• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sticker Shock in Port de la Selva

peregrina2000

Staff member
I'm looking around at possible places to stay before starting my Cami Catala. Looks like Port de la Selva is a beach town, looks like little pensiones (like the ones on the Levante or Olvidado that cost 20 euros a night) are 70 euros for a single room. Sulu, if you're reading this, I can't tell from your blog exactly where you stayed -- Llanca? a campsite somewhere?

Ideally, I'd find a more reasonably priced place in Port de la Selva or a few kms outside, but on the Camino. I will be arriving in Barcelona early in the morning from the US, making my way up to the starting point on what looks like a train/taxi combo, and I could walk a few (no more than 12, ideally) kms that afternoon if anyone can recommend a place to stay.

Thanks, and buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, K1,
Thanks for your help. I think that maybe Sulu stayed in that albergue in Llanca, but I would much prefer not to have to hop into a cab to start my camino.

I'm arriving in Barcelona on June 3, so the prices are likely to be rising rather than decreasing from May 15!
Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, K1,
Thanks for your help. I think that maybe Sulu stayed in that albergue in Llanca, but I would much prefer not to have to hop into a cab to start my camino.

I'm arriving in Barcelona on June 3, so the prices are likely to be rising rather than decreasing from May 15!
Buen camino, Laurie
You're right about prices. In Llanca Albergue it rises from 17€ to 23€ (which was the price without discount for 15th May), also the cheapest two bed room rises from 44€ to 56€.

Those less walked Caminos are really hard on a wallet. Out of shear curiosity I was looking at Caminho Portugues from Cabo Sao Vicente few days ago and did some calculations - huh, too expensive unless I'd decided to walk with someone else and share the expenses or taking a tent. But for now I'll just stick to Levante. I guess we will be on Camino at the same time (as last year). If all goes well I fly to Valencia on 6th June :)

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So, K1, do you have a tentative arrival date into Santiago? Maybe we will coincide.
This is roughly my plan:
- start from Valencia: 08th June
- Toledo: 27th June
- Ourense: 22nd July (+ 1 day?)
- Santiago: 28th July (+ 2 days?)
- Fisterra: 2nd August (+ 3 days?)
I will give myself approx.2 months, so that I return from SdC around 5/6th August.

Hi, K1, looks like we won't cross paths this year.... maybe 2016 on the Lana!

I've gotten some more information, which I've posted on another thread, and it looks like I can start in Llanca or Port de la Selva, so I will do some searching of the places there as well. Thanks for your help, as always. Laurie

Hi, K1, looks like we won't cross paths this year.... maybe 2016 on the Lana!

I've gotten some more information, which I've posted on another thread, and it looks like I can start in Llanca or Port de la Selva, so I will do some searching of the places there as well. Thanks for your help, as always. Laurie
Sorry for that :) And I saw this other thread you mentioned. I've read sulu's blog and the trail looks really nice to me. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
But there are many more Caminos to walk and years to come. La Lana in 2016? Huh, I don't know. Maybe too close or similar to Levante.
- Perhaps it will be time for my North Combo (Vasco Interior + CF + Salvador + Primitivo..... Muxia/Fisterra)?
- Or extended Portugues (start in Faro or Cabo Sao Vicente)?
- Or Via Augusta + de la Plata (to Astorga and CF (possible Invierno again)), before it become too crowded?
- but also Camino Torres looks very tempting...

Sooo many Caminos and so little funds. If I would have no financial worries it would be ideal for me to walk twice a year for 2 months. Ahhh, that would be LIFE :cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
10kms away is Llanca where I found this:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/alb...f5a90d75823fe41cea1X1;highlight_room=19115606
17€ for bed in a dormitory of 14 or
44€ in two bed room (both with breakfast).

Just a followup, since I´m now trying to find places to stay for the 9 nights before I arrive in Montserrat, which is where LT and I will join up, and also where the albergues begin! There are a couple of albergues between Llanca and Montserrat, but they are youth hostels, and I don´t wish to sound ungrateful or snobby, but I have decided that in my 65th year I am going to stop sleeping in youth hostels (with an exception for the Camino de Invierno). :)

I have been surprised to find some pretty cheap options on booking.com. My first night in Llanca, in fact, in the Hostal Llanca, is 24€, which is the price the albergue juvenil was quoting for a room with a bunch of bunks.

There will be a couple of expensive nights. Vic about 45€, and then maybe L'Estany in the monastery, but the others that I´m coming up with are all in the 20s.

So -- many thanks, Kinky for suggesting Llanca. I have found a gps track from Llanca to the monastery at San Pere de Rodas, which is the "not to be missed" first attraction on this Camino. Since I´m walking a "false camino," I suppose there´s no reason to start in the "false starting place" of Port de la Selva; might as well start in Llanca if I´m going to be a fraud anyway. ;)

Just a followup, since I´m now trying to find places to stay for the 9 nights before I arrive in Montserrat, which is where LT and I will join up, and also where the albergues begin! There are a couple of albergues between Llanca and Montserrat, but they are youth hostels, and I don´t wish to sound ungrateful or snobby, but I have decided that in my 65th year I am going to stop sleeping in youth hostels (with an exception for the Camino de Invierno). :)

I have been surprised to find some pretty cheap options on booking.com. My first night in Llanca, in fact, in the Hostal Llanca, is 24€, which is the price the albergue juvenil was quoting for a room with a bunch of bunks.

There will be a couple of expensive nights. Vic about 45€, and then maybe L'Estany in the monastery, but the others that I´m coming up with are all in the 20s.

So -- many thanks, Kinky for suggesting Llanca. I have found a gps track from Llanca to the monastery at San Pere de Rodas, which is the "not to be missed" first attraction on this Camino. Since I´m walking a "false camino," I suppose there´s no reason to start in the "false starting place" of Port de la Selva; might as well start in Llanca if I´m going to be a fraud anyway. ;)
Yes, I know, Invierno is you beloved Camino :D

Wow, I'm really surprised at those prices. And that's in the high season! Great for you, Laurie!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hiya, currently on the Camino and I’m in need of some advice on how to split up the days from Huesca until I reach the Camino Aragonés by Santa Cilia. I have a rough plan but the next few days...
Day 1 - To Montserrat we go ...... 4 yrs since the last Camino, older, less brain cells, easily confused usually followed by a touch of frustration and sometimes panic :) . I left Coventry, UK at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back