• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying visible to vehicles

Señor Steve

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues (2014)
I will walk the Portuguese Way this fall and would like some advice on how to stay visible to vehicles. My pack, rain cover and pants are all fairly dark or muted in color. Although I my shirts and rain poncho are bright, those are not easily seen from behind. Would it make sense to affix reflective Velcro bands on the back of the pack/rain cover, like the ones joggers wear on their ankles, or is there something better? I need something that won't fall off (which can happen with reflective tape) and won't get too heavy when it rains. Also, will it be problematic for drivers if I walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic? That's one of the ways I was taught at an early age to stay safe, so that I can see vehicles as they approach. Thanks.

Señor Steve

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Steve,

Do attach reflective tape and walk facing traffic on the left of any road. Buy in any large Portuguese gas station a large cheap Day-glo yellow or orange vest which all drivers in Europe are required to have within their car in case of accident. Always wear the vest over your pack for protection.

For more on reflective gear see this earlier Forum thread

Stay safe and Bom caminho,

Margaret Meredith

I will walk the Portuguese Way this fall and would like some advice on how to stay visible to vehicles. My pack, rain cover and pants are all fairly dark or muted in color. Although I my shirts and rain poncho are bright, those are not easily seen from behind. Would it make sense to affix reflective Velcro bands on the back of the pack/rain cover, like the ones joggers wear on their ankles, or is there something better? I need something that won't fall off (which can happen with reflective tape) and won't get too heavy when it rains. Also, will it be problematic for drivers if I walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic? That's one of the ways I was taught at an early age to stay safe, so that I can see vehicles as they approach. Thanks.

Señor Steve

Thanks Margaret!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use "refleksgarn" in some of my knitting, and have also taped some to my trekking poles, sewn some onto my backpack and shoes. If you want something that will go on your waterproofs/outside (sewing and making holes might not be the best idea...) "Reflective stickers" or "Reflective hangers" might work.

I don't know of any International shops that sell them, but have never looked as I knew they'd be easy to find in Norway. Growing up just north of the Arctic Circle the last thing my parents would say before I, or my siblings went outside in the darker months was: "Do you have your "Refleks" on. If visiting friends, and I'd forgotten it - my friends' parents would attach one.

To me they are a "necessary" part of being outside and I wish their use was more widespread.

I used these reflective strips from Home Depot, an American home improvements store:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-2-in-x-6-in-Reflective-Safety-Tape-840370/202051763
They come in a package of 2 red and 2 silver strips, each 6" (15cm) long. I punched holes in each end with a paper punch, and attached them to my backpack with small s-clips whenever I walked in the early morning or where visibility was otherwise limited -- red strips on the back and silver strips on my shoulder straps to the front.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After two Camino Frances I arrived at, what for me and my preferences, works for walking along the road safety. The suggestions can be itemized as follows:

1. Ensure that the OUTERMOST items of clothing and gear you are wearing are either color contrasting to the surrounding environment, OR are really bright, safety fluorescent colors so as to get an oncoming driver's attention. So, a white, pastel, or wild day-glo safety colored poncho, jacket, parka or fleece, or hat is better than black, brown, olive, navy blue, dark green, tan, rust, deep burgundy, burnt orange, purple etc. in this regard. The point is to stand apart from the background colors. The opposite of this approach would be to wear anything in a camouflage pattern.

2. On already bought items that are dark colored, apply day-glo adhesive reflective patches, available at any bicycling shop. When considering where to affix them, consider it from the perspective of you being a driver, approaching someone wearing this item. Which applique would work best at getting YOUR attention?

3. Consider replacing removable web straps on your gear with reflective day-glo safety straps. If you cannot locate a supplier for webbing by the foot / meter, buy an inexpensive dog or cat leash from a pet store that accomplishes the task and trim it to purpose. I am in the process of replacing dull grey straps with this sort of arrangement before my next Camino in 2015. I also use bicycle pants clips to fasten my rolled up rain parka, as well as velcro tabbed bicycle straps to secure gear to my rucksack. This way the straps do double-duty and are weight-neutral.

4. If you use a trekking staff or walking sticks, obtain reflective tape (3M makes it and sells it in most DIY stores). Cut the tape to suit and affix to create multiple "bands" around your sticks / pole. I have one band around each walking stick segment and another at the very bottom, before the tip. My carbon fiber staff has four sections so it has five bands.

I taught myself a trick with these stripped poles that always gets an oncoming driver's attention, especially if their headlights are on. You are walking facing oncoming traffic. You see a vehicle several hundred meters ahead, closing on you. Holding your walking stick or staff firmly in hand, rotate your right wrist to cause the stick with the reflective bands to swing in an arc into the oncoming traffic lane so the stick / staff is at least parallel to the road.

