• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying in Deba - Hotel Kanala

Elizabeth Cheung

Existential Sherpa
Time of past OR future Camino
Let's just say I've been around ;-)
So has anyone stayed at Hotel Kanala outside Deba? I am starting to look at where I want to stay and book (because I am using bag transfer). Deba doesn't have a lot to choose from once you forgo the muncipal. Zumari is booked up for the day I would be there. I just wanted to know if people stayed at Hotel Kanala, how did you get there if you do the coastal alternative? I see there is a bus. Is that basically how you got there and then back to Deba in the morning? I did a google map directions to and from the hotel and it does appear there is a bus that goes once every hour. Can anyone who has used it confirm with me if that is true or if they caught a cab up what the approximate cost was. Many thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So has anyone stayed at Hotel Kanala outside Deba? I am starting to look at where I want to stay and book (because I am using bag transfer). Deba doesn't have a lot to choose from once you forgo the muncipal. Zumari is booked up for the day I would be there. I just wanted to know if people stayed at Hotel Kanala, how did you get there if you do the coastal alternative? I see there is a bus. Is that basically how you got there and then back to Deba in the morning? I did a google map directions to and from the hotel and it does appear there is a bus that goes once every hour. Can anyone who has used it confirm with me if that is true or if they caught a cab up what the approximate cost was. Many thanks!

Hi, Elizabeth,
I have not stayed in Hotel Kanala, but I see that it is in Itziar. If you take the Ruta del Flysch from Zumaia, you will not go through Itziar. I walked from the albergue in Getaria, through Zumaia, on the Flysch to Deba, and from Deba continued on to Izarbide. I am surprised to see that Gronze doesn’t list the albergue there, https://izarbideaterpetxea.wixsite.com/izarbide

I know they had a rough spot when the owner’s dad was very ill and they turned it over to what turned out to be unreliable friends. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/izarbide-is-back.51052/#post-559868

But the last I heard they were back in the groove. It is a lovely place, a few kms after Deba, and I assume they would take your pack.

So, I don’t know where you are going to be starting the day, but it’s a doable stretch from Getaria. And oh so so beautiful!!!!

Thank you for your prompt reply! I am starting in Zarutz that day so it already will be quite walk getting to Deba. The albuergue you mentioned is on the Wise Pilgrim app and the reviews are still "mixed" as of a few months ago. Either way, it would be too far for me. I should be fine with Hotel Kanala. Worst case scenario is catch a cab or slog up the hill after a beer ;-)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.