• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Still finding full albergues in mid-September

Morning Glory

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
(2013)
We started in SJPdP on 12 Sept and felt lucky to get 2 beds at Albergue de Peregrinos. The next night, Orrison was fully booked, we made reservations back in July, so that was good. Roncevalles was jammed last night. Today felt like a military march to Zubiri and all was completo by 3pm. The strategy to go off the Brierly stage by stopping short in Zubiri did not work for many tired Peregrinos today, but we snagged bed space at Albergue El palo de avellano due to having picked up the pace. I wonder what the next few days will bring?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm...a good thing so many people are walking still at this time of year? Or a bad thing so many people are still walking at this time of year?

I'm sorry if the "rush" is hindering your own Camino. I like your idea of getting off the "stages" and walking as you like as much as possible. Would it be better for the mindset to start off a bit earlier (you might already)? Perhaps in the next few days, the big "bulge" of marchers will spread out a bit more. There will be many who will stop at Logoño which might help a little as well.

Whatever may come, you're on the Camino! Wahoo!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is interesting, because I am at the other end of the Camino and have yet to have trouble finding beds... 2 nights ago in Ventes de Naron, I was the only person in my albergue and had the whole dorm to myself!

Blessings,

Ruth

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi. I arrive in SJPP on Sept 27th and begin my Camino on Sept 28th. I'm from NY. Just wanted to say hi. Jim
Hi Jim,
Sarah from UK, 1 day behind you! Planning to get off and stay off Brierley stages as much as necessary. Going with the flow and letting the Camino provide. One of my mottos in life is 'Que sera, sera'.
Hope we both have a Buen Camino!
Sarah

I am now very concerned about finding a place to spend the night in Roncesvalles. I won't get in by bus from Pamplona until 17:10 on September 23. I very much would like to stay at Albergue de Peregrinos (the web site shows that it is quite large). But if it is full then = Yikes! In checking the Internet the only rooms available in a hostal are at the Hostal Rural Haizea in Espinal which is 3-5 miles from Roncesvalles. Should I take my chances on Alberque de Peregrinos or book a room? Any advise would be appreciated.

Buen Camino

My wife has told me that the section from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona is busy.

She left Saint Jean September 12 and stopped in Orison (had prebooked a room) and then continued to Burgette the next day.
Found a place in Zurbiri last night and I believe she has found a place in Pamplona for this evening. (At least she was able to email me but from where who knows?)

Told me last night that she must get up early and leave before sunrise (she is not a morning person) since everybody is doing the same rushing I gather to the next albergue. So there is definitely a pilgrim rush hour(s)

Hopefully things get better after Pamplona but I really dont think will slow down until after Logrono or maybe even Burgos. By then it will be late September and the crowds should be thinning out a bit

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife has told me that the section from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona is busy.

She left Saint Jean September 12 and stopped in Orison (had prebooked a room) and then continued to Burgette the next day.
Found a place in Zurbiri last night and I believe she has found a place in Pamplona for this evening. (At least she was able to email me but from where who knows?)

Told me last night that she must get up early and leave before sunrise (she is not a morning person) since everybody is doing the same rushing I gather to the next albergue. So there is definitely a pilgrim rush hour(s)

Hopefully things get better after Pamplona but I really dont think will slow down until after Logrono or maybe even Burgos. By then it will be late September and the crowds should be thinning out a bit
Thanks - I have a week before I leave - maybe things will slow down a bit.

I am now very concerned about finding a place to spend the night in Roncesvalles. I won't get in by bus from Pamplona until 17:10 on September 23. I very much would like to stay at Albergue de Peregrinos (the web site shows that it is quite large). But if it is full then = Yikes! In checking the Internet the only rooms available in a hostal are at the Hostal Rural Haizea in Espinal which is 3-5 miles from Roncesvalles. Should I take my chances on Alberque de Peregrinos or book a room? Any advise would be appreciated.

