• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

staying @ Oseira Monastery

+@^^

? can you cant you
i walked with a Dutch woman (i miss you Hilda), and she stayed there for 2 nites (Oct 2010)
i remember the hospitalero at Ourense saying it was not possible
? what is the situation

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
tamtamplin said:
? can you cant you
i walked with a Dutch woman (i miss you Hilda), and she stayed there for 2 nites (Oct 2010)
? what is the situation

A very good question! We were told 3 weeks ago by both the Ourense hospitalero and the Ourense tourism officer in very strong terms that the monks were not interested in pilgrims having 1 night stays. If you wanted to have a longer stay and were prepared to be part of the monastory community then accommodation would be made available. But earlier on my walk I had met Yochim from Germany, and he was one of those people who take being told that they cannot do something as a challenge. So he walked to Oseira on May 6th and actually stayed just the one night with the monks. His English was not great so I did not get all the details, but I know that he had several conversations with the monks, and attended Vespers with them. His visit was not all he hoped however - he was extremely cold during the night, he could not get his washing dry, and the cost of food was high. Being yochim, he did not ring before-hand to tell the monks he was coming.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hello

In July 2010 a friend and I stayed for one night at the albergue only two that night which was a large room on the outside of the monastery which had a door that was entered on the outside of the monastery. I was told that if you stay three night that there are rooms for rent on the inside of the monastery.

There were showers, however they are a monks shower and in the monastery and can be reached at the end or start of one of the monastery tour.
Lauds was very nice in the morning as that day one of the monks waked us up to the choir loft to sit with the monks. Being able to read Spanish would be a boost for Lauds, my friend and I ended up needing to read a reply lauds after a small silence one of the monks read the reply. However it was very moving.

Debra

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola

The monks at Oseira are very interested in helping pilgrims and they have two types of accommodation:

1 A traditional 50 bed pilgrim albergue with bunk beds and blankets + tables and chairs. Showers and toilets are in a separate building. The albergue is donativo. There is no need to phone in advance.

2 The guest house in the Monastery which is for people (whether pilgrims or not) who wish to spend at least three days on religious retreat. This is also donativo but a minumum dontation is suggested. This must be booked in advance.

Oseira is very beautiful and is well worth a visit: http://www.mosteirodeoseira.org/principal.html

John

I stayed in Oseira for a couple of days towards the end of the Levante two years ago. It was an excellent opportunity for the stillness and prayerful atmosphere to pray and reflect on the Camino before arriving in Santiago. Attending Office and Mass with the Community is a very good part of this. I rang them up about a week before arriving and they were able to accommodate me,

Andy

I stayed in the monastery albergue and attended a service with two others who were staying in the monastery proper. There were four of us in the albergue that night, and as others have said, we were taken through a labyrinth of rooms and hallways to get to the very hot and clean showers.

I highly recommend an overnight here, if only because otherwise it will be very hard to arrange a visit to the monastery, which, IMO, is well worth it. And having the time in late afternoon to wander around the tiny tiny town, up some paths to look down on the monastery spectacularly nestled in the valley, was very peaceful and restorative.

The albergue looks very much like the former Roncesvalles albergue, just with a lot fewer beds. And it was clammy cold the night in June that I was there. One of the other peregrinos dragged his bunk outside and slept al fresco, where he said it was much warmer. I was fine with an extra blanket, very graciously provided by the monks.

My only caveat is the food situation -- there are two bars in town, but neither was particularly interested in feeding the four of us. We finally got one to grudgingly cook us a pork chop and some fries. You might want to bring food from Cea, but the albergue has no cooking facilities, so it would have to be sandwiches, etc. But since Cea's bread is so highly regarded, that seems like a good option. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed in the albergue outside the monastery back in June, and it was a great experience. The atmosphere was very peaceful, and the monks were incredibly helpful and kind. I did end up attending an evening mass which was mostly singing.

Overall I highly recommend stopping here on your journey. Well worth it.

I agree with Jonnie Walker, pilgrims are welcomed and the gift shop is fabulous. As stated on another occasion I stayed there for 5 days and enjoyed it.

to peregrina, sorry to disagree but I was cooked a meal by the senora at bar escuda every afternoon. the bar next to it also did meals of course you do have to advise them in advance. I stayed at Oseira 5 days and was fed well each day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, nathanael,

I can't remember the names of the two bars, but when we asked about dinner at the bar facing the monastery entrance, we were told they didn't do dinners. When we asked at the bar that is, if memory serves, close but a little bit around a corner, they agreed to make us dinner but were not pleasant about it. We (there were four of us) felt like we were being a big burden to them.I have to say that were kind of rude, or at least unpleasant.

I don't think we're disagreeing, I think we just had different experiences. I'm glad that the bars did meals for you -- maybe the economic crisis has made them a little more flexible.

I had a delightful stay at Oseira in October/Nov last year (2011) having hiked over from Castro Dozon early morning. I arrived just in time for midday prayers and Brother Luis, a very agreeable fellow welcomed me and asked if I’d like to join in. Later I hung out with him in the little shop chatting about all manner of things. Nobody else turned up so that evening I had the albergue all to myself. The previous summer much effort had been put in to tidy things up. A dehumidifier-heater was going 24 hours making it cosy, there were lot s of blankets on the bunk beds, odds and ends of things to read on the tables and paintings by Brother Luis adorning the walls. The next morning nothing was open so I had to walk all the way to Cea, which seemed like an eternity before getting coffee. I was flakey by then because I’d forgotten to carry extra supplies and although I’d managed to get a fry-up lunch in one of the bars in Oseira that was 2 pm the day before.

