• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

STEPS: Why Pilgrims Walk the Camino de Santiago

jj-now

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Frances, walked from 6-Feb to 3-Mar-17.
Future: Camino Frances for summer 2019
Hi all,

I filmed a short movie covering the Camino last summer. It uses interviews, key facts and visuals to concisely show newcomers the Camino experience (and bring nostalgia to those who've walked).

I am studying my final year of undergraduate journalism and bled some heart and soul into this project. I'd really appreciate any exposure and/or feedback if inclined!

FILM LINK:

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nicely edited and filmed. A good watch.

I think it was too concise, though. :)

Personally, I see you have the talent in this project to do a longer 30 to 45 minute video, That would give more breathing room for viewers to see the Camino's terrain -- as seen by the walking pilgrim -- along with more in-depth views of the supporting infrastructure (bars, mercados, alburgues, etc), and life on the pilgrimage from sunrise to sunset. The highs and lows: from blisters and snoring to the joys of ending a stage and relaxing, and the final last steps in reaching Santiago.

But in terms of THIS project, Well Done 👍

Hi all,

I filmed a short movie covering the Camino last summer. It uses interviews, key facts and visuals to concisely show newcomers the Camino experience (and bring nostalgia to those who've walked).

I am studying my final year of undergraduate journalism and bled some heart and soul into this project. I'd really appreciate any exposure and/or feedback if inclined!

FILM LINK:

Buen Camino
Very nicely done, jj, and Davebugg has offered some useful points to move it up a notch. The tone of your voice is soothing, not jarring - a great start! Think carefully then, about the focus for your next one, as you have a talent that will be fine tuned as you go along in your course. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The embedded link is timing out for me :( Can somebody give me the direct link please? BC SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,

FILM LINK:

Buen Camino
Well done. I liked it. There are as many reasons to walk the Camino as there are people, but I think uou captured a good representation, save for the spiritual aspect. I realize in today’s culture that gets overlooked or denied, but this is first and foremost a pilgrimage, one deeply personal and of great significance. And I think regardless of one’s religious tradition - or lack thereof, there is some kind of spiritual encounter along the way, which has the most lasting impact.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nice video! Walking the Camino can be a very different experience to different people. I noticed that in your concluding remarks you used the term “Pilgrimage vacation” and my personal opinion is, that the video shows the “vacation” aspect more than the “pilgrimage” aspect. It focuses a lot on the social side, on walking in groups and chatting with each other. That is fine, that is the reality of the Camino for many people; but there is also a more spiritual/contemplative side to the Camino and there are people (myself included) who like to walk alone and to stay away from these groups. However, as I said, it is fine to focus on the social aspect and in doing so I think that the video is very well made.

I noticed that in your concluding remarks you used the term “Pilgrimage vacation” and my personal opinion is, that the video shows the “vacation” aspect more than the “pilgrimage” aspect. It focuses a lot on the social side, on walking in groups and chatting with each other. That is fine, that is the reality of the Camino for many people; but there is also a more spiritual/contemplative side to the Camino and there are people (myself included) who like to walk alone and to stay away from these groups.
I think that reflects the reality of the Camino in recent years: it has become a platform for many different needs and intentions and interpretations. A few months ago @Kathar1na posted some fascinating statistics from 1987 which show a very different ethos. The vast majority of those walking declaring themselves as Christian (and more specifically Catholic) and to be walking for religious reasons. In fact only 5 individuals out of 1400+ described themselves as something else: two Jews, two Buddhists and one solitary "sans religion". A massive change in the perception of what the essence of the Camino is.
Statistics 1988 (1).jpg

Nice work. There are a couple of observations you make about the very secular, vacation-like nature of the Camino Francés peregrination these days. Like some others, I feel compelled to note that this does not reflect me as a pilgrim at all, but I accept, sadly, that you have captured the reality of it. This probably reflects contemporary Western life in a nutshell.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nice work. There are a couple of observations you make about the very secular, vacation-like nature of the Camino Francés peregrination these days. Like some others, I feel compelled to note that this does not reflect me as a pilgrim at all, but I accept, sadly, that you have captured the reality of it. This probably reflects contemporary Western life in a nutshell.
I should add.... it's sad that the ladies central to this film denied laughingly that there was any spitiual/religious dimension yet are photographed with compostellas. So they clearly lied at the pilgrim office. Apparently the case for most who receive the acknowledgement.

