soon?

Well Frank, you are bound to get different advices on this.

Before my first camino I was also considering staying in Orrison the first night, because I was not sure about my fitness level. A friend (who had walked the camino before) talked me out off this idea and I was really happy for that. I was not particularly well trained, but walking to Roncesvalles was not that hard for me & and I was glad I did not stop in Orrison. IMO the first 10 km were very steep, but after that it was okay. I think many people actually get injuries by taking the steep descent into Roncesvalles at the end of the stage.

But anyway, do whatever feels right for you. Buen Camino.

Hi everyone,
I would recommend that you go there the next day. first and foremost because it is too much for your first day to go to the next place. secondly it is a fabulous place the scenery is breathtaking and the stay is a pick me up and a way to meet people you will travel with and encounter throughout your Camino.
Frank

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have the opportunity I would say stay at Orrison. I met so many great people there that I crossed paths with throughout the journey, in Santiago and who I am still in contact with today.

Plus I was in poor shape when I arrived and probably couldn't have gone to Roncesvalles that day.

I don't intend to insult anyone here, but I think that it's important to keep in mind that the average European is much more physically active than the average person from the USA. So saying "I'm not fit" when you're from Amsterdam and walk 10 km a day as part of your normal life is very different than saying "I'm not fit" when you're from east central Illinois and drive your car everywhere. So much of the disagreement about whether the first day to Roncesvalles from SJPP is a "killer" has to do with your base level of activity. What is "active" in one culture is very different from another. So these perennial discussions about the difficulty of SJPP to Roncesvalles ought to keep those big cultural differences in mind. I think that if you are physically active in your normal life, the first day won't be a killer, it will tire you out but you will be fine. If you are coming from my car-dependent, "don't walk more than 1/4 mile and take an elevator all the time" world, you will have a tough time unless you've trained a lot.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't intend to insult anyone here, but I think that it's important to keep in mind that the average European is much more physically active than the average person from the USA. So saying "I'm not fit" when you're from Amsterdam and walk 10 km a day as part of your normal life is very different than saying "I'm not fit" when you're from east central Illinois and drive your car everywhere. So much of the disagreement about whether the first day to Roncesvalles from SJPP is a "killer" has to do with your base level of activity. What is "active" in one culture is very different from another. So these perennial discussions about the difficulty of SJPP to Roncesvalles ought to keep those big cultural differences in mind. I think that if you are physically active in your normal life, the first day won't be a killer, it will tire you out but you will be fine. If you are coming from my car-dependent, "don't walk more than 1/4 mile and take an elevator all the time" world, you will have a tough time unless you've trained a lot.
Very good point. I also found folks who lived at sea level had a harder time as well, unless they were runners. I use to think I could walk fast until the morning Spanish walkers out early would leave me in the dust. Good thing I had 400 miles to train then the challenge was on! :)

I've stayed at Orisson. To get there you climb 800m over 8km - but it's not all uphill if that makes sense! The road undulates with some flat and even downhill stretches. However some of the steep bits are pretty steep!

Refuge Orisson is 8km into the first stage. It does come almost too soon; you arrive there late morning , and as it's your first day you are full of enthusiasm and anticipation, you still have energy, and you feel you want to go on. You seriously consider donating your place as suggested above.

But you stop for a coffee or a beer, and start chatting with people and find some are going on and some are staying. Check in starts around 12.30, you sit on the fabulous terrace with the panoramic views, have some lunch, sit and chat more, drink more beer/wine, and all the time more people are arriving and a party atmosphere starts. Dinner is served at 7pm, everyone sits at 3 long tables in the room, and then each person in turn stands up and says who they are, where from, why they are walking (if they want to say), and there is so much positive energy and great feeling in that room. That is why most people stay there - for that amazing ambience.

Then after sleep, you are up in time for breakfast and a sunrise start, and a slightly easier 16km walk over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles, in the company of some wonderful people with whom you have shared a special experience.

So I suggest you stay at Orisson!

