• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Still starting my Camino

Kjell family

Time of past OR future Camino
Pontferrada to Santiago ( April 2018), Porto to Santiago (April, 2020)
Like so many others I, with a heavy heart, cancelled my flight for April 6 a few days ago, though I had resigned myself earlier to ending my " kid free" Camino time. For a week now our family has been in isolation, as is required of every one. Our only outings are our daily walks which we have found increasing in length and time, especially on the days above zero. And so I have decided to walk my Camino. I will track our daily hikes, and mark it on my route. I will take a picture to add to my "travel" log. I will come home and make a cafe leche to warm up. Perhaps I will reach Santiago by the time the isolation order end.Any others interested in walking with me? I'll keep you updated on my progress.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like so many others I, with a heavy heart, cancelled my flight for April 6 a few days ago, though I had resigned myself earlier to ending my " kid free" Camino time. For a week now our family has been in isolation, as is required of every one. Our only outings are our daily walks which we have found increasing in length and time, especially on the days above zero. And so I have decided to walk my Camino. I will track our daily hikes, and mark it on my route. I will take a picture to add to my "travel" log. I will come home and make a cafe leche to warm up. Perhaps I will reach Santiago by the time the isolation order end.Any others interested in walking with me? I'll keep you updated on my progress.
Awww, so cute!😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think thiis is a great idea and others have mentioned this concept before. I am going to start doing this as well. however, I ill skip rain/snow days! When others are not even allowed to take a stroll in a park, we are still fortunate to have the opportunity to move about as long as we maintain distance!

Last edited:
Great idea. I've been walking 5-10 miles a day just to work out agitation and stress. 🤪 I think I'll check Gronze or one of the other guides and start tracking where I am along the Francés. Good memories! It will be a slow Camino, but my time on the Camino has always been slow. 😄

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's great! In 2014 I was packed and ready to leave on my first camino but was diagnosed with lymphoma so had surgery and months of chemo - so during chemo I walked - and throughout those long summer months I logged 560 miles on my "Chemo Camino". In 2015 I walked the French route, 2016 the Portuguese, 2017 the Way of St. Olav in Norway, and 2018 the Primitivo. The "Chemo Camino" was a great start to many caminos, and I'm still walking and planning the Camino dos Faros for next year. So, do your Camino wherever you are now and plan for future adventures. Keep walking!

Believe it or nor I am doing the same. Hoping to reach Santiago in 10 weeks.
Good luck to us both and of course other members who are yearning to be a part of that beautiful Camino family of walkers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
.....I'm still walking and planning the Camino dos Faros for next year. So, do your Camino wherever you are now and plan for future adventures. Keep walking!
Off tipos but i feel important for you....
I was in Muxia this past December when I first learned about the Faros trek. I got a map and headed south out of Muxia for a day hike to see the coast. Was amazingly beautiful BUT I didn’t make it very far because of a nasty spines plant know as toxo. It went through my hiking pants like needles and inflamed my skin somewhat. Not saying the trip isn’t doable, but do some research about leg (this shit grows well over 6ft tall btw) protection. I took a chunk of the plant back to the Bela Muxia and tried my gators as protection and it was quite effective but that only protects to the knees. There are options to backtrack and walk roads but it’ll increase the time for stages. Buen Camino.

And so I have decided to walk my Camino. I will track our daily hikes, and mark it on my route. I will take a picture to add to my "travel" log. I will come home and make a cafe leche to warm up. Perhaps I will reach Santiago by the time the isolation order end.

This sounds like "Phil's Camino."

I live in Mexico but was in my German hometown visiting my elderly parents on my way to Spain, when Corona hit. So, for the time being, I'll stay here.
As solitary walks are among the few things still considered safe, I go out for a nice walk most days. The other day my walk took me along the river Main where I walked a 10 km stretch of the local "Jakobsweg". This is the marker I passed:

Jakobsweg.jpg

I'd love to be able to walk all 2743 km one day!

Thank you for the wonderful idea! I live on one of the Great Lakes in U.S. and I am able to walk daily. Today, as I walked the beach, I found myself mourning the loss of my April Camino Frances despite the fact that the sun was shining and the waves were splashing on the shore. I will walk my Camino in Michigan this spring and hope that this fall brings a world free of Covid-19 where we are able to move about freely. Perhaps this will remind all of us that we need to take better care of each other! Been Camino!