The oncoming driver should see the moving multiple reflective tabs moving in a 90 degree arc pattern similar to a propellor. If they do not see you they are blind, under the influence, or texting. THAT should be your cue to look for a place to dive into just in case they do not move. In my experience, after seeing the flashing wand, drivers tend to move more towards the center line to give me a wider berth / passage.

Lastly, LED blinky lights also work. I have used them with success. The right LED light can do double-duty as your on-the-road flashlight (torch). On balance though, I found they added (albeit marginally) to weight and sometimes got "misplaced." So, I have gone to reflective straps, tape, and bright contrasting clothing.

Someone commented about this recently telling me I would glow in the dark. My reply was that I would rather be a colorful clown than dark and deceased...;)

I hope this helps.

When I was walking along the roads on the Portuguese I wished I had a reflective 'flag' flying from the shaft of my roadside pole. I found that car drivers would be fairly courteous but coaches and lorries seemed not to make any allowance for me and were very threatening. On many occasions I waved my arm and pole into the road to attract attention but not sure if this had much effect. I did see one or two people walking with blinking lights which I think is an excellent idea that I will adopt next time. As you will be walking towards the traffic you definitely need something reflective on the front of your person.

The day from Porto to Vilarinho was definitely the most hazardous and I would highly recommend avoiding this stage by taking the coastal route.
Bom caminho!

Magwood is right, consider the coastal way! Walking out of Porto to Vilarinho is a nightmare. In some parts of the otherwise safe and beautiful camino, you are right next to the cars with no space for walkers. The Brierley guide describes how to get out of Porto on the coastal route and the inland route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Señor Steve

We always walk at the side of the road so we look towards the drivers . Never have them coming from behind you !
Wear safety vests.
image.jpg image.jpg

I have found the vest a pain in the asset. Some are bulky, while others don't breathe. On my last Camino (CI) I wore a reflective velcro strip that was easily attached to the back of my pack. Further research turns up this:
http://www.modernbike.com/product-2126184029?gclid=CKLxn6D7tsACFYqBfgodYyAA0w

It's quite nice and, because it reflects the international symbol for caution...it's less confusing to a moving vehicle than a light, or strip. Muscle memory wins out over new info analytical brain response every time.

I like that @Arn - I think I will buy two - one to attach to my chest and the other for my roadside walking pole. Before walking the Portuguese route I would have thought this was 'overkill' but now I know better and will be more prepared for my next camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
image.jpg
I have found the vest a pain in the asset. Some are bulky, while others don't breathe. On my last Camino (CI) I wore a reflective velcro strip that was easily attached to the back of my pack. Further research turns up this:
http://www.modernbike.com/product-2126184029?gclid=CKLxn6D7tsACFYqBfgodYyAA0w

It's quite nice and, because it reflects the international symbol for caution...it's less confusing to a moving vehicle than a light, or strip. Muscle memory wins out over new info analytical brain response every time.
So what. Ours are cheap and light vests. 100 grams. Breathable ? They are for safety use. If there is a part that can be dangerous, we wear them If not they are ready for grabbing in an outside department of the backpack or hang about.

Better to be seen than brought away to the hospital or worse !

I like your aardvark solution but walking towards the traffic it has no effect unless you use 2 of them in front and on the backside And when we walk alongside a busy road contrairely towards oncoming traffic we do not walk cosily next to each other but behind each other so my vest is in the front and my wife's hanging over the backpack eventually seen by overtaking drivers. More you can't do than take care and pray that you do not meet Saint James earlier above in the cloud than in Santiago in person on the altar of the cathedral !
Isn't that our goal !?

Last edited:
I like that @Arn - I think I will buy two - one to attach to my chest and the other for my roadside walking pole. Before walking the Portuguese route I would have thought this was 'overkill' but now I know better and will be more prepared for my next camino.
Handy. But you allways walk with one flagpost. Better have it in front of your chest so the complete surface of the device can be seen. When used as a flagpost by the airstream it follows the lateral side so than you are not seen yet.
Fix one to your chest and one on the back of your backpack I should say !

It looks fairly stiff @Albertinho - I was thinking I could run a length of Velcro vertically down the centre so that it is facing forward on my pole. Worth a try!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Our safety vests are mesh so both highly visible and breathable too. We adapted them to fit over our packs and also when wearing our ponchos, they also tie back 'flat' when not wearing a pack.
The flashing light strip is hung on my chest strap and Terry's on the back of his pack. On a road I walk in front and the yellow strip does seem to work. It gave up flashing very quick;y so a Hi-vis strip would be just a good.

Attachments

• safety vest.jpg
    safety vest.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 8
Our safety vests are mesh so both highly visible and breathable too. We adapted them to fit over our packs and also when wearing our ponchos, they also tie back 'flat' when not wearing a pack.
The flashing light strip is hung on my chest strap and Terry's on the back of his pack. On a road I walk in front and the yellow strip does seem to work. It gave up flashing very quick;y so a Hi-vis strip would be just a good.
Good solution !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back