Buen Camino
For what it is worth, book a place at a private pension in Burgette - it is only 2-3 km west, easy walking, and you be there by 18:00, enough time to head out to a dinner that night. The next morning you will have an 45 min head start over the others leaving Roncesvalles

For what it is worth, book a place at a private pension in Burgette - it is only 2-3 km west, easy walking, and you be there by 18:00, enough time to head out to a dinner that night. The next morning you will have an 45 min head start over the others leaving Roncesvalles
Good idea - thanks again

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just finished talking to my wife via Facetime.

She made it to Pamplona and found a bed at the German run albergue along the river just before you enter the old city.

Hmm...a good thing so many people are walking still at this time of year? Or a bad thing so many people are still walking at this time of year?

I'm sorry if the "rush" is hindering your own Camino. I like your idea of getting off the "stages" and walking as you like as much as possible. Would it be better for the mindset to start off a bit earlier (you might already)? Perhaps in the next few days, the big "bulge" of marchers will spread out a bit more. There will be many who will stop at Logoño which might help a little as well.

Whatever may come, you're on the Camino! Wahoo!
We left at first light. We're not keen to start out in the dark. Guess the crowd is a mixed blessing. Thank you for your thoughts. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But your found beds, right?;)
Yes, after scurrying about like a couple of ants, but all is well. This is a very nice albergue and the pilgrim's dinner was delicious. Staff is also very nice. Highly recommend.
BTW, they opened up the old building at Roncevalles last night to handle the overflow.

Hola Jirit! Thanks for the info. We are seeing people heading off in the dark. We also know people are making advanced reservations from comments from fellow happy campers at this albergue. I know there has been discussion on the forum about whether to do that or let the Camino provide. It was not our intention to her caught up in the rush to arrive, but in the absence of a reservation, it seems dicey not to. Hopefully, things will open up after Pamplona, our next projected stop. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree. And Burgette is postcard pretty. Buen Camino!
Hi Morning Glory, In Roncesvalles did you stay at the Albergue de Peregrinos/Real Colegiata de Roncesvalles? As you may have seen in my above posts that I am concerned about getting a bed when I arrive in Roncesvalles at 17:10 in the evening on Sept 23 (via bus from Pamplona). Your response would be greatly appreciated.
Buen Camino!

There is a second facility in Roncesvalles that they open as necessary. It nearly doubles the capacity. There are about 240 albergue beds in Pamplona. Paderborn is the first albergue where Jirit's wife stopped, so there were another 215 after it. There is always a perception of crowds, but you never hear of anyone sleeping outdoors, particularly in late September. The traffic jam will move on to Puente la Reina and its 281 albergue beds -- Albergue de los Padres Reparadores may fill, but there will be many more beds available. Pilgrims who get ahead of, or behind, the bubble will find beds easily. Those insisting on guidebook stops will continue to fight the perception of no beds, but still will finds beds. It is a crazy paradox between the perception and the reality.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks so much for your post falcon - I feel so much better! I guess I am getting the last minute jitters.

Santiago, just 25 minutes walk after Roncesvalles is the village of Burguete, no albergues but a couple of small hotels and pensions. Another option for you to consider and for others leaving from St Jean, I left St Jean at 7.30 am earlier this year, covered Route Napoleon on a wet, cold day including a 1 hour warming up stop at Orrisson and was in my small hotel in Burguete at 3.30 pm.

there are a couple of really big pilgrim waves going on just now. We are in the second and biggest wave of September just now, and this section of the camino is totally "completo"... every bed in Moratinos is full, with people on mattresses on the floor as well. (there are SIX pilgrims in my house). I am told there is another wave three days back. Five hundred pilgrims!
Even though the summer season is over and the town is emptying out, resident-wise, Moratinos' bi-weekly guitar concert this evening had 40 people in the pews!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks supersullivan! jirit had also mentioned Burguete as an option. You all have helped to calm my nerves.

Casa Waslala in Belorado confirmed 2 weeks ago to me [ whilst staying there] that his September bookings are getting near the complete stage. That was in August so beware.