Well done. I liked it. There are as many reasons to walk the Camino as there are people, but I think uou captured a good representation, save for the spiritual aspect. I realize in today’s culture that gets overlooked or denied, but this is first and foremost a pilgrimage, one deeply personal and of great significance. And I think regardless of one’s religious tradition - or lack thereof, there is some kind of spiritual encounter along the way, which has the most lasting impact.

I second this. I liked the video, but was sad to see only those who were walking for non-spiritual reasons, and who were dismissive to spirituality. -- For me, I was surprised at how often I was touched by the grace of God on the Camino, and also for me, the Camino is (was?) a place where I could be open about my faith. Walking the Camino for me, made me realize that my entire life is walking toward Christ. I know it is not this for everyone, and everyone has their own camino-- But I guess I'm back to the question of "What is a Pilgrimage? And what is a long walk?"

You managed to convey a little of what the Camino represents for some but I didn't like the focus on the two women who seemed well suited to each other. They give the impression they were on a walking holiday and didn't seem open to others and the spirit of the Camino. I didn't learn anything new about the route or perspective of the pilgrims you decided to focus the attention on. To be honest, quite bland considering your studying journalism and obviously talented 🤠

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would like to expand to what Turga said. There is no criticism about your video whatsoever except for the last line about choosing a pilgrim "vacation" We all have our own valid reasons for walking but my fear that is becoming a reality is that the "Camino" is becoming a tourist destination. For me quite depressing. You show a great ability as a young filmmaker. No need to critique your style and technical prowess as it is there for all to see. There were moments in the film when you spoke to a few people who obviously were going through some profound personal and spiritual issues. I am sure there were more that you filmed that were also experiencing a change, trauma or a powerful reason to walk. I really wished you had delved more deeply into those people. I don't know maybe they were not willing to talk on camera about this.
I for one and I am sure I am in the minority have stopped watching almost all videos that people shoot and post. Yes some are very good and some are just fun. But they have a sameness to them. Waking up, walking, scenery, eating, music, or talk about much of the same things, bedbugs, blisters, food, "camino families" etc. etc. etc.
Of the many docs and films I have watched only one and one half stand up. "Six Ways To Santiago" is the first one. Not from the perspective of the people who the documentary revolved around. Although I enjoyed hearing their stories for the most part. It was again, at the end of the day not very memorable or most of the time not that interesting me. What I found far more compelling was the interviews with the Spaniards who lived on or were connected to the Camino spiritually. There definitely is a very deep connection among many Spanish people to the Camino that others do not have, even many of us who have walked, even multiple times. Their connection runs to the fabric of their souls and has nothing to do with albergues, blisters or tour companies that provide luxury camino experiences.
But by far the best documentary I watched was "Looking For Infinity: El Camino". I found myself deeply moved by the words of many of the people. One person that is highlighted was the young man who set up a home on the Meseta. I spent a very stormy 3 hours with him when walking conditions on the Meseta were near impossible in 2014. I hope you do watch it. Of course I did not connect with every one who was featured but I loved the tone and purpose of the video.
At the end a man speaks - (mostly direct quotes with a little paraphrasing) "In the end you just walk.. It is metaphoric. You are walking for your soul. Every step you take, is a step closer to freedom. Every step you take is honesty walking with honesty. IF YOU WALK AS A TOURIST, SHOPPING ALL THE TIME, SPENDING MONEY, YOU WILL BE THE SAME PERSON, NO CHANGES. THEN EL CAMINO WAS WORTHLESS. I recommend the camino to everyone. It is an incredible experience."
I am sure you could make a doc too that would add so much more to the Camino experience than my blisters.
I am sure what I wrote above may anger some and many others will say it is not true for me. But for me every year I walk I feel something may be slipping away from the meaning of pilgrimage and purpose. The closer I get to Santiago the more I feel it. It is just my opinion and feeling and holds no greater value than someone who disagrees. I will keep walking and keeping my Camino spirit alive. This year Portugal for a second time and next year VDLP.
Keep filming and keep putting your heart and soul into it. You can never go wrong that way!