Your Ryanair flight from Stansted should land at 17:05 - the following thread has advice on how best to get the train for SJPP that evening - my opinion is that a taxi to the train station should do the trick
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ritz-to-st-jean-pied-de-port.890/#post-351425

You will improve your chances of getting the train, and indeed on the Camino, if you get your pack weight down so that it can be carried as hand baggage

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I fully agree with Julia-t. Spending your first night at Orrisson is a " must do ". It's not an extremely hard walk to get there from SJPDP but it is by no means trivial either. The distance is short but the road is steep in several places. The clincher though is the social one Julia mentions. That is worth a lot. On the walk up to Orrisson people walk quietly on their own or with their partners, but the next day most people are much more animated and cheerfully chat to people who, yesterday, were strangers but today are already friends who you will keep in touch with for the rest of your Camino, and maybe for the rest of your life. Additionally it provides a gentle start to what will be a strenuous few days as you develop your "walking style".

Go for the stopover, you won't regret it, but book early as it is a very popular place.

Second @julia-t
Her post says it all and describes our experience. Plus we had an issue with a companion who got into great difficulties that first day. Stopping at Orisson saved her Camino.

and @TonyC confirms it. That second day we walked with our compañeros, strangers just one day before. We would be with them, off and on, all the Way into Santiago. I found it a gentle and social way to ease into the Camino, sort out our packs and the packing/unpacking process.

Also as @MTtoCamino says, you can always donate you bed if you decide that you'd prefer to walk on.

Hi, I would highly recommend staying at Orisson regardless of fitness level. We've stayed there twice and both times had a great Camino experience. I guarantee you will meet other pilgrims that you will stay connected with for your entire Camino and afterwards. Even on our 2nd time there we had a great experience. Jean Jacques is a very nice proprietor and the food and atmosphere is great. Our first time there was on April 26, 2009 and we woke up in a blizzard. Jean Jacques led all of us over the mountain in the storm or I don't think we would have made it. Any kind of weather can appear early in May and he will look after you. BUT, if you don't stay there and go on to Roncesvalles your Camino will still be a fabulous experience. Dayton and Karen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well said and agree completely. Also the idea of what someone said about having a reservation and giving it up for someone else if you don't feel the need to stay seems reasonable as well. Personally, I never considered staying there as it just seemed to short of a walk, but as many have noted on here it does have a lot to do with your daily physical activity, etc. Also, for me I live at a higher elevation than any point on the Camino and thus the altitude was never an issue for me. However, to be clear I had issues on other days along the way, often times when going down hill and someone mentioned that on this thread as well. There is an easier approach down, which we missed, but good sense and a little traversing back and forth will get you down just as well. Buen Camino and know that whatever you do will be perfect for you and only you can know what that experience should be!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi everyone,

Frank
I would take something to cook and make reservations for Cayola. It is very close to Orrison and a better place in my opinion. You just have to bring something to cook for dinner.

Hi, I would highly recommend staying at Orisson regardless of fitness level. We've stayed there twice and both times had a great Camino experience. I guarantee you will meet other pilgrims that you will stay connected with for your entire Camino and afterwards. Even on our 2nd time there we had a great experience. Jean Jacques is a very nice proprietor and the food and atmosphere is great. Our first time there was on April 26, 2009 and we woke up in a blizzard. Jean Jacques led all of us over the mountain in the storm or I don't think we would have made it. Any kind of weather can appear early in May and he will look after you. BUT, if you don't stay there and go on to Roncesvalles your Camino will still be a fabulous experience. Dayton and Karen

I agree with that perspective as well -- even if it's not a killer stage for you, consider whether you have the time and the cash to spend an afternoon lolling around with fantastic views in all directions and a chance to meet many people who will be a part of your life for the next weeks. There's a different vibe there than at the much larger Roncescalles albergue. I highly recommend it too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We love stopping in Orrison for coffee. We think that the first 5k out of SJPP isn't too bad. The next 5k a good climb, but with a stop for coffee the last 2k isn't much.
We have had great weather both times we walked. The first time August 2014 we stayed at Huntto (planned) as we had long travel (USA to Barcelona to Pamplona and then SJPP). In September we crossed again, but had also walked from Le Puy. I did arrive in SJPP with a very very bad cold so we got a private room so I could rest for the night. We are Americans and in good physical health..not sure about our mental state.
We have met others who say they loved staying there and so glad they did. I think it is a personal choice. We have had wonderful caminos and have only stopped there for coffee.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Frank
I think your travel plans make two non albuergue nights all the more logical. Get rested up before you start the marathon. It allows you time to linger in SJPDP and take in the city, leave after noon, get to Orrison, enjoy the wonderful Basque food, and get another good night's rest. Then start "roughing" it

