• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Staying Connected In Difficult Times

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juspassinthru

in our minds, we're vagabonds, you and I
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2017, Inglés 2019, Aragónes 2024
While we're all going through difficult times, it seems that a lot of people are feeling disconnected and a bit isolated. In 2017 I walked the Camino Frances with a small group of friends from here in Dallas, Texas. By the time I finished, I'd met a group of people from around the world and more from my home state. These people are still my friends and since my Camino in 2017, my wife and I have visited many of them and some have come from South Africa and New Zealand to visit here in Texas. I don't know if this is common but I hope it is.

With the difficulties created by the Covid-19 virus, I wanted to find a way to reach out to those friends so I organized a Zoom virtual meeting (zoom.us) and invited them all, whether near or far, to join. We just finished that session and while it was a bit hectic at times, it was good to see one another, make sure that we're all safe and to just feel connected again.

While these tough times will pass, in the interim, I encourage you all to reach out to anyone who may be in need or, if you're feeling isolated, reach out to a friend wherever they are. Sometimes technology gets in the way, in this case, it was a great way to shrink the world and bring my friends smiling faces back into my home. It brightened my day, theirs too I think.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Bishop has just forbidden me to go to walking in Spain in September. ("I can't afford to lose you.") He might as well have put a bullet through my heart! I'll be haunting the Camino Forum, watching YouTube videos, and annoying old Camino friends by e-mail for many months, trying somehow to get through all this.

O Lord, show thy mercy upon us.

Last edited:
It is so important to take a moment to check in on friends and family. Your online group is a great idea.

I lost my best friend two days ago. I prayed for her at the Cruz de Ferro six months ago, leaving behind the stone she sent with me.

Today is my birthday. I grieve, guilty in a way for celebrating but also grateful for the reminder of how precious life truly is. Hold tight to those you love, and remember to say what needs saying while you have them.

Buen Camino, whether virtual, at home, or wherever your heart or imagination takes you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Bishop has just forbidden me to go to walking in Spain in September. ("I can't afford to lose you.") He might as well have put a bullet through my heart! I'll be haunting the Camino Forum, watching YouTube videos, and annoying old Camino friends by e-mail for many months, trying somehow to get through all this.

But wait--even in September? Can he predict the future?

He can certainly predict mine! ;)

He means well. I'll wait a bit, see how things develop, and if things look better than they do right now I'll ask him to reconsider. In the meantime, as the OP suggests, I'll reach out....

Last edited:
September seems like a long time away, but even if this virus "settles down" in the summer months it's not going away. It could have a second wave in the Fall. Can't let our guard down prematurely.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

The priest at my church, who walked the Norte in 2017, was scheduled to walk a pilgrimage through Italy to Rome in May. A fellow priest and friend was planning on walking with him. They are both very disappointed they won't be going.

For once, I am with the Bishop....

Sadly, there is no indication that the crisis will be over by September... The health crisis will be over when either of two events occur - the vast majority of the population has been infected and recovered and immunity develops such that the virus is unable to find a susceptible host, or a vaccine is developed and widely used, again to the extent that the virus is unable to find a susceptible host.

When the consequent social and economic crises will be over is anyone's guess...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree that September seems a long way off. I have no medical qualifications but it seems to me quite unlikely that the Camino will be open then. Here in Australia we’re grappling with it like every one else and it looks like a long road ahead. Buen Camino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back