Last edited:
I second this. I liked the video, but was sad to see only those who were walking for non-spiritual reasons, and who were dismissive to spirituality. -- For me, I was surprised at how often I was touched by the grace of God on the Camino, and also for me, the Camino is (was?) a place where I could be open about my faith. Walking the Camino for me, made me realize that my entire life is walking toward Christ. I know it is not this for everyone, and everyone has their own camino-- But I guess I'm back to the question of "What is a Pilgrimage? And what is a long walk?"
I am totally not into religion whatsoever. But that is my business and no one else's. I LOVE what you wrote. It is 1000% my feelings also. If walking towards Christ is your "Way" you are a lucky man to have discovered that. I am walking towards my still yet completely disclosed place. I believe you already know what is Pilgrimage. It sure isn't a long walk. I will withhold my thoughts about people who walk for a bucket list, or fun and then still walk away unchanged to myself. Takers but you my friend are giving all your soul to the steps you take on Pilgrimage.

Hi all,

FILM LINK:

Buen Camino
A lovely video. Thank you. So many people using their poles incorrectly 🙄. Is that bad of me to notice that?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am totally not into religion whatsoever. But that is my business and no one else's. I LOVE what you wrote. It is 1000% my feelings also. If walking towards Christ is your "Way" you are a lucky man to have discovered that. I am walking towards my still yet completely disclosed place. I believe you already know what is Pilgrimage. It sure isn't a long walk. I will withhold my thoughts about people who walk for a bucket list, or fun and then still walk away unchanged to myself. Takers but you my friend are giving all your soul to the steps you take on Pilgrimage.
thanks.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Nicely edited and filmed. A good watch.

I think it was too concise, though. :)

Personally, I see you have the talent in this project to do a longer 30 to 45 minute video, That would give more breathing room for viewers to see the Camino's terrain -- as seen by the walking pilgrim -- along with more in-depth views of the supporting infrastructure (bars, mercados, alburgues, etc), and life on the pilgrimage from sunrise to sunset. The highs and lows: from blisters and snoring to the joys of ending a stage and relaxing, and the final last steps in reaching Santiago.

But in terms of THIS project, Well Done 👍

Thank you!! Will be making a 20-minute version for Spring. It would be fantastic to rewalk with better planning and resources to really capture everything with due diligence. Appreciate the comments on landscapes and experiences.

Nice video! Walking the Camino can be a very different experience to different people. I noticed that in your concluding remarks you used the term “Pilgrimage vacation” and my personal opinion is, that the video shows the “vacation” aspect more than the “pilgrimage” aspect. It focuses a lot on the social side, on walking in groups and chatting with each other. That is fine, that is the reality of the Camino for many people; but there is also a more spiritual/contemplative side to the Camino and there are people (myself included) who like to walk alone and to stay away from these groups. However, as I said, it is fine to focus on the social aspect and in doing so I think that the video is very well made.
Agreed. As you can imagine, it's difficult to capture the solitary side because solitary people don't often want to be filmed; I needed to capture people being their authentic selves, so social angle was easier to cover..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You managed to convey a little of what the Camino represents for some but I didn't like the focus on the two women who seemed well suited to each other. They give the impression they were on a walking holiday and didn't seem open to others and the spirit of the Camino. I didn't learn anything new about the route or perspective of the pilgrims you decided to focus the attention on. To be honest, quite bland considering your studying journalism and obviously talented 🤠
I'll be forthcoming; I needed interviewees I could shoot relevant action shots with and reunite to film interviews that show a 'change'. I bonded well with Anja and Angela so, while others I spoke to may have had more insightful experiences, my time with these ladies worked better in a story structure.