Most people we have accompanied from Le Puy who continue go via Valcarlos and stay in Burgette.
It is a lovely way .
I would say 80% of the feet problems we see people with after a few days to the end stem from St. J to Roncesvalles.

Thanks supersullivan! jirit had also mentioned Burguete as an option. You all have helped to calm my nerves.
In September 2011, we called from Madrid upon arrival and booked a room at Casa Rural Piedra Arena in Burgete. We wanted to attend the Pilgrims Mass in Roncesvalles and after mass, walked down to Burgete through the woods in the semi darkness. In fact it was totally dark when we arrived in Burgete. It was abolutely beautiful. In fact one of my most favourite memories of all my Caminos. This B&B b cost us €35 double with bath. We always sleep in a hostel or hotel on our first night to hopefully recuperate from our long flight and 8 hour jet lag.
Just to mention, that the Albergue in Roncesvalles was already full and taking people to the overflow old Albergue. It was 5 th Sept. However, in 2009 on 15 th September, ( ie same week as now), when we arrived with the bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles, we heard that the Albergue was already full. (At that time there was only the old 100 bed Albergue). As Rebekkah mentioned, pilgrims come in waves. Move yourself out of the wave and things should be much quieter. Buen Camino. Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife who is in Pamplona, plans to make Monday a short day and let the "crowd of pilgrims" get ahead of her. She may either spend an extra night there or simply walk a short distance on Monday.

Ideally and hopefully this means the current wave of pilgrims will pass her by and she will have a 2-3 day reprieve from the rush to find a bed each night before the next wave of pilgrims crashes upon her.

This is the way of today's modern camino - either you slow down and let the wave of pilgrims pass you by ( until the next wave catches up to you) or walk further and faster than the current wave to keep ahead ( until you catch up to the next wave) or simply join the mob - I mean - join the party.

I liked Obanos. An easy day's walk from Pamplona and let the crowd move on to Puente de la Reina. ( she could even "pop over" to Eunate in the afternoon and return to sleep in Obanos). Anne

Hi Anne

I think stopping in Obanos is in the plans too, so she told me. But tomorrow is another day...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This may sound like a silly question but . . . how do you know where the wave is and when it is coming? Is there a particular day that people start that is busier than others? Is it the group of people starting from St Jean or other major cities along the way? I will be starting in Pamplona later this week and walk at a slower pace but I have the opportunity to choose the day I start out. My first few days to a week will be at a much slower pace and not connected to the main stages as best I can. Do you have any thoughts?

This may sound like a silly question but . . . how do you know where the wave is and when it is coming? Is there a particular day that people start that is busier than others? Is it the group of people starting from St Jean or other major cities along the way? I will be starting in Pamplona later this week and walk at a slower pace but I have the opportunity to choose the day I start out. My first few days to a week will be at a much slower pace and not connected to the main stages as best I can. Do you have any thoughts?

It is kinda of like swimming in the ocean.

You really do not notice the wave until it suddenly sneaks up and crashes upon you. After the second wave, you start to figure out the timing and plan accordingly. You really do not know when they start, or even where they came from, but you certainly know when they have arrived. The bigger waves tend have to have a bigger impact obviously. Some people never figure the waves out and spend their time bobby up and down in the ocean.

Also the waves are always bigger near the shoreline and less so in the deeper water.

Waves of pilgrims are pretty much the same thing.

Waves of pilgrims are always bigger nearer the bigger cities and urban centres and less so, in the rural countryside like the Meseta.

After the first week, you should have figured it out.

Whatever you do, try not swimming against the current. Go with the flow instead.

Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Morning Glory, In Roncesvalles did you stay at the Albergue de Peregrinos/Real Colegiata de Roncesvalles? As you may have seen in my above posts that I am concerned about getting a bed when I arrive in Roncesvalles at 17:10 in the evening on Sept 23 (via bus from Pamplona). Your response would be greatly appreciated.
Buen Camino!
Hola Santiago_67, yes we did. I don't think you should be too concerned as there is overflow space if needed. Burn Camino!

Hola Morning Glory: Thanks for your reply - it has helped to calm my nerves. Buen Camino!