Attachments

• 089 - Copy.JPG
    089 - Copy.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,588
peregrina2000 said:
.....I don't think we're disagreeing, I think we just had different experiences....

Laurie, yes! I didn't know what a forum was until stumbling across this one. Having the freedom to voice one's experiences and views even when they differ is powerful. So much can be learned . Thanks everyone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Pilgrim Albergue at Oseira is now €5. The showers are in the same building, they are unisex so a little discretion is required :) There is a microwave so it is possible to make a hot drink, though there are no dishes at the moment. There is a drying area outside. The main room is not heated (it is enormous with a very high roof) but there is a small room (the calefactorium I think) which looks like it is heated in winter.
Pilgrims staying in the Albergue can attend Vespers in the evening and Mass and Lauds in the morning. On Sundays the Monks Mass (Gregorian) is at 11.30.
There are show rounds, €3, in the morning and afternoon, except Sunday when the show around is after Mass (about 12.45)

If you arrive outside of the shop hours, i.e.during the early afternoon, the Albergue is open so there is no need to disturb the Monks.

The Xunta operates the albergue now. On October 4, 2012 only the bookstore was open midday. Nearly thirty Norwegian architecture students asked to stay at the monastery, but could not. It is still a mixed experience for pilgrims interacting with the monastery without advance arrangements. Dropping in does not seem to be successful.

The Xunta operates the albergue now. On October 4, 2012 only the bookstore was open midday. Nearly thirty Norwegian architecture students asked to stay at the monastery, but could not. It is still a mixed experience for pilgrims interacting with the monastery without advance arrangements. Dropping in does not seem to be successful.
That is strange, there was no problem with pilgrims dropping into the Albergue last week. Do I assume that the students were not pilgrims and thought they could just use the monastery?
The shop is only open around 'show-rounds', at other times the people who 'man' it are busy. I stayed there last week with no problem at all, no pre-booking, no hassle. I just waited till it was convenient to register and pay. Were you just passing through, Falcon, or did you stay?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I stayed in 2009, I stayed in the Monastery rather than the albergue as a retreat before reaching Santiago. To stay in the Monastery you had to ring several days in advance to book (I did this about 4 days before when I was near enough to guarantee arrival at a particular day). It was very hospitable,

Andy

The albergue is not a problem. The group of 27 pilgrims wanted advance arrangements, but the monastery was not possible. With 27 already ahead of me, I kept moving!!

The Albergue can easily accomodate 27, and more.
I think there is a misunderstanding about the roles of the Albergue and the Guest House. The Monastery Guest House is for men who wish to make a retreat and to experience a few days of monastic life, the Albergue is for pilgrims.
It is perfectly comprehensible that a Monastery of Trappist monks would not wish to share the monastery with a group of students, i wouldn't share my house either :!:
The Albergue is like most others, there are no advance bookings, you take pot luck.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
they are wrong in Ourence, they have accommodation for 50 pilgrims and you are invited to attend Mass in the AM and Vespers in the evening. As I have stated I stayed there 5 days and ate each day at two bars outside the monastery walls. Maybe in Ourense they might have misunderstood you in that you wanted to stay in the monastery because you need a reservation in advance. The porter tried to bring me in its 30 euros a day to stay inside meals are included but with my self also there was no room although I was able to eat breakfast with the retreat ants each morning. I guess being an ex Trappists has some advantages. Nevertheless there is a lot of misinformation about staying at Oseira. They welcome pilgrims and it is a tranquil place to take a few days rest. I plan on returning next year and spending a week there.
Peace :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed there last year in the first week of May for an evening. Only one bar in the village was open - and it was quite expensive and the food was pretty average. I think it was called Bar Caracas or Venezuela - some name associated with Venezuela anyway. The monastery is really interesting - we signed up for the tour and joined the monks for sung vespers in the evening. There's a nice little gift shop with all sorts of thing pilgrims want but can't carry!

The albergue was basic but with all the amenities, although we were only 9 or 10. Things may have been stretched if there was a full house - toilets and so on. Not much in the way of cooking facilities - I seem to remember a microwave and kettle and not much more. The Camino there and out of the valley was beautiful - through farms and forests.

? can you cant you
? what is the situation
I stayed 5 days and had breakfast with the retreat ens every morning after Mass. Mostly because I got to know 5 pilgrims from Sevilla and her cousin took care of the retreat ens after Mass. Also the monks I was an ex Trappists Postulant at one point. Nevertheless they were very kind and and generous with me.

As far as I remember there are three modes of hospitality at the monastery: in the albergue, dormitory style accommodation and you look after yourself for meals; as a retreatant, where you stay in a "cell" and eat in the monastery guest dining room and spend days in silent prayer; and as a paying guest, where you stay in a room and also are provided with meals. In the last two you would normally need to book and they have a higher cost. This arrangement is common to most Cistercian monasteries. The monastery's website says "under no circumstances are groups of pilgrims accepted in the hospedería". However in my experience of other monasteries individual monks often ignore the rules! But one shouldn't expect this... http://www.mosteirodeoseira.org/monasterio/monasterio.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.