I'll be forthcoming; I needed interviewees I could shoot relevant action shots with and reunite to film interviews that show a 'change'. I bonded well with Anja and Angela so, while others I spoke to may have had more insightful experiences, my time with these ladies worked better in a story structure.
If I was a journalist, I'd expect to be looking for unique perspective that others haven't covered. It might educate and entertain and subjects you choose are key to the human story. I didn't observe any sense of 'change' and its your choice to spend your time with whoever but in my experience there are much more insightful, inspirational and interesting pilgrims than the one's you choose. Maybe next time wait for the story to find you , wishing you luck with your journalistic journey 🤠

Hi all,

FILM LINK:

Buen Camino
Beautifully produced with gorgeous video of the entire experience. Loved the interviews with some of the pilgrims however, I was hoping for more spiritual expressions or raw emotion that you often see along the Camino. I think you captured a little of it with the gentleman who was on the verge of tears. Next time, I think you should produce a longer version to capture the scenery, the albergue experience, the communal dining, etc. Most of all, some personal reflection as well. Don't be afraid to make it longer as I really didn't want this one to end. Overall, it was a fine job indeed!

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

FILM LINK:

Buen Camino
Lovely film on the Camino. I did it over 10 years ago and so many ppl walk for so many different reasons. And your piece encapsulates that so well. Well done!

A late observation.

Technically you have done your journalism instructors proud... however, you have made a common error. On your first Camino you filmed your project (walking the Camino), you should have walked without the camera. You could have experienced the Camino without the mind thinking about what's next.
This would be a good shot.
These people have a compelling narrative.
Oh...I could tie this in with the sunset...rain deluge...scene at the Tapas Bar...etc, etc, etc.

So... my suggestion... Walk again...don't film...experience the experience. Then walk again and film what you are presented with. Your technical skills are good...your content is somewhat shallow.

Peace be with you...

Hola @jj-now, thank you, thank you, thank you. I did not know how much I have missed the Camino (since Jun 2017).
Hopefully with the COVID19 Vaccination my brother and I can re-plan to get to Porto and start our 15 day walk. Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A late observation.

Technically you have done your journalism instructors proud... however, you have made a common error. On your first Camino you filmed your project (walking the Camino), you should have walked without the camera. You could have experienced the Camino without the mind thinking about what's next.
This would be a good shot.
These people have a compelling narrative.
Oh...I could tie this in with the sunset...rain deluge...scene at the Tapas Bar...etc, etc, etc.

So... my suggestion... Walk again...don't film...experience the experience. Then walk again and film what you are presented with. Your technical skills are good...your content is somewhat shallow.

Peace be with you...
Hi Baba John, I appreciate the thoughts.

I walked the Camino Frances in February 2017 without filming; 2019 was my second time walking, so I wanted to focus on others instead of myself this time.

I appreciate I could have gone deeper in areas (I definitely wish I had in interviews). It was tough balancing the main characters' journey with key parts of the trail and the other pilgrims' motivations. Next time I'll definitely bring out more intimate emotions.

Peace be with you also

Hi all,

I filmed a short movie covering the Camino one summer. It uses interviews, key facts and visuals to concisely show newcomers the Camino experience (and bring nostalgia to those who've walked).

I made this for Undergraduate Journalism and hope it does the journey justice. I'd really appreciate any exposure and/or feedback if inclined!

As a J.J (my real initials) I felt compelled to watch.:) For me , it was towards the end that I found the real bit of your work. The simple shot of two feet striding on. Its something that I have tried to explain to many people when they asked me why I didn't take photographs. I said and meant it, that I was watching my feet, as Camino itself was something I felt and touched me deeply.

Good luck and buen Camino!

Samarkand.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back