• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying an Extra Day in which towns

Dchell

Time of past OR future Camino
We have planned about 30 days from Irun via Primitivo to Santiago. We have about 6 days buffer. We would like to choose towns/cities that are quaint and not to be missed. We heard San Sebastian is a must see, but we could skip Bilbao (except for the museum).

Would love your opinions.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would not skip Bilbao, it has a lot to offer. I would consider Santillana and visit the caves and the Colegiata. Comillas as well has interesting architecture: Gaudi buildings and the university. Guernika will keep you busy for a 3-4 hours. I would also take the time to visit the fortress and church behind the albergue in San Vicente.

On the Primitivo there's the Naranco sites around Oviedo, and the cathedral of course. Lugo is another major center with Roman history. In Castro visit the ruins at the end of the day (1 hour), another hour spent with the guides who explain the small church on the way out of Melide.

Other than san Sebastian, Santander, Bilbao, Oviedo and Lugo, the rest are small towns that you can enjoy if you arrive early afternoon. And even the large ones, other than Bilbao, you'll be ok with a long afternoon. The Naranco sites you can visit as you start the Primitivo on your way to Esclampero.

I am not a fan of taking a full day off, but prefer many short days with a full afternoon/evening to take in the sites.

For Santiallana, it may be wise to book your tickets ahead.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
San Sebastian ****
Bilbao****
Gijon-Aviles [ the old port area]**
Ribadeo**
Miraz;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are probably right about skipping Bilbao - apart from the casco viejo and the Catedral de Santiago the only places worth visiting are the Plaza Nuevo for one of the finest self-contained txiquiteo in the whole of northern Spain. Of course the Museo Arqueologico, Ethnographico e Historico Vasco is interesting if you like that sort of thing and the Museo de Bellas Artes with its collections of works by El Greco, Zubaran, Goya, Gaugin and Bacon may be worth an afternoon. The Guggenheim is really all about the building so you can skip the collections apart from the Picasso's; Miro's & maybe the Kandinsky. ;);)

Sorry @Dchell , you only have 6 days don't you. It's probably obvious I'm a bit of a Bilbao fan but Santallina is definitely 'quaint'; Llanes is one of my favourite little port / resorts on that whole coast: and Boo / Bo / Po / Poo should not be missed if only for the photo-opportunity.

Enjoy what you can, when you can and never fear that you might have 'missed' something. You will see, hear, taste, smell and experience so much on that wonderful way that you will not have 'missed' any diversion. Though the Cueva Tito Bustillo will be worth the diversion for some ;)

Buen Camino!

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 5
Santillana - old village and Altamira; buy your tickets ahead for the cave museum, as @Anemone del Camino says, they are timed slots. You can do this at the bank of Santander, on the front in Santander, so long as you know when you will reach Santillana.

Oviedo - for the city and the Naranco site.

Grandas de Salime - museum and then short day to Castro for museum and the castro. (Book the Castro albergue or check its availability as 'jovenes' groups have priority.

Lugo - walls and museums and cathedral.

Plus where ever takes your interest.

Just to add one very short detour to a beautiful spot, the village of Cudillero. Almost totally hidden in a cove. A little touristy, but great places to eat and to stay if you want a splurge. It's about 1 km off route from Pito (I think that's the name of the spot)/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just to add one very short detour to a beautiful spot, the village of Cudillero. Almost totally hidden in a cove. A little touristy, but great places to eat and to stay if you want a splurge. It's about 1 km off route from Pito (I think that's the name of the spot)/
Where is Pito, Laurie?

Isn't Cudillero on the Norte after Gijon? I thought we drove past there last year.
After the Primitivo split.
Edit:- I see you have posted that it is, while I was typing my post.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re Lugo. We stayed there two different times. A lot to see and do, but on Sunday almost totally closed down, with the exception that there might be a procession or wedding at the church.

San Sebastian ****
Bilbao****
Gijon-Aviles [ the old port area]**
Ribadeo**
Miraz;)

Missed the Primitivo turn off Anemone , long walk back.
May i suggest Oviedo for a few days , especially if the rain arrives and then Lugo , both worth extra time.

Last edited:
Because the OP is turning inland to walk the primitivo I thought it was a place I might have missed, but it's on the Norte, after the turn off, isn't it?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Because the OP is turning inland to walk the primitivo I thought it was a place I might have missed, but it's on the Norte, after the turn off, isn't it?

Yes, it is just about 2 km off camino (as beautiful coastal spots so frequently are, like what I remember about Cobreces). It is a touristy town, but it is very beautiful. And you can see how the entire town would have been totally hidden from marauders because the original core is hidden from view from the ocean.

Yes, it is just about 2 km off camino (as beautiful coastal spots so frequently are, like what I remember about Cobreces). It is a touristy town, but it is very beautiful. And you can see how the entire town would have been totally hidden from marauders because the original core is hidden from view from the ocean.
But if one turns in to go to Oviedo, you won't just be 2km away but further, no?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We rested in San Sebastián, Bilbao, Santander, Llanes, Oviedo, and Lugo this past April/May.

Going next year again and will likely rest Getaria, Bilbao, santillana del Mar, Llanes, Ribadesella, Salas, Palais del Rey.

Much depends on how you feel when you get there. We loved San Sebastián and Bilbao but I was a bit miserable in Santander and Oviedo ( not cities faults).

We think we will shorten up some days so we can arrive in time to explore a town and have fewer rest days. Would like better look at some towns we walked through last time like Deba, Castro Urdiales, Laredo etc etc. In fact my best advice is shorter days and fewer rest days. Next time we will probably walk 26 or 27 days and rest 3 or 4

Deba, Castro Urdiales, Laredo and LLanes
Great villages to spend a good day in , arrive very early.
Did you use the elevator into Deba?
Great idea with short days and no rest days.
You should now know which days are on the hoof.
Enjoy the return and please enjoy this place in Oviedo for lunch ,
**Restaurant La Corte de Pelayo ,
Call in earlier and book , the dining room is upstairs , white table cloths , waiter service , premium wine included , cost 13e and respect shown to pilgrims.......no room for backpack.....leave where accommodation is.
This is the best set menu we have had in all our walks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back