Check this website: https://www.walking4fun.com/
You log your steps and it tracks your progress on a number of different walks, including Camino Frances.

Such a great idea. Walking is so good for stress relief as well as the benefits of fresh air to clear the head. Think I will do the same. And try to learn spanish online as well !

And so I have decided to walk my Camino. I will track our daily hikes, and mark it on my route. I will take a picture to add to my "travel" log.
A while back, I had the idea of doing a program with the minimum security prison up the street. A slide lecture, a copy of my book and the prisoners would walk X miles per day (around the enclosed space/whatever the warden would approve.) Give a talk once a week sharing what I saw and learned on Camino. The prisoners would all get a copy of the Brierley Guide book and mark their X miles per day off on the maps. Actually going on Camino might become a constructive goal for some of the guys when they were released from prison. Maybe do up mock compostelas at the end - then I thought it was just a bit too far fetched. Never followed through with the fantasy idea.
Congrats --Great minds think alike.
Now it looks like we are all "in prison" At least our physical bodies.

Last edited:
Such a great idea. Walking is so good for stress relief as well as the benefits of fresh air to clear the head. Think I will do the same. And try to learn spanish online as well !
Keep practicing that Spanish, for sure. Thanks for the reminder😄

What a great idea! My husband and I were going to walk the Norte (our 4th after Frances, Portuguese and Engles) in May. We’ve been walking the trails and parks around Boston as the Coronavirus limita out activity. We’ll start tracking our miles on the Camino Norte!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A while back, I had the idea of doing a program with the minimum security prison up the street. A slide lecture, a copy of my book and the prisoners would walk X miles per day (around the enclosed space/whatever the warden would approve.) Give a talk once a week sharing what I saw and learned on Camino. The prisoners would all get a copy of the Brierley Guide book and mark their X miles per day off on the maps. Maybe do up mock compostelas at the end - then I thought it was just a bit too far fetched. Never followed through with the fantasy idea.

don't hesitate to do this.,!
those in prison would LOVE this! So,cool,to take their mind to another very positive place and task. DO IT, don't dream it.

Great idea

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I live in Mexico but was in my German hometown visiting my elderly parents on my way to Spain, when Corona hit. So, for the time being, I'll stay here.
As solitary walks are among the few things still considered safe, I go out for a nice walk most days. The other day my walk took me along the river Main where I walked a 10 km stretch of the local "Jakobsweg". This is the marker I passed:

View attachment 71713

Great initiative. ❤ I too have been walking more and although without my pack, I feel privileged to still be able to do at this oh so challenging time in our world.

In France our walks have gradually been reduced to a distance of max 1 km from home, carrying a “self declaration” (or some such name) marking the reason for our walk, dated and signed, together with an identity card. And the coast where I live has been closed - barriers everywhere indicating the “interdiction” after those who have a holiday home here came “fleeing” from their “résidences principales” to be in more pleasant surroundings. They behaved as if they were on holiday with groups picnicking along the coast. Result: worsened restrictions.

So one km it is. Empty roads, empty paths. However lovely quiet, beautiful sunshine and the birds are singing. With no cars about you can hear them everywhere.....

No Camino in April as scheduled with my whole family for my 80 birthday the day after tomorrow, however we will have a joint zoom session in the evening. Have to remember to put a bottle of Champagne in the fridge.....

@Yoyo , kia ora (greetings, good health)

I do hope you will do this but, please, please, allow more than one day! 😇 😇

A friend (more than 60 years-old) from my country was undertaking post-graduate study at the University of Leuven , Belgium in 2010. Just along from her accommodation she saw two things set into the pavement. One was a brass scallop shell. Above it was a stone engraved with "2400 km" (or similar) and an arrow pointing southwest. A few months later she started her camino from Saint-Jean and arrived at Compostela 28 days later.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong at home)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Yoyo , kia ora (greetings, good health)

A friend (more than 60 years-old) from my country was undertaking post-graduate study at the University of Leuven , Belgium in 2010. Just along from her accommodation she saw two things set into the pavement. One was a brass scallop shell. Above it was a stone engraved with "2400 km" (or similar) and an arrow pointing southwest. A few months later she started her camino from Saint-Jean and arrived at Compostela 28 days later.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong at home)
Lovely memory.

