• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

StJPdP to Finisterre in 30 Days - Sample Itinerary?

FrenchWay

Time of past OR future Camino
First timer
I worked out that I have 30 days to do St Jean PdP to Finisterre. I will walk the Valcarlos Route to Roncesvalles on Day 1, but after that I have no idea what pace I need to keep to get to Finisterre 29 days later. Any sample itineraries or free apps that you recommend? No physical maps or books please.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I worked out that I have 30 days to do St Jean PdP to Finisterre. I will walk the Valcarlos Route to Roncesvalles on Day 1, but after that I have no idea what pace I need to keep to get to Finisterre 29 days later. Any sample itineraries or free apps that you recommend? No physical maps or books please.
Forwalk.org has a 26 day plan for SJPDP to Santiago.

And 3 days from Santiago to Finisterre

Forwalk.org has a 26 day plan for SJPDP to Santiago.

And 3 days from Santiago to Finisterre

i would also suggest that if you feel strong on a day , keep going to next village or Albergue. This way after a few days you have gained enough km in reserve that if you had an injury or bad day you can rest . Some stages are easier than others on paper they both say 34 km or whatever and I do not mean flat or hilly just mentally some days you will be full of momentum and the day flys . That Camino schedule list is very achiievable

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It take around 4 to 5 days to find your walking rhythm, adjust to the Camino routine and I'd aim for Logrono by day 6 or 7. After this increase your distance to what feels comfortable but don't forget to include rest days in the major cities. These rest days in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Santiago, Finisterre (usually in spa for me) allow you to walk further as required and after Meseta 30 to 40 km days feel equivalent to a 25km. A couple of days before reaching Santiago its possible to walk 60 or 70 km day as a final push. Rest in Santiago and allow 3 days to walk to the end of the earth with extra day to rest and return to Santiago by bus. It's achievable in 30 days but don't be disappointed if the Santiago to Finisterre leg requires a return bus journey. I don't follow itineraries, simply follow the waymarkers and listen to my body. You'll find your own rhythm and I wouldn't worry to much about daily targets or milestones. 30 days is ample enough time to reach Santiago with one rest day every week. I'd recommend walking through the night at early stages as it'll offer a different type of experience and cover greater distances. I usually set off at 3 or 4am but be mindful of other weary pilgrims and pack bag night before. Another option is to walk throughout the full day arriving at prebooked hotel in time for rest and go 🤠

Last edited:
Godesalco is a good tool - do the math, divide kms with days to get to Santiago/Fisterra/Muxia and then use Godesalco to see how you could divide it up. Beware of long stretches with no food or water etc though, and I agree that it is a good idea to ease yourself in gently rather than risk injuries in the first week which could slow down or even stop your camino completely.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ambitous, but possible.

Divide about +/- 900km by 30 = 30km/day.

A look into gronze.com or using the planificador at godesalco.com will give you a hint about where to stop for the night.

