• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying in touch while on the Camino

anacheka

Time of past OR future Camino
April 20-June 8 2017
Wondering ... what have others done to post pictures or let folks at home know where you are in the journey along the way? Is there a particular social media site or app that you liked (or didn't)?

Also, will I be able to make emergency phone calls on a cell phone that doesn't have service in Spain or will I need to get an international SIM card for that? I've heard that I can use wifi calling for texting or other communications while in aubergues.

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, @anacheka , and a belated welcome to the Forum!

Responding in the order of your questions...oh, to keep things in context, I originate from USA...

1) Camino 1 in 2012, Camino 2 in 2014 - I texted my wife every night and shared pictures after I was back home. Camino 3 in 2016 - much as 1 & 2 but, in addition, put out a couple pictures a day via text messaging. The difference for #3 is that circumstances required I carry a "smart" phone. On #3 I had an international plan for 2 Gig a month.

2) Having carried a few phones over the years, here is what I know - - but I hope better informed people will let us know of any precautions - - as long as your your phone is compatible with basic GSM network requirements, you can make an emergency call. If your phone already works in Europe, you should be fine.

3) Plenty of wifi ("wee-fee" in Spanish, btw :)) now. Rare in albergues in the Fall of 2012 , predominant by Spring of 2014. I can honestly say that I did not bump into a cybercafe a year ago. Maybe they are around but much scarcer than in 2012.

B

Hola, @anacheka

At my two last caminos i have made a blog at wordpress, in order to let my family and friends know where i ended up every day. (and to tell my story of the day. ) It is perfect to both blogging, and to upload some pictures of the day.
You can have wordpress as an app on your smart phone.
Plenty of free wi-fi in bars, and albergues.

Joergen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I made a public page on Facebook and used it as sort of a blog for the folks back home. I found it easy for posting pics, detailing my progress and the occasional story. Every now and then, on lonely evenings in French gites, I liked the feeling of company it gave me by reading the replies.
Being from Europe myself I had service everywhere, but relied on wifi anyway (which you'll find practically everywhere). I used Whatsapp, ideal for texting and sometimes even calling when the wifi signal was good.
But for emergency phone calls you can get a sim card easily, when of course your phone is unlocked.

I used Facebook for friends and posted pics and comments when I was sitting in a cafe having a pico and chocolate croissant. Virtually every cafe or bar has free wifi.

Remember, the Camino provides.

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
2015 I used an app called Journey for myself and updated family every day or two using Whatsap for text messages, 2016 I set up a blog on FindPenguins where I would post most days. I choose not to have phone service when I am on a pilgrimage and only send messages when I have WIFI.

I used Facebook via Wifi to update. But over the 3 1/2 weeks that I was walking, that must of only been 4/5 times.

I promised myself I was going to blog my journey before I left, but things didn't turn out the way I'd planned. When you find yourself immersed in the medatitive type of contemplation with yourself, life and nature, somehow trying to document that and keep others posted as to your 'progress' seemed conradictory to me at times. But of course eveyone's different in their approach. Plus cafe's were really friendly in allowing me to re-charge my phone for an hour whilst I was there enjoying a break and an ice cream!

[My original post has been edited to this similar version.]

My internet provider provides each subscriber with two email lists. A list is created for you and then you and others subscribe to the list. You all then send email to an address like camino@example.com. The software then forwards that mail to everyone who has subscribed to the list. If someone finds your posts boring they can unsubscribe from the list. An advantage here is that you do not have to modify any list of your own, you just keep sending email to one address only.

We requested that people refrain from sending mail to the list as, for example, Peg's relatives weren't really interested in what Rick's co-workers had to say. But the ability to have other people post to the list has its uses though. For example, someone at home could be designated to supply further material for you. You send a post saying that you visited a church in some town and a friend supplies a post with links to pictures and articles about the church and town and maybe google map information as well. Perhaps also links to others' blogs and videos covering the same sections.

I saw the advantages to using this email list method as nobody having to log onto a site and everybody knowing how to use email.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Primarily used Facebook for posting pictures and Messenger for where I wanted to send a private message. Lots of WIFI on the Frances both at Albergues and most cafe's. Not sure what it will be like in Portugal as far as free WIFI as I start from Porto on April 7th. I generally keep the 'radio' portion of my phone off as I don't really want people phoning me while I am walking. They can get in touch with via Messenger which I check a few times a day.

Wondering ... what have others done to post pictures or let folks at home know where you are in the journey along the way? Is there a particular social media site or app that you liked (or didn't)?
I usually create a group on Facebook with the
Also, will I be able to make emergency phone calls on a cell phone that doesn't have service in Spain or will I need to get an international SIM card for that? I've heard that I can use wifi calling for texting or other communications while in aubergues.

Thanks!
I usually create a group on Facebook and invite the friends that I think would be interested. When I get free wifi somewhere I write a post and add pics. Usually one post per day. I tend to start with info such as stage, starting and finish point, no of kms and then a summary of my experiences/observations. It's instead of a blog as I found blogging.com app impossible to use on my smartphone.
If I want to talk to someone at home I call them on messenger.

I just posed to FB, like a lot of people. My mobile service is with AT&T, so I just got a small international plan so I could make calls or text. I texted a couple people at home occasionally. Calls were all local - I didn't call home while on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I posted to a blog on blogspot.com for the wider group, including workmates etc., but my wife kept the closer group of friends/family updated via FB.
I think the FB group got a better description/photos/etc., but the wider group did enjoy seeing the blog....

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back