• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stay inland or take the spiritual varient

jay feick

Time of past OR future Camino
No caminos. Hiked Jesus Trail in Israel in 2013.
Camino Portuguese & Inglese 5/18
Will be hiking from Porto on May 1st and would really appreciate hearing the pro's and con's of taking or not taking the spiritual varient in early May. Thanks much. Jay

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Variante hands down. You will finally see some beautiful villages and landscapes, which the days past Pontevedra are not known for.

Stop by the Poio monastery, have an early luch in Combarro, an old, picturesque fishing village with summer rental prices only the 1% can afford. Climb up the hill and end your day in Armenteira, with a delicious early dinner in a very well known restaurant, Bar A Fonte (as for orujo and they will being you a bottle of each of their three home made flavours right out of the freezer) and vespers afterwards. (there was a wedding we crazhed when I was.

While at the albergue, call the captains to find out what time they are sailing the next day. This will tell you if you have to rush down the hill or if you can take it easy. If they sail early, you'll jist have a lovely evening in Arousa. Phone numbers are on the wall.

Next day you get to enjoy the world of the hobbits, walking downhill following a beautiful small river and its falls and mill ruins. At the bottom a the hill have a snack at Os Castanos and walk through vineyards and posh homes (illegal cigarette trade a few years ago, I'm told) and arrive in Arousa.

This paet of the Central really is its redeaming quality, other than Pontevedra and Tui, and to a lesser extent Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. Do not miss it.

Variante hands down. You will finally see some beautiful villages and landscapes, which the days past Pontevedra are not known for.

Stop by the Poio monastery, have an early luch in Combarro, an old, picturesque fishing village with summer rental prices only the 1% can afford. Climb up the hill and end your day in Armenteira, with a delicious early dinner in a very well known restaurant, Bar A Fonte (as for orujo and they will being you a bottle of each of their three home made flavours right out of the freezer) and vespers afterwards. (there was a wedding we crazhed when I was.

While at the albergue, call the captains to find out what time they are sailing the next day. This will tell you if you have to rush down the hill or if you can take it easy. If they sail early, you'll jist have a lovely evening in Arousa. Phone numbers are on the wall.

Next day you get to enjoy the world of the hobbits, walking downhill following a beautiful small river and its falls and mill ruins. At the bottom a the hill have a snack at Os Castanos and walk through vineyards and posh homes (illegal cigarette trade a few years ago, I'm told) and arrive in Arousa.

This paet of the Central really is its redeaming quality, other than Pontevedra and Tui, and to a lesser extent Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. Do not miss it.
Thanks Much. Perhaps you can help with another question. When we finish our Route from Porto to Santiago we will have time for another hike for 6-8 days. I've look at Camino Inglese, Finisterra & Muzie but I'm leaning toward Monforte to Santiago (last leg on Camino Inverno) - do you have a preferanxce and why? Thanks so much. Jay

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Much. Perhaps you can help with another question. When we finish our Route from Porto to Santiago we will have time for another hike for 6-8 days. I've look at Camino Inglese, Finisterra & Muzie but I'm leaning toward Monforte to Santiago (last leg on Camino Inverno) - do you have a preferanxce and why? Thanks so much. Jay
Have not walked any of them, but the Ingles is much more common.

I am doing the Camino Portugues from Porto in a couple of weeks (Sept 19, 2017 to be exact). I just found out about the Variante Route. Where does it go from? Are there maps available online? I have John Brierley's book but it does not indicate much on the variante. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you.

I am doing the Camino Portugues from Porto in a couple of weeks (Sept 19, 2017 to be exact). I just found out about the Variante Route. Where does it go from? Are there maps available online? I have John Brierley's book but it does not indicate much on the variante. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you.
The route is plainly visible about 2k out of Pontevedre. You wont need a map. Very well way marked. It's lovely.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back