Buen camino

I like this app. I tried to create a 25 day schedule to give you time to walk to Fisterra but you can see long miles some days. Just an idea
Day 1: Mon, 3/9/20 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port -- Orreaga/Roncesvalles (16.0 miles)
Day 2: Tue, 3/10/20 Orreaga/Roncesvalles -- Larrasoaña (16.8 miles)
Day 3: Wed, 3/11/20 Larrasoaña -- Uterga (19.7 miles)
Day 4: Thu, 3/12/20 Uterga -- Villamayor de Monjardín (24.1 miles)
Day 5: Fri, 3/13/20 Villamayor de Monjardín -- Viana (18.7 miles)
Day 6: Sat, 3/14/20 Viana -- Nájera (24.3 miles)
Day 7: Sun, 3/15/20 Nájera -- Belorado (27.2 miles)
Day 8: Mon, 3/16/20 Belorado -- Agés (17.1 miles)
Day 9: Tue, 3/17/20 Agés -- Burgos (14.3 miles)
Day 10: Wed, 3/18/20 Burgos -- Hontanas (19.3 miles)
Day 11: Thu, 3/19/20 Hontanas -- Boadilla del Camino (17.7 miles)
Day 12: Fri, 3/20/20 Boadilla del Camino -- Carrión de los Condes (15.3 miles)
Day 13: Sat, 3/21/20 Carrión de los Condes -- Moratinos (18.7 miles)
Day 14: Sun, 3/22/20 Moratinos -- El Burgo Ranero (17.1 miles)
Day 15: Mon, 3/23/20 El Burgo Ranero -- León (23.2 miles)
Day 16: Tue, 3/24/20 León -- San Martín del Camino (16.1 miles)
Day 17: Wed, 3/25/20 San Martín del Camino -- Astorga (15.0 miles)
Day 18: Thu, 3/26/20 Astorga -- Foncebadón (16.2 miles)
Day 19: Fri, 3/27/20 Foncebadón -- Ponferrada (17.1 miles)
Day 20: Sat, 3/28/20 Ponferrada -- Villafranca del Bierzo (15.1 miles)
Day 21: Sun, 3/29/20 Villafranca del Bierzo -- La Laguna de Castilla (16.2 miles)
Day 22: Mon, 3/30/20 La Laguna de Castilla -- Triacastela (14.8 miles)
Day 23: Tue, 3/31/20 Triacastela -- Barbadelo (14.3 miles)
Day 24: Wed, 4/1/20 Barbadelo -- Ventas de Narón (19.5 miles)
Day 25: Thu, 4/2/20 Ventas de Narón -- Melide (16.6 miles)
Day 26: Fri, 4/3/20 Melide -- O Pedrouzo (20.7 miles)
Day 27: Sat, 4/4/20 O Pedrouzo -- Santiago de Compostela (12.5 miles)

----------------------

Buen Camino!

Brought to you by the Camino Pilgrim App

Google Play Store:

Camino Pilgrim App Website:

Blog Website:
I forgot to mention that many people including myself have taken the bus from Carrion to Leon which cuts out 2 days. It's not that I don't enjoy the meseta but when I'm bringing people along I like to focus and spend extra days in great towns like Burgos and Leon.

Last edited:
I would recommend checking out Gronze.com. This will give you maps with elevations, distances between towns. Lists of distances from one stage to the next. If you are doing 900K in 30 days you will be going much further on average per day. If you open Gronze in Google Chrome it will translate the webpage into English. It also gives you the reviews of albergues from Pilgrims. You can also download the Buen Camino app and/or Wise Pilgrim app for free. They both also have lists of albergues and a GPS. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also get used to converting miles to kilometres (if you don't already) as that's what all guidebooks, signs and pilgrims will be using, and you don't want to end up with long catch-up days because you mixed them up ...

I still think that you should make it easy on yourself and start in Pamplona. Easier to get to, and provides some "cushion" in case of injury. or illness.
I know that the Francè doesn't start in St. Jean but there's something about starting somewhere in France crossing the border into Spain that makes the journey more apt and unique. Afterall its called the CDF and someday I'd love to start in Le Puy but would never consider starting in Ronce, Pamplona, Leon or Sarria. The Pyrenees provides the physical-body, Meseta-mind and Santiago-soul. The Santiago to Finisterre is the Spirit and to Muxia for me is the Magic 🤠

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know that the Francè doesn't start in St. Jean but there's something about starting somewhere in France crossing the border into Spain that makes the journey more apt and unique. Afterall its called the CDF and someday I'd love to start in Le Puy but would never consider starting in Ronce, Pamplona, Leon or Sarria. The Pyrenees provides the physical-body, Meseta-mind and Santiago-soul. The Santiago to Finisterre is the Spirit and to Muxia for me is the Magic 🤠
I understand that, but 30 days from SJPDP to Finisterre is very ambitious, and leaves no extra time to allow for illness, injury or serendipity.

I understand that, but 30 days from SJPDP to Finisterre is very ambitious, and leaves no extra time to allow for illness, injury or serendipity.
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. The key is preperation meeting opportunuty equals success. If Op doesn't make it to Finisterre as mentioned there's no shame in jumping return bus as he'll have completed the 799 km trek from St.Jean. The bit from Santiago to Finisterre is another Camino and it's not going anywhere. A reason to return 🤠

I'm planning to go from SJPDP to Santiago in 27 days, here's the tentative plan for that. Add 3 days to Finisterre, and something similar might work for you. It comes out to about 18.5 miles a day average. The days with * have lots of altitude gain.