Great idea. I've been walking 5-10 miles a day just to work out agitation and stress. 🤪 I think I'll check Gronze or one of the other guides and start tracking where I am along the Francés. Good memories! It will be a slow Camino, but my time on the Camino has always been slow. 😄

Bala, I too am doing a slow ...very slow camino. Starting out with 5km a day but skipping wet days. I hope to follow some of the recreational trails along the various rivers and state parks in the Leigh valley! Hope you have a good journey and be safe!

Bala, I too am doing a slow ...very slow camino. Starting out with 5km a day but skipping wet days. I hope to follow some of the recreational trails along the various rivers and state parks in the Leigh valley! Hope you have a good journey and be safe!
Buen Camino! 😊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I most certainly will, @AlwynWellington ! 😂

I started my virtual Camino Frances 5 days ago. Not walking quite so far per day as I intend once allowed to start for real. Tracking on www.Walking4fun.com

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have
reached Lis Arcos

This sounds like "Phil's Camino."
Phil's Camino is an absolutely wonderful little movie (and Phil is a lovely, inspiring man). I highly recommend you order a copy, if you haven't seen it.

I also am loving using www.walking4fun.com. It syncs with your fitness tracker (or you can just input your daily miles/kms) and shows you how far you would have made it each day. You can choose your trail from dozens that are available, including the Frances and the Portuguese. It also shows you lovely pics of the walk for that day. I "started" in SJPdP 9 days ago and have just "arrived" in Puente La Reina! I look forward to reliving my real Camino each day.

Phil's Camino is an absolutely wonderful little movie (and Phil is a lovely, inspiring man). I highly recommend you order a copy, if you haven't seen it.

I also am loving using www.walking4fun.com. It syncs with your fitness tracker (or you can just input your daily miles/kms) and shows you how far you would have made it each day. You can choose your trail from dozens that are available, including the Frances and the Portuguese. It also shows you lovely pics of the walk for that day. I "started" in SJPdP 9 days ago and have just "arrived" in Puente La Reina! I look forward to reliving my real Camino each day.

Just leaving Pamplona!!! on www.walking4fun.com, What a great site and thanks to Sue 127 for it. When you are limited to 1.5kms from your house and about 1 to 2 hours a day ie about 5/10kms per day, should reach Santiago before end 2020, but it really gives one the incentive and "joy" of doing the same streets everyday near one's home!!!

Hi Hadji Tom,
I take no credit for the site - apart from passing in on - several others have also mentioned it. Perhaps we'll meet up 'en route' as I am nearing Puenta la Reina - should get there with today's steps. Maybe we (and others who are interested) could start a Walking with Friends group on walking4 fun. IT could be just like a real camino, sometimes on the same day, others moving ahead one day and falling back another. I love the fact that there are photos for each section of the walk - I know it won't detract from the real thing!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a great idea which I am going to unashamedly pinch! I will take miles of the French every day and plot it. I am due to walk the last 160k from O'Cebreiro in July - I pray it will happen 😀

A while back, I had the idea of doing a program with the minimum security prison up the street. A slide lecture, a copy of my book and the prisoners would walk X miles per day (around the enclosed space/whatever the warden would approve.) Give a talk once a week sharing what I saw and learned on Camino. The prisoners would all get a copy of the Brierley Guide book and mark their X miles per day off on the maps. Actually going on Camino might become a constructive goal for some of the guys when they were released from prison. Maybe do up mock compostelas at the end - then I thought it was just a bit too far fetched. Never followed through with the fantasy idea.
Now it looks like we are all "in prison" At least our physical bodies.
This would be amazing for those incarcerated. My nephew who is in that situation would love it! Of course they’re all on lock down as we are and no visitors are allowed but perhaps when they are allowed back in you may seriously consider it. They desperately need something to get them out of their head and also gives them hope for the future to maybe one day really do a camino. I totally encourage you!!

What a fantastic idea and so Camino fitting!

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a great idea. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted. I didn't have a Camino planned for this spring - but now maybe I will do one. What a nice way to motivate for and enrich my daily walks. I especially like the post-walk cafe leche idea!

