• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stencils for making St James Torte de Santiago

ctay122

Time of past OR future Camino
2020 Camino Frances
Posted here because I have know idea what forum to post this. I was planning on buying a metal St James cross stencil for the Torte de Santiago as a souvenir (and for when I bake) when I reached Santiago, so of course that's out the window for now. Just talking about this stencil on one of my Facebook camino pages (which is women only), some of us mentioning it was on our list to look for. I did find one source now in France selling them online (I am in the US) and I did email them to see if they would ship to the US (no answer yet, they m ay be closed). But hoping Ivar might see this post and consider maybe offering them in his camino store? I'm sure there is a demand for it, especially if I post they are available on this particular Facebook page. I don't want to use a paper stencil, I want something that I will keep forever and pass on to my granddaughter who loves to bake also. Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Posted here because I have know idea what forum to post this. I was planning on buying a metal St James cross stencil for the Torte de Santiago as a souvenir (and for when I bake) when I reached Santiago, so of course that's out the window for now. Just talking about this stencil on one of my Facebook camino pages (which is women only), some of us mentioning it was on our list to look for. I did find one source now in France selling them online (I am in the US) and I did email them to see if they would ship to the US (no answer yet, they m ay be closed). But hoping Ivar might see this post and consider maybe offering them in his camino store? I'm sure there is a demand for it, especially if I post they are available on this particular Facebook page. I don't want to use a paper stencil, I want something that I will keep forever and pass on to my granddaughter who loves to bake also. Thanks.

Before purchasing mine in Spain, I made one out of the plastic from a thin cutting board. I used one of the online stencils to scale and print a copy. Then I used the stencil to trace the pattern onto the plastic. I used a pair of sharp, stiff-bladed scissors to do the cutting.

I ended up gluing a tiny 1/2" of dowel, sitting upright on its end, onto the surface of the plastic stencil. That made it easier to cleanly pull the stencil off the tarta after dusting it with powdered sugar.

You might have some luck ordering via Amazon.es. It gave me delivery options for the UK, no idea whether the same will apply for the USA, but if you scroll down you'll see quite a few of the reviews are from the "Estados Unidos".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Before purchasing mine in Spain, I made one out of the plastic from a thin cutting board. I used one of the online stencils to scale and print a copy. Then I used the stencil to trace the pattern onto the plastic. I used a pair of sharp, stiff-bladed scissors to do the cutting.

I ended up gluing a tiny 1/2" of dowel, sitting upright on its end, onto the surface of the plastic stencil. That made it easier to cleanly pull the stencil off the tarta after dusting it with powdered sugar.
Great idea!

I made mine out of cardboard, which I cutted with a cutting plotter.
Glued two layers together and laquered them.
The edge is sharp enough to get nice results and it is strong enough to pull it away without disturbing the powdered sugar.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I got mine by mail order from a store in France - quite likely the same one. At first they said they don't ship to Australia, but I wrote them a very respectful reply and they relented ❤

I got mine in Santiago, but Amazon USA used to carry the same ones, because I referred a couple people to the site. That was a few years ago, so .... but worth doing a search.

I got mine by mail order from a store in France - quite likely the same one. At first they said they don't ship to Australia, but I wrote them a very respectful reply and they relented ❤
I believe it is the same one. I wrote and asked and explained why I wanted one so badly. I got a nice reply today and was told they don't normally ship overseas because of the cost and customs issues but they will send one to me and will forward a link for me to pay if I want one. I am so happy right now! So kind to do this for me!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
TWO REQUESTS: 1) can anyone post the recipe and baking instructions for this special treat?
2) Please post photos of your stencils
Buen Camino Amigos, hasta luego

TWO REQUESTS: 1) can anyone post the recipe and baking instructions for this special treat?
2) Please post photos of your stencils
Buen Camino Amigos, hasta luego

Tarta de Santiago
Makes one 9-inch round

Ingredients
  • Butter (for the pan)
  • 6 Eggs
  • 1 Yolk of an egg
  • 1¼ cups Granulated sugar
  • 1 Lemon rind, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon Almond extract
  • ½ pound Almond flour (about 2¼ cups)
  • Powder sugar (for sprinkling)

Directions

Set the oven at 350 degrees.

Lightly butter a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with a round of parchment paper, and butter the paper.

In an electric mixer, beat the eggs and granulated sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until thickened and pale yellow.

Beat in the lemon and orange rind and almond extract. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the almond meal and mix to blend.

Pour the batter into the pan.

Bake the cake for 35 minutes or until it is golden, a little darker around the edge, and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs.

Cool in the pan; unlatch the sides and lift off the ring. Use a wide metal spatula to transfer the cake to a platter. (Please see Notes of an alternative that I like better)

Notes:

However much batter you have, DO NOT fill the pan to the top. Leave at least one to two inches of space. Springform pans not only come in various diameter sizes, but also heights.