I remember even in October last year there were full albergues in a couple of places. I recall getting the last place in Rabanal (which if I remember right has 3 or 4 albergues?). The private albergue I stayed in at Portomarin was full by about 3pm too. That said, these were both on very rainy days. I saw more than a few "completo" signs during some days as well in places I passed through.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are the big departure days from all the major starting points. That means the SJPdP bubble hits Pamplona about Monday night; hits Puente la Reina on Tuesday, Estella on Wednesday, etc. The last 100km from Sarria gets jammed with mobs departing on Saturday (Friday of a holiday weekend). Friday and Saturday are the big arrival days in Santiago.

Plan accordingly.:)

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are the big departure days from all the major starting points. That means the SJPdP bubble hits Pamplona about Monday night; hits Puente la Reina on Tuesday, Estella on Wednesday, etc. The last 100km from Sarria gets jammed with mobs departing on Saturday (Friday of a holiday weekend). Friday and Saturday are the big arrival days in Santiago.

Thank you, that is very helpful. I believe there is a National Holiday on Oct 12th and All Saints Day is on the 1st of November so I will need to plan accordingly for those also. Is that a time when the camino or the big cities will be very busy? I had hoped by coming in late Sept I would avoid this bed race talk. :eek:

The positive is that I walk slow, can take my time and have the ability to stay at places other than the main alberques.

It is kinda of like swimming in the ocean.

You really do not notice the wave until it suddenly sneaks up and crashes upon you. After the second wave, you start to figure out the timing and plan accordingly. You really do not know when they start, or even where they came from, but you certainly know when they have arrived. The bigger waves tend have to have a bigger impact obviously. Some people never figure the waves out and spend their time bobby up and down in the ocean.

Also the waves are always bigger near the shoreline and less so in the deeper water.

Waves of pilgrims are pretty much the same thing.

Waves of pilgrims are always bigger nearer the bigger cities and urban centres and less so, in the rural countryside like the Meseta.

After the first week, you should have figured it out.

Whatever you do, try not swimming against the current. Go with the flow instead.

Buen camino

Ahh, it is the ocean that I want to see! However I will try my best not to be carried along with the waves to get there!:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I was planning to post this additional information too, but falcon269 beat me to it.

I will add from own experience is that I agree that many people start their journey on the weekend, ( the end of the week, work is finished, retirement party over, etc) hence the reason flights cost more than Tuesday through to Thursday...

Hence the first wave of pilgrims, especially those from far away places like Canada, the USA, Australia, etc, arrive and set foot in Europe, late Saturday, and promptly start walking the next day, granted a bit jet lagged and tired. European have the home town advantage and are usually there late Friday night, bushy eyed and ready to roll. So the entire mob of pilgrims - first the Europeans and then those non European English speaking types climb and descend upon Roncesvalles over the weekend.

I am sure Roncesvalles in one busy crowded place during the weekend. By Monday as falcon269 has suggested Pamplona is over come with "what the heck, is it always this busy?" pilgrims. The wave continues to roll down the Spanish countryside until some get wise and decide to hang back a day or two, and let the wave pass them by. Other start putting in 40 km days and try to outrun the wave.

One approach to take is simply hang out in Saint Jean or Pamplona for the weekend ( or Paris ) and watch that first wave head off and up the big hill. Don't forget to say Buen camino as they pass you by. By Monday sleepy Roncesvalles is back to its normal self - sleepy. And the folks in Pamplona will waiting patiently for your arrival and you will be one of those lucky few writing in saying " I walked the entire route to Santiago and never had any problems getting a bed"

Just a thought to consider...

The busyness sucks imho. We are at Boadilla today and it is rammed. Lucky we gave in and booked. This particular aspect i did not "sign up" for.

I am glad I am doing it this year if it is going to get worse in future years!

Buen Camino

The busyness sucks imho. We are at Boadilla today and it is rammed. Lucky we gave in and booked. This particular aspect i did not "sign up" for.

I am glad I am doing it this year if it is going to get worse in future years!