If you arrive in Biarritz at 5.30 pm, it is impossible to sleep in Orisson....the same night. you'd rather stay in Saint Jean and enjoy the city, stroll around, take the time....this is not a marathon..:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you arrive in Biarritz at 5.30 pm, it is impossible to sleep in Orisson....the same night. you'd rather stay in Saint Jean and enjoy the city, stroll around, take the time....this is not a marathon..:)

I think you have misread the original post - his flight arrives on the evening of May 3rd and he was asking whether he should stay in Orisson on the night of May 4th - his concern was that, if he missed the train to SJPP on May 3rd, he would be too late to stay in the albergue that evening - that's why I concentrated on showing how he could get to SJPP and hence the albergue the same evening his flight arrives - given that information, he can then decide if he should book for Orisson on the next evening

Something I do not understand, everybody talking about Orisson. Why Orisson and Orisson and Orisson?
There is a second way, to Arneguy and Valcarlos/ Luzaide. For me, this route is more acceptable for beginners and I'll use it to my first Camino in May 2016.

Something I do not understand, everybody talking about Orisson. Why Orisson and Orisson and Orisson?
There is a second way, to Arneguy and Valcarlos/ Luzaide. For me, this route is more acceptable for beginners and I'll use it to my first Camino in May 2016.
Because we watched a goofy movie. Humans are not unlike a heard of sheep. The lead sheep the rest simply follow. MBAaaaaaaa

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi thanks for the reply, but I think you misread my post. I was never considering trying to make it to Orrison on the first night. I was asking advice as to whether it was justifiable spending my first two nights in non-alberge accommodation so early into my Camino - I thought I would miss the alberge check in time in St Jean on the 3rd and end up in a private hostel/hotel, and this was causing me to question my original plan to stay at Orrison the following night.
Regards, Frank

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi and thanks everyone for your valued input. I'm fairly fit and walk pretty regularly so think I would be alright going through to Roncesvalles, but on balance I think the reasons for staying at Orrison outweigh the reasons for not. From what I've heard, one of the beautiful things of walking the Camino is to meet up with people from all over the world; all with different backgrounds and all with their own stories to tell. Where better to start to make my new Camino Amigos than on the first day!
With that in mind, I have decided to try and book Orrison for the night of the 3rd May. I have a 35 day opportunity to complete my Camino from Sr Jean to Santiago. Hopefully the stay in Orrison will still make this possible.
One of the reasons that I am doing the Camino is to celebrate the fact that I survived a triple heart bypass 3 years ago. If you're interested in my back story go to

www.justgiving.com/Frank-Worthington

Now. . . . . back to my Spanish practice . . . . ¡Tengo qué hacerlo a hora!

Hi thanks for the reply, but I think you misread my post. I was never considering trying to make it to Orrison on the first night. I was asking advice as to whether it was justifiable spending my first two nights in non-alberge accommodation so early into my Camino - I thought I would miss the alberge check in time in St Jean on the 3rd and end up in a private hostel/hotel, and this was causing me to question my original plan to stay at Orrison the following night.
Regards, Frank
Yes sorry, I read it too quickly....a stopover in Orrisson is a good idea for a warm up walk. 2 hours walk from St Jean....and beautiful views over the basque mountain. :)

Because we watched a goofy movie. Humans are not unlike a heard of sheep. The lead sheep the rest simply follow. MBAaaaaaaa
Sheep know how to read trail markings or guidebooks? I don't get it. I never heard of the Valcarlos route until long after I finished my Camino. That said, based on my experience going over through Orisson and what I have learned / heard about the Valcarlos route, I'd stay at Orisson again if I walk the Frances a second time. The social aspect of staying there - something many forum members have already expressed so much better than I could - is the reason for me.