I use pre-cut parchment 'round' to line the bottom of the pan. If you cannot find them at a local cooking store, you can order them online. If you make your own from a roll of parchment, use the detachable bottom of the springform pan as the template.

If you don't have fresh lemon available for it zest, then you can substitute with lemon extract. About 1 teaspoon. The fresh and vivid taste imparted by the zest makes it worthwhile to have lemons on hand :)

Flavorings can be adjusted in measurements, so that it is to your preferred taste.

I prefer to add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the batter when the almond flour is added. I find that it adds a bit more depth to the flavors, and it takes away the 'flatness' of the taste.

When detaching the cake from the bottom of the springform pan, I place a flat plate onto the top of the cake, then while holding the plate to the top, flip the whole thing. This makes removal of the bottom pan easier, and allows easy and steady detachment of the parchment sheet.

I will place a fresh round of parchment onto the cake's bottom, and lay the serving platter or cake dish on top of the parchment, and invert the entire thing again.

I do this because I have found that cutting and removing slices of tarta to be easier. Sometimes when the parchment is left on after baking to use for serving, slices can be adhered to the parchment and be messier to remove for a serving.

This is similar to the template I use.

1584989531120.png

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tarta de Santiago
Makes one 9-inch round

Ingredients
  • Butter (for the pan)
  • 6 Eggs
  • 1 Yolk of an egg
  • 1¼ cups Granulated sugar
  • 1 Lemon rind, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon Almond extract
  • ½ pound Almond flour (about 2¼ cups)
  • Powder sugar (for sprinkling)

Directions

Set the oven at 350 degrees.

Lightly butter a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with a round of parchment paper, and butter the paper.

In an electric mixer, beat the eggs and granulated sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until thickened and pale yellow.

Beat in the lemon and orange rind and almond extract. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the almond meal and mix to blend.

Pour the batter into the pan.

Bake the cake for 35 minutes or until it is golden, a little darker around the edge, and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs.

Cool in the pan; unlatch the sides and lift off the ring. Use a wide metal spatula to transfer the cake to a platter. (Please see Notes of an alternative that I like better)

Notes:

However much batter you have, DO NOT fill the pan to the top. Leave at least one to two inches of space. Springform pans not only come in various diameter sizes, but also heights.

I use pre-cut parchment 'round' to line the bottom of the pan. If you cannot find them at a local cooking store, you can order them online. If you make your own from a roll of parchment, use the detachable bottom of the springform pan as the template.

If you don't have fresh lemon available for it zest, then you can substitute with lemon extract. About 1 teaspoon. The fresh and vivid taste imparted by the zest makes it worthwhile to have lemons on hand :)

Flavorings can be adjusted in measurements, so that it is to your preferred taste.

I prefer to add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the batter when the almond flour is added. I find that it adds a bit more depth to the flavors, and it takes away the 'flatness' of the taste.

When detaching the cake from the bottom of the springform pan, I place a flat plate onto the top of the cake, then while holding the plate to the top, flip the whole thing. This makes removal of the bottom pan easier, and allows easy and steady detachment of the parchment sheet.

I will place a fresh round of parchment onto the cake's bottom, and lay the serving platter or cake dish on top of the parchment, and invert the entire thing again.

I do this because I have found that cutting and removing slices of tarta to be easier. Sometimes when the parchment is left on after baking to use for serving, slices can be adhered to the parchment and be messier to remove for a serving.

This is similar to the template I use.

View attachment 71743

Thanks Dave - any chance there is a recipe with metric quantities (80% of the world does not use pounds weight!!) Thanks

Thanks Dave! I'll send you a photo of the finished product when I get it done.

Thanks Dave - any chance there is a recipe with metric quantities (80% of the world does not use pounds weight!!) Thanks

Generally I use grams when baking as that gives a finer measurement than imperial. I did not bother with conversions for this recipe because the precision of measurement isn't really a big deal for the tarta.

Here is a link to help with conversions, though. If I want to do a conversion from Imperial or vice-versa, that site is what I reference.

€83,-
Hi Dave - just being a bit dedantic. thanks for metric link. Now all I have to do is cook!!.

I bought a ceramic 9" Santiago cross on one of my camino and it hangs on a wall in my den.....except when I make Santiago cake. That's when I take it down, rinse it off, use it as a stencil, wash it and put it right back up on the wall....dual purpose souvenir 😉

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
See attached for metric recipe. From the Hairy Bikers Big of Baking. Also attached is the red plastic cross I purchased in Santiago last year.image.jpegimage.jpeg
Iimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi! I just wanted to pop in and say that I had some beautiful Tarta stencils made here on the campus of the University of Notre Dame, where I work. They are made with birch wood with the idea that they can be passed on to future generations. They are available in my Etsy shop, southbendbaking.com.
Peace,
Renée

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back