Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying an extra day in Pola de Allande

GarySFBCN

Time of past OR future Camino
Past - Portuguese Way - coastal (2017)
Future Camino Primitivo (May/June 2019)
Hello!

My group will be walking the Camino Primitivo. We decided to take a break along the way so we will be staying 2 nights in Pola de Allande during the last week in May. My question is - are there things to do in Pola de Allande? I've done some searching and it seems like there isn't much to do there.

Thanks, Gary

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know of nothing in Pola, but down the road is the historic Castro del Chao de San Martin, a prehistoric Celtic site with a museum that I found to be fascinating. You'd have to take a taxi there or ask about a local bus. This site is right along the Camino, farther on. We rushed to see it on our day six, but it would have been more enjoyable of we'd had more time. In your bus/taxi ride you may see a preview of the Camino ahead!

I would also recommend Lugo as a rest day if you have more time. It is a UNESCO site for its medieval walls. We reached Lugo on our ninth day and spent two nights there. You can walk around the walls for another 2 km if you haven't had enough walking! But make it a stroll, as the views from the lofty heights, especially of the cathedral are wonderful and require frequent stops for grazing!

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

I know of nothing in Pola, but down the road is the historic Castro del Chao de San Martin, a prehistoric Celtic site with a museum that I found to be fascinating. You'd have to take a taxi there or ask about a local bus. This site is right along the Camino, farther on. We rushed to see it on our day six, but it would have been more enjoyable of we'd had more time. In your bus/taxi ride you may see a preview of the Camino ahead!

I would also recommend Lugo as a rest day if you have more time. It is a UNESCO site for its medieval walls. We reached Lugo on our ninth day and spent two nights there. You can walk around the walls for another 2 km if you haven't had enough walking! But make it a stroll, as the views from the lofty heights, especially of the cathedral are wonderful and require frequent stops for grazing!

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Thank you Elle for the information! We do have an extra day planned in Lugo as well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you Elle for the information! We do have an extra day planned in Lugo as well.
It would be better to walk as far as Grandas de Salime and take your break there. Museum in Grandas itself and you are only 6kms from the Castro museum. An easy taxi ride, no bus service after Grandas and only 1 late afternoon Pola to Grandas.

I took a day off in Pola. Probably would not do it again to be honest. I met a local guy and we got drunk in a bar all afternoon, there was not much else to do. (Very glad I met him though, he was worth meeting - lovely interesting man). As said above, Grandas and Lugo are better.

Davey

Here are more links
1) Castro museum and the Castro
2) Grandas museum and comments

Lugo has several museums, the regional museum and also the house of Roman mosaics among others. The walls are amazing and worth walking right round along the top. The Cathedral is lovely and a sello is available from the offices, when open, up the steps opposite the west door.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back