Sheep know how to read trail markings or guidebooks? I don't get it. I never heard of the Valcarlos route until long after I finished my Camino. That said, based on my experience going over through Orisson and what I have learned / heard about the Valcarlos route, I'd stay at Orisson again if I walk the Frances a second time. The social aspect of staying there - something many forum members have already expressed so much better than I could - is the reason for me.
Hi MichaelSG:)
how can you compare two places if on one you're not been?

Regards, Frank
Hi Frank66 :)
my first day I want to start peaceful without any pressure. Also, want to go after much sleep night :), without snoring and rumors in early morning.
So, in SJPP I will sleep here: http://gitecompostella.jimdo.com
It looks decent, location is good and not to much expensive. After dinner, a peaceful night and good breakfast I hope that start of Camino be good.
The way ahead, in God's hands :)

Hi MichaelSG:)
how can you compare two places if on one you're not been?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I should have said was "based on my experience going over through Orisson and what I have learned from the forum/ heard from the very, very few pilgrims I spoke to who walked the Valcarlos route about the Valcarlos route, I'd stay at Orisson again if I walk the Frances a second time. "

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I did my very first Camino in May/June. Not sure what to expect, as I am not fit, I pre-booked a night in SJPdP and at Orisson. We set off on May 1st from SJPdP and were hit by a tremendous gale on the mountain side that lifted you off your feet, followed by rain that slapped you in the face. I have never felt so exhausted and fearful. I can not begin to describe the relief as we turned the corner and saw Orisson refuge before us just as the clouds cleared. I would not have had the energy to walk to Roncesvalles. The meal at Orisson was wonderful. Early next morning we awoke to a beautiful sunrise with spectacular views of the mountain valley. I took my best photos that day. A lovely way to start the walk to Roncesvalles, which although windy was nothing compared to our first day! Buen Camino

If you arrive at the Albergue at 10am...its too early. That was my experience. Have a drink, a bite to eat and move on

Does anyone know if it's still the case that the tents out back are not reserved in advance? If that's the case, then anyone who arrives early will have the luxury of deciding whether to stop or continue on. The risk of finding no room at the inn increases, no doubt, as it gets later in the day.

I've stayed at Orisson. To get there you climb 800m over 8km - but it's not all uphill if that makes sense! The road undulates with some flat and even downhill stretches. However some of the steep bits are pretty steep!

Refuge Orisson is 8km into the first stage. It does come almost too soon; you arrive there late morning , and as it's your first day you are full of enthusiasm and anticipation, you still have energy, and you feel you want to go on. You seriously consider donating your place as suggested above.

But you stop for a coffee or a beer, and start chatting with people and find some are going on and some are staying. Check in starts around 12.30, you sit on the fabulous terrace with the panoramic views, have some lunch, sit and chat more, drink more beer/wine, and all the time more people are arriving and a party atmosphere starts. Dinner is served at 7pm, everyone sits at 3 long tables in the room, and then each person in turn stands up and says who they are, where from, why they are walking (if they want to say), and there is so much positive energy and great feeling in that room. That is why most people stay there - for that amazing ambience.

Then after sleep, you are up in time for breakfast and a sunrise start, and a slightly easier 16km walk over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles, in the company of some wonderful people with whom you have shared a special experience.

So I suggest you stay at Orisson!
This sounds like a great start to a camino. Making it to Roncesvalles in one day gives you a great feeling of accomplishment, but my knee certainly doesn't remember it that way. Next time, maybe I'll start later from SJPP and staying in Orisson won't feel premature.

