• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying at bombeiros

Leigh Macklin

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances {2016}, Portugese {2017}, CdN {2019},
Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect if I need to do this? Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Leigh - I stand to be corrected but I think given the sheer volume of numbers nowadays on the Camino Portugués this is a thing of the past when there were far fewer Albergues. The Bombeiros provide a volunteer fire service and previously they allowed pilgrims to sleep in vacant dormitory accommodation or on the floor - however I haven't heard of anyone doing this for a very long time. Pilgrim accommodation on this route has really developed in recent years - and continues to expand.

Regards

John

Just some notes:
- Not all accept pilgrims
- Not all have beds, just a place on the floor and bathroom
- Reach them, by phone, beforehand. Depending on the firehouse, they'll need to check with the commander. Some of them have been robbed by false pilgrims and they need to be extra careful
- Some ask for money/donativo; others let you stay for free

It will really depend on the firehouse you want to stay in.

This website has information regarding that: http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/

As the website says: be ready to take a no for an answer

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The http://www.vialusitana.org website states that you need to carry a sleeping pad and bag and that it is a very simple form of accommodation. Also depends on if they have time/space to accommodate you - fire fighting and rescue is their first duty. Buen Camino, SY

Ha ha we stayed at the Bombeiros Volontarios inTomar one night.
We slept in a big hall with a stage.
On the floor where about ten matrasses. We used our silk liners and our fleece vests.
To stay awake the operational firemen played games and football during the night but we had a fairly good sleep anyway.
There were showers and toilets. Not a five star accommodation.:)
The commander did not accept any money but we left something as a tip.
Opposite was a coffebar for a breakfast.
It was a once in a lifetime experience but later on we chose for hostals and hotels.

Another nice experience was the schoolcampus in Cernache nearby Coimbra.
There is a house on the campus with bunkbeds ,hot showers, toilets.
We phoned in advance and we could come and were the only pilgrims.
The concierge waited for us but only spoke Portuguese. No problem..as practising english the pupils translated everything. :)
We had to stay in before 21h00 and leave before 8h00 . Opposite was a restaurant for diner and breakfast.
They did not want to accept money and had a nice stamp for the credential.
They only provide beds during weekdays.
Since there is an albergue in Cernache I think there is no need anymore for this accomodation.

Leigh,
Back in 2014, I stayed in a couple. In Coimbra and one place just outside Lisbon. They were very kind, i had a room by myself in the one in Coimbra, in the other one, I was near the firemen's beds. Overall, very nice folks. I have to show my credential and my passport. I tried to give them a donativo, but they would not take it.

Great people, enjoy the Camino Portuguese.

Buen Camino,

Texas guy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back