• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying in SDC extra night or Madrid 2 nights

japino22

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 Frances my first
Since we are flying into and out of Madrid, I'd like your opinion where we should spend the extra night, either SDC or Madrid?
Or perhaps a town along the way?

We are only walking from Astorga to SDC in mid September. Since the distance must be compressed into 10 or 11 days we must cover some ground each day (approx 25k/day--we are quite athletic, 4 hour hikes every weekend.). But also don't want to be in a rush and miss a town or feature worth staying a little longer at. Any suggestions to our stages are appreciated.

Here are our stages:
1. Astorga to Rabanal del Camino 20K
2. Rabanal to Molinaseca 25K
3. Molinaseca to Villafranca del Bierzo 28K
4. VDB to O Cebreiro 28K
5. O Cebreiro to Triacastela 21K
6. Triacastela to Sarria 22K
7. Sarria to Portomarin 24K
8. Portomarin to Palas de Rei 24K
9. PDR to Arzua 29K
10. Arzua to SDC 38K

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think having an additional day as a cushion will be nice for you. There is much to see along the way and Santiago is a great city for an extra day.

Days 9 and 10 are long walks if it was me I would take it a bit slower. I think it would be good to spend time in Santiago rather than rushing to Madrid

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We stopped in salceda at a lovely place with great food. When we did go to Madrid it was strange and we missed being with our fellow pe!igrinos. I think by staying longer in Santiago you keep that camino feeling a bit longer.

All your stages end in the typical towns, that almost any guidebook names. Places a few km before or after are usually less crowded and often nicer, e.g. 1st day to Foncebadon.

Villafranca to Cebreiro is not a must! In the end of the day it's 800m up. So it might feel like 35km.
As I'm not happy with road I'd rather take the mountain alternative out of VdB instead of the road. It's a steep climb in the beginning and also steep down. So I often stoppen between Vega Valcarce and la Faba.
On the last long stage (10) I would rather stay in Monte de Gozo or even Salceda.

You can visit a lot in Madrid, if it is not a Monday. Like others wrote, are you up to do so?
The train to Madrid is 7hours, buses take 9h (about 50€ without discount). Flights can be inexpensive with hand luggage. Count 4h for getting in and out. Fall can bring fog with long delays in flights. With seperate tickets such delay is your problem.

Splurge if possible on a nice place in Santiago, a place where you can avoid the street noise to get some sleep. Santiago is beautiful and the old city is a great place to relax and slow down after many days on the Camino. Madrid is a great but a very large city and the hustle bustle of Madrid made me long to be back on the Camino. Like someone mentioned above, keep that Camino feeling as long as you can!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
35 Km the last day into Santiago is a very long day. You will want to arrive in the square early in the day, hopefully for mass at noon. The celebrations in the square are just too good to pass up, plan a short day for the last day.

Buen Camino Bob

Since we are flying into and out of Madrid, I'd like your opinion where we should spend the extra night, either SDC or Madrid?
Or perhaps a town along the way?

We are only walking from Astorga to SDC in mid September. Since the distance must be compressed into 10 or 11 days we must cover some ground each day (approx 25k/day--we are quite athletic, 4 hour hikes every weekend.). But also don't want to be in a rush and miss a town or feature worth staying a little longer at. Any suggestions to our stages are appreciated.

Here are our stages:
1. Astorga to Rabanal del Camino 20K
2. Rabanal to Molinaseca 25K
3. Molinaseca to Villafranca del Bierzo 28K
4. VDB to O Cebreiro 28K
5. O Cebreiro to Triacastela 21K
6. Triacastela to Sarria 22K
7. Sarria to Portomarin 24K
8. Portomarin to Palas de Rei 24K
9. PDR to Arzua 29K
10. Arzua to SDC 38K
Personally, Santiago for me

I had exactly the same question, but as I am travelling alone it sounds like more time in Santiago with fellow pilgrims would be better than time in Madrid alone.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If interested, there is lots to see and do in Madrid: palace, cathedral, Prado Museum, tapas, tapas and more tapas!

-Paul

9. PDR to Arzua 29K
10. Arzua to SDC 38K

You have many things to see in Madrid, but you will end the Camino with two very long stages. I think you'll need an extra day in Santiago. Probably, it would be better to save that extra day for Santiago.

Buen Camino!!!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back