Thank you all for inspiration, so typical of peregrinos . I was due to fly out of Sydney, Australia, on 1st April to meet up in Germany with 3 fantastic people I met on my first Camino in Sept-Oct 2017. I was then to make my way to SJJP to walk the Camino again, but in the Spring this time. Not to be 😭. However, I'm blessed to be isolated in a beautiful place away from home for another week here. Every step anywhere I try to transform into the Camino. It was easy as I walked through some vineyards yesterday....... until I saw kangaroos!! 😃
Will try recording my distances & may check out that walking4fun website. Love the beautiful surprises life always offers! Keep sharing!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200329-081801_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200329-081801_Gallery.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 4
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lisa
Great idea, but didn't quite make it to "Alto Del Perdon" today walking in the streets around my house!
Hope I can catch up in the next days!!!

Group CF2020 - open

Last edited:
Thanks all for the good ideas, inspiration and humour. I'll pass on the snore track for now :)
My progress has been very slow this week. In the past week our walking area had been reduced to our local neighborhoods. Combine that with continuing to work full time+ from home with a couple of teens in the house and, well, umm you get the idea. Maybe I'll set a new record for slowest walk? On the bright side my spouse can join me on this walk and my shoes won't wear out so fast :)

Lisa
Great idea, but didn't quite make it to "Alto Del Perdon" today walking in the streets around my house!
Hope I can catch up in the next days!!!

Group CF2020 - open
Just remember you can't wild camp in Spain . . . :eek:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a fantastic idea. I walk between 10 and 15 kilometres every day, rain or shine. I am also a bit of an eccentric and keep a record of the distance I walk every day. I was intending to walk the Portuguese starting in June. What I am going to do is get the guidebook out and starting from Lisbon I will choose a town to walk to every day and walk that distance. I will keep my progress marked on a big map I have. I will look up the towns on Google Earth and do a virtual tour of each one. When I get to do the actual Camino I hope it will seem familiar to me. I am able to walk every day as I live on the edge of a small town in New Zealand with country roads all around and am able to walk in isolation (which is how I like it). I am now off to walk to Sacavem and I will be home for dinner.
Kia Kaha (Be strong)

That's great! In 2014 I was packed and ready to leave on my first camino but was diagnosed with lymphoma so had surgery and months of chemo - so during chemo I walked - and throughout those long summer months I logged 560 miles on my "Chemo Camino". In 2015 I walked the French route, 2016 the Portuguese, 2017 the Way of St. Olav in Norway, and 2018 the Primitivo. The "Chemo Camino" was a great start to many caminos, and I'm still walking and planning the Camino dos Faros for next year. So, do your Camino wherever you are now and plan for future adventures. Keep walking!
This is so encouraging, thank you. I'm glad you got to walk after your unscheduled interruption in 2014.
On a lesser scale, my husband and I both gave up our jobs so we could spend 3 months walking the camino from France and are now reacting to the likelihood of several months with neither employment nor camino adventure. Although our outer journey has been paused, the inner journey is underway.

Last edited:
This is so encouraging, thank you. I'm glad you got to walk after your unscheduled interruption in 2014.
On a lesser scale, my husband and I both gave up our jobs so we could spend 3 months walking the camino from France and are now reacting to the likelihood of several months with neither employment nor camino adventure. Although our outer journey has been paused, the inner journey is underway.
Frustration is affecting many of us, but we must let Spain recover. I’d moved my Camino from October to May/June as I’d got so excited with the planning. It can easily go back to October, but I fear it may be longer. I’ll continue to plod along with www.walking4fun in anticipation of the real thing. I hope you get to walk yours soon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Trying to grasp that 2020 maybe out for me, when will travel return to normal? Hope I am very wrong for all the pelegrinos and the people whose livelihood depends on the Camino. So thanks the virtual camino in quarantine - the perfect alternative for a 🐢!

Thanks to those of you who directed me to www.walking4fun! I would have begun my Camino in St. Jean Pied de Port March, 27; instead I have been walking in Michigan. I was able to log my miles using my FitBit information and was excited to see that I would have walked to LosArcos by now. The pictures are wonderful and keep me focused on life after the coronavirus.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back