My suggestion is book it then donate it if you feel it was an easy stroll to that point. That is what I did along with 4 others. I live at a relatively high altitude but since I had not been there I was not sure what I would find. Even after having done that in the future I would probably do the same again as the weather changes in a heartbeat. You don't want to get caught in a storm up there in the rock shelter. The Lightning can be intense. I am talking worse case as you can read the weather up there very well. The Ocean puts some good snow & rain storms up there.
The weather does indeed change in a heartbeat! We left SJPP in sunshine and quite suddenly fierce winds began as we approached Orisson, then horizontally strong rain pelted us. I was blown to the ground, luckily unhurt (as the next morning another peregrina broke her shoulder when she was blown to the ground). A reservation for Refuge Orisson protects you and as has been suggested you may choose to donate it and press on. I also agree with the camaraderie that one can experience that first day/overnight in Orisson. It helped set the tone for our entire Camino.

€46,-
We're planning to stay overnight in Orisson during our upcoming Camino in May, to ease into our journey both mentally and physically. Our problem thus far, though, is getting reservations. We emailed the refuge several weeks back with no response and a phone call resulted in a recorded message indicating that they are now closed. Perhaps they are on vacation at this point after a busy season. Patience is a hard thing. :)

I don't think they will be taking reservations for next year until January at the earliest. They will be closed until March. From what I have heard emails are checked regularly, and they will get back to you. But for now it is probably way too early to make a reservation 6 months ahead.

I too have wondered about staying in Orrison when David and I start our first Camino in July 2016 and after reading Julia-T's description of how the day can unfold I am thinking it is a great idea. I have been in touch with Orrison a week or so ago but have not heard anything as yet and after reading the comments here it is good to know they don't get in contact straight away.
I didn't actually email them direct, I used the contact form on their web page, does it work the same as emailing direct?

Hi everyone,

Frank
Hi Frank, yes do stay in Orrison; the walk from SJDP is very steep, it is a great place. You must book, and do confirm as sometimes people just book and not turn up. From airport do get the 'taxi' to SJJP, about 20e and she knows all the allergies there, or if you are not staying over she will take you straight to Camino office. The 2nd day is a 20klm walk over the mountains to Ronsenvales. I did this April 2014, so glad stayed and enjoyed the beginning at Orison. Enjoy your Camino. Phill

You need to reserve this far ahead?! We were planning to book it the day before. I guess that's out of the question?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I write this post while sitting on my couch recovering from knee surgery. I stopped at Orisson because of the pain in my knee and knowing I cannot make it over the mountain. I injured my knee before my trip but wanted to try it anyway. I barely made it but made it a good decision.

Another contributing factor was flying in from the USA and starting the very next day. Consideration should be given to rest. Or a shorter day as part of that rest.

The people I met at Orisson made a big difference for my next two weeks on the Camino in made the decision the best I could have made.

It is more of a matter of balance and what is right for you.

... and still can't make my mind up whether to stay over in Orrison on that night or not.
... - and two consecutive nights in 'non -alberges' seems a little decadent so early on in my Camino adventure

Frank

What makes you think Orrison is a non-albergue? Just because it is privately owned and offers dinner and breakfast? I would stay there, you will be well rested for the next day (the descend into Roncesvalles is steep and can be treacherous depending on the route you choose) and also you will meet your fellow pilgrims around the table in the evening at the first shared meals of hopefully many.

Buen Camino! SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I too have wondered about staying in Orrison when David and I start our first Camino in July 2016 and after reading Julia-T's description of how the day can unfold I am thinking it is a great idea. I have been in touch with Orrison a week or so ago but have not heard anything as yet and after reading the comments here it is good to know they don't get in contact straight away.
I didn't actually email them direct, I used the contact form on their web page, does it work the same as emailing direct?
Hi,
I contacted them a couple of weeks ago through the link on their webpage and got a reply the next day, which basically said that they would be taking bookings for next May from Nov 16th - hope this helps.
Regards and Buen Camino, Frank

Hi @Frank66 thank you for the information, I still haven't heard from them but will contact them again, we aren't beginning our Camino until July next year (not that I am counting or anything :p )
Buen Camino