Buen Camino
Hola Christer1! IMHO, too. Wasn't quite expecting it this time of year, but live and learn, I guess. We gave in and booked in Pamplona for 2 nights to let the wave roll by, plus a rest day seemed entirely reasonable after the busyness of the past few days. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are several ways to avoid the crush of the Frances during peak times. You can start in Irun on the Vasco and intersect the Frances at Santa Domingo de Calzada or Burgos. Start on the Madrid and intersect the Frances in Sahagan. These two starting points will give you more solitary starts but also allow you to experience the Frances. You can walk the Norte, Primitivo, VdlP or one of several other routes. These routes are way-marked, more sparsely traveled and could use some love.

Ultreya,
Joe

There are several ways to avoid the crush of the Frances during peak times. You can start in Irun on the Vasco and intersect the Frances at Santa Domingo de Calzada or Burgos. Start on the Madrid and intersect the Frances in Sahagan. These two starting points will give you more solitary starts but also allow you to experience the Frances. You can walk the Norte, Primitivo, VdlP or one of several other routes. These routes are way-marked, more sparsely traveled and could use some love.

Ultreya,
Joe
That's why we start the Primitivo this Thursday. Last year we did the Argones, starting in Jaca. Anne

Unfortunately Joe and Anna many believe they must start in St. J or Ronscallaves thanks to the guide books.
We did , realised our mistake and have since returned to the different paths.

If only they realised by going via Valcarlos [ the original way from France ] many problems with crowds would be void.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
These alternative routes sound wonderful!

Since this is my first camino and the first time ever attempting such a feat, I thought that starting with a route that had more infrastructure would be my best bet as I will be traveling solo and a bit unsure of how far I really am able to walk each day. Not starting in St Jean was a hard decision based on all that I read here and most of the guide books. (I plan to start in Pamplona) In reading the forum during my planning stages, I got the impression that the places to stay on the other routes were a bit more scarce and more challenging. I guess I considered the Camino Frances as the "starter's" walk. I did however heed the advice to walk in the fall rather than the summer.:)

It is good to know that the other routes are more secluded and a joy to walk. I do know that this walk will be a wonderful experience no matter how it plays out! Thank you all for your wonderful input.

Buen Camino,
Chris

In late august i was very surprised indeed when Paul [ Casa Wasala] in Belorado showed me his Sept. bookings .
He said the previous month was down because of the rain.
Maybe the europeans / locals have returned after the floods.

If someone is considering a more quit camino: I just finished the camino madrid yesterday, am in Sahagun right now. Will continue on the frances, salvador and the primitivo to sdc. It is a really beautiful camino with very good infrastructure. It took us 11 days, and we met...1 peregrino on a bike. There were a few albergues with 20-30 beds just for us alone.
It might be a big adventure for anyone to be on such a solitude journey, but there is the knowledge that this will change after sahagun.
Whatever you choose, buen camino!

If someone is considering a more quit camino: I just finished the camino madrid yesterday, am in Sahagun right now. Will continue on the frances, salvador and the primitivo to sdc. It is a really beautiful camino with very gof
Whatever you choose, buen camino!

Thomas, I really enjoyed your photos of the Madrid route, thanks for sharing them with us.

Question: with so many albeurges full do they ever allow pilgrims to sleep on the floor on their own pads? I am planning my first Camino May 2014 and don't have the backpack room for tenting equipment. Trying not to get discouraged as a huge part of doing this Camino is to get off the treadmill of life and not be so stressed. Last thing I want is to get away from it all in a place where its necessary to bed rush. Any thoughts?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't pay too much attention to the panicked stories. Even in the dire posts, everyone seems to be finding a bed! I have heard the same stories for over a dozen caminos, yet have found it is rare to not find a bed, and I have encountered the "completo" sign quite a few times. Just because a place fills it does not mean that there are no beds! Just no beds there at that time. When pilgrims are reporting that everything is full, I am not sure that they are aware of all the possibilities. For example, Portomarin has five or six albergues, some of which are probably filling. However, there are two albergues just before Portomarin which never fill. Anyone in a bubble would be wise to stop in one of them instead of following the herd to Portomarin. Follow a strategy that minimizes the problem for you, if you find you are in a bubble.

Fire regulations have pretty much stopped the floor sleeping, though it still happens when necessary. I don't think you will have any problems in May. It is before the really busy times in July and August.

Don't pay too much attention to the panicked stories. Even in the dire posts, everyone seems to be finding a bed! I have heard the same stories for over a dozen caminos, yet have found it is rare to not find a bed, and I have encountered the "completo" sign quite a few times. Just because a place fills it does not mean that there are no beds! Just no beds there at that time. When pilgrims are reporting that everything is full, I am not sure that they are aware of all the possibilities. For example, Portomarin has five or six albergues, some of which are probably filling. However, there are two albergues just before Portomarin which never fill. Anyone in a bubble would be wise to stop in one of them instead of following the herd to Portomarin. Follow a strategy that minimizes the problem for you, if you find you are in a bubble.

Fire regulations have pretty much stopped the floor sleeping, though it still happens when necessary. I don't think you will have any problems in May. It is before the really busy times in July and August.

Thank you so much. I am so grateful for this forum and the ability to learn from experience pilgrims!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Not sure that anyone out here now is panicky, just reporting current conditions. For general info, the monastery albergue run by the Padres Reparadores in Puente la Reina is full tonight. There are other options in town but I do not have firsthand info on their availability.

Not sure that anyone out here now is panicky, just reporting current conditions. For general info, the monastery albergue run by the Padres Reparadores in Puente la Reina is full tonight. There are other options in town but I do not have firsthand info on their availability.
Sounds like you are just one day behind my wife, who indicated that the route was busy

My wife is reporting that the section through to and including Logrono is busy due to the wine festival this weekend. Basically Logrono was booked out completely, so she was forced to stay in Viana.

Actually as per our brief conversation via FaceTime, she has told me it has been non stop busy since Roncesvalles expect for odd place or occasion.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My wife is reporting that the section through to and including Logrono is busy due to the wine festival this weekend. Basically Logrono was booked out completely, so she was forced to stay in Viana.

Actually as per our brief conversation via FaceTime, she has told me it has been non stop busy since Roncesvalles expect for odd place or occasion.
Yes it has been busy. We have yet to stay in an albergue that has has an empty bed. After a rest stop in a hostal in Pamplona, hoping the wave would wash over us, we seemed to have picked up a second wave resulting in full albergues where we have stayed in Puenta la Reina, Estella, and Los Arcos. We heard that due to the wine festival in Logronos, hotels, pensions and hostels were full. Looking at the number of albergue beds available in Logrono, we thought there would likely be a squeeze. So we caught a bus to skip over Logrono. It still is busy this side of Logrono, but this wave seems smaller. In chatting with fellow peregrinos, there is a recognition that September has become more busy in the past few years, but one peregrina from Europe thought this September was especially busy due to people having postponed their Caminos until the fall because of the cool and wet spring (those who wished to avoid the crowds and heat of summer).

My wife would be in Navarrete Sunday night if she was able to find a bed

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In Naverette tonight and finding that reservations are a wise thing. Over the last 12 days our experience is that most albergues are nearly at their limit by mid to late afternoon.

In Naverette tonight and finding that reservations are a wise thing. Over the last 12 days our experience is that most albergues are nearly at their limit by mid to late afternoon.
Hi Greg

If you see a woman from BC Canada carrying a green deuter pack tomorrow say hi from your other half

Thanks

Burgette is reasonably sized and only 2km down the road.. Also, the lady in the bar/cafe in Roncesvalles ferried some people on to Espinal a few days back..... I think you will find options

Burgette is reasonably sized and only 2km down the road.. Also, the lady in the bar/cafe in Roncesvalles ferried some people on to Espinal a few days back..... I think you will find options

Burgette is a lovely place to stay.
No 27 , main street in town , private rooms , wonderful people.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

A wise man would start early, 6.30-7.00 am , walk 6 1/2 hours with coffee breaks and stop..
This puts the time around 1-2pm and 18km-20km should have been covered.
Have a shower, have lunch in the village and relax .
Simple but effective way to avoid the rush.