My original plan was to stay at Orrison, leaving SJPdP late morning. It did take some persistence by phone and email to confirm a reservation. I thought I could then get into Roncesvalles early the next day with time to explore, etc. Best laid plans... I arrived at SJPdP to find a big snow storm approaching, talk of closing the high route, etc...so I stopped only long enough for coffee at Orison (and to pay for my bed and apologize for not staying) before trudging out into the snow. I was cold, wet, and tired when I got to Roncesvalles too late to do much exploring. I'd stop if weather permits....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will be just turning 57 by the time I start my first camino (and I'm not terribly fit or unfit, just fine for loaded 15-18km walks in hills without too much trouble at the moment). With two and a bit months to go I'm still pondering whether or not to stop ar Orisson. I will start from Lourdes, so by the time I get to Orisson I will have a week's walking under by belt... (and I have been training for a month and a half already with the intention to increase it in the remaining time). Do you think that would be sufficient hardening to make an Orisson stop redundant?

I will be just turning 57 by the time I start my first camino (and I'm not terribly fit or unfit, just fine for loaded 15-18km walks in hills without too much trouble at the moment). With two and a bit months to go I'm still pondering whether or not to stop ar Orisson. I will start from Lourdes, so by the time I get to Orisson I will have a week's walking under by belt... (and I have been training for a month and a half already with the intention to increase it in the remaining time). Do you think that would be sufficient hardening to make an Orisson stop redundant?

Greetings,

It all depends on the day of your approach, how long it's going to be, or if you're starting from SJPDP on that day. The training is good, but is it every day? If yes, you'll be fine and the choice is yours. From my experience, the walk from Lourdes is wonderful but hard work too. A lot of up and down with some hairy moments (in April, admittedly). If you're starting the day from SJPDP I suggest you don't reserve Orisson and see how it goes.

Buen camino.

Hi Frank and all,
Phil and I allowed 55 total days for our trip. Spent one night in Paris at the airport hotel. Flew the next morning to Biarritz and Caroline's service picked us up. Spent the night in SJPDP and then walked to Orrison the next morning. We got our reservations early (several months ahead). Both the walk to Orrison and on to Roncevalles were challenging to us physically. If you do the Napoleon route I would encourage you to stay at Orrison.
Next time we will go to Valcarlos. We are still on the Camino now. No camping was allowed at Orrison. A family without a reservation was advised to go up 4 km past Orrison to where the wild horses are to camp.

Hi Frank and all,
Phil and I allowed 55 total days for our trip. Spent one night in Paris at the airport hotel. Flew the next morning to Biarritz and Caroline's service picked us up. Spent the night in SJPDP and then walked to Orrison the next morning. We got our reservations early (several months ahead). Both the walk to Orrison and on to Roncevalles were challenging to us physically. If you do the Napoleon route I would encourage you to stay at Orrison.
Next time we will go to Valcarlos. We are still on the Camino now. No camping was allowed at Orrison. A family without a reservation was advised to go up 4 km past Orrison to where the wild horses are to camp.
I am starting my Camino in April. I have made several attempts to contact Orrison to reserve a room. How long did you have to wait for a reply? Or do you think it is unnecessary to make a reservation in early / mid April?

I am starting my Camino in April. I have made several attempts to contact Orrison to reserve a room. How long did you have to wait for a reply? Or do you think it is unnecessary to make a reservation in early / mid April?

Hello, I contacted Orisson in January about a reservation for mid-May through the message-box on their website and did not hear back from them for several weeks. Then I made a second attempt sending them an e-mail to the address that is to the right of said message-box (refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr) and had a (positive!) answer about three days later.
Good luck to you and buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
aj8,
I expect Orrison will be quite busy in April, so I would not plan on staying there without a reservation.

I have also been trying to contact regarding reservation 26 April. To date no reply. Guess my first day will be a long one : )

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have also been trying to contact regarding reservation 26 April. To date no reply. Guess my first day will be a long one : )
Try the email above. I did and got a reply and reservation for the day I needed. Paid with paypal

Try the email above. I did and got a reply and reservation for the day I needed. Paid with paypal
Thank you... they are booked the night I would have been there... on to Roncesvalles : )

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back