A wise man would start early, 6.30-7.00 am , walk 6 1/2 hours with coffee breaks and stop..
This puts the time around 1-2pm and 18km-20km should have been covered.
Have a shower, have lunch in the village and relax .
Simple but effective way to avoid the rush.
Seems to be working well, as that's what we've been doing since skipping over Longrono. It beats the heat (it has been somewhat warm in the afternoon) and allows for a less hectic walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Seems to be working well, as that's what we've been doing since skipping over Longrono. It beats the heat (it has been somewhat warm in the afternoon) and allows for a less hectic walk.

My wife did the same thing given that Logrono had a wine festival this past weekend.

She has decided to call ahead and book a bed for herself especially in the more popular places

My wife did the same thing given that Logrono had a wine festival this past weekend.

She has decided to call ahead and book a bed for herself especially in the more popular places
Last night, we met a peregrina who said the albergues were full so she and about 20 other peregrino(a)s slept outside Saturday night in Longrono. She said there were a lot of drunk people wandering the streets. Not surprised by that.

Last night, we met a peregrina who said the albergues were full so she and about 20 other peregrino(a)s slept outside Saturday night in Longrono. She said there were a lot of drunk people wandering the streets. Not surprised by that.

We have always avoided Longrono on weekends [ friday evening to sunday evening]
Its very popular for the spanish and the tapas evenings

In fact we avoid all the bigger towns on weekends

The food is too good in Logrono to stay in an albergue! I have stayed in a one-star hostal the last three times, and headed out for dinner at 2100 when the real restaurants open. Even at that late hour, the Spanish were just showing up as I was finishing!

During the wine festival, even hotels may be full. The tourist office can help, if you can find it. The one in the park in the middle of town is now closed. The new one is on the circle on the Camino as it leaves the city center (keeping in mind that leaving the city takes a couple of hours!!).

We started in SJPdP on 12 Sept and felt lucky to get 2 beds at Albergue de Peregrinos. The next night, Orrison was fully booked, we made reservations back in July, so that was good. Roncevalles was jammed last night. Today felt like a military march to Zubiri and all was completo by 3pm. The strategy to go off the Brierly stage by stopping short in Zubiri did not work for many tired Peregrinos today, but we snagged bed space at Albergue El palo de avellano due to having picked up the pace. I wonder what the next few days will bring?
We also started our walk on the 12 sept. Very busy in SJPP But got in Albergue Le Chemin du etoile the night before not the best to start with but did the job. Stayed at Roncevalles Thursday and there was plenty of beds haven't heard anyone turned away ! The best chance you have is to start the walks no later then 7 am and all should be ok regarding beds. The problem begins around 3 pm we did have a problem in Villa Mayor Monjardin and was lucky to get a place as many had to carry on to Los Arcos or take a Taxi. After a hard days walk it can be demoralising to be turned away but this was the only time we experienced this. We ended our walk in Burgos 23 sept has work commitments get in the way but we will return for sure next year to complete the walk. One of the best times of my life to walk with so many great people from all over the world. Missing the walk and the amazing people all with a purpose to achieve. Buen Camino

The food is too good in Logrono to stay in an albergue! I have stayed in a one-star hostal the last three times, and headed out for dinner at 2100 when the real restaurants open. Even at that late hour, the Spanish were just showing up as I was finishing!

During the wine festival, even hotels may be full. The tourist office can help, if you can find it. The one in the park in the middle of town is now closed. The new one is on the circle on the Camino as it leaves the city center (keeping in mind that leaving the city takes a couple of hours!!).

Very well said Falcon,
The food is so good in Logrono you should not stay in a albergue.
2 glasses of wine and 12 prawns for 3 euro's in Laurel was my best lunch.......and i doubled up.before a lovely afternoon nap.

What is the one star pension?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back