1 SJPDP - Roncesvalles - 25km ***
2 Larrasoana - 27km
3 Uterga - 31km **
4 Estella / Ayegui - 29km
5 Sansol / Torres del Rio - 29km **
6 Navarrete - 33km
7 Ciruena - 32km
8 Belorado - 29km
9 Ages - 27km **
10 Tardajos - 34km
11 Castrojeriz - 29km
12 Boadilla del Camino - 20km
13 Carrion de los Condes - 24km
14 Terradillos de los Templarios - 27km
15 Calzada del Coto - 17km
16 Mansilla de las mulas - 32km
17 Valverde de la Virgen - 30km
18 Santibanez - 27km
19 Rabanal del Camino - 31km
20 Ponferrada - 33km **
21 Trabadelo - 33km
22 Fronfria - 30km ***
23 Sarria - 28km
24 Gonzar - 30km
25 Melide 85km - 22km
26 O Pedrouzo - 33km
27 Santiago - 20km

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

It's foolhardy to post such an open-ended question (without mentioning what time of year, how fit you are, what type of accommodation you will stay in and so on) and then request no books - well for a start you should get a guidebook such as Brierley and look at how much ascent and descent there is involved in your proposed daily stages

And an over-ambitious walking plan that is set in stone is a recipe for future problems

Just reading all the replies has left me breathless :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Any must see/experience places along the way that I should not rush past in order to gain KMS?

I am sorry as I am just as much of a newbie as you are @FrenchWay. My Camino is not for another year. I've been hanging out on this Forum for the last year, however, learning as much as I can.
IMHO - 30 days SJPdP --> SdC is a bit of an ambitious desire and as many pointed out - you are NOT leaving yourself any wiggle room for (God Forbid) any emergencies and\or setbacks.
I've read posts talking about people doing 50km\day but those are far and few in-between (posts and persons allegedly doing it). 60-70 KM\day???? at 3-4 km\hr??? Does not leave you time to eat and stop for a bathroom break and only 4-5 hours to sleep. Almost asking for trouble... (and never mind "must see/experience places along the way that you should not rush past")

Brierley pegs it at 33 days and I guess he is knowledgeable enough. I guess I would not push for anything less than that (especially on a 1st try)

Just FYI - and nothing more (I am nobody to 'follow' and definitely not some kind of authority on these things), I want to do the same trek and I am giving myself
  • 37 days SJPdP --> SdC breaking it into 34 days walk (day 1 - Orrison, day 2 - Roncesvalles to start with) and 3 days to do whatever with incl. playing tourist in some cities or perhaps 'just rest'.
  • 2 days in SdC (the day I get into SdC and another full day there - same thing: play tourist and\or rest...I guess its can be counted as 1.5 be it that this 'day 1' is the 'day 37' of the hike)
  • 4 days SdC --> Finisterre
Even with this I feel that there might be moments when I feel 'rushed' (and nobody is going to rush me but myself) so hopefully I will be disciplined enough to pull myself back
Slower and steadier.... and get things done!

Whatever you decide - Good Luck and Buen Camino 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♂️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🤸‍♂️

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Good afternoon. I have just returned from Spain sad but.... it is what it is.... anyways.... I developed tendinitis on both of my foot.... why??? Don't know.... but could not touch the floor. My question is : why rush the Camino?????? It's so beautiful, relaxing, disconnecting.... meeting new peregrines.... rush does not mix with the Camino, but it's your Camino... enjoy while it lasts..... bcs when you return back to reality..... you will say... why didn't I stay longer?????
Buen Camino !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok, basically I started the Camino then had to fly home as everything closed and I was worried my country would close its borders and I would be trapped on the other side of the world for months with no accommodation or income!

I did the Valcarlos route, stopped in Valcarlos for a latte, then stupidly walked to Roncosvalles with only a small amount of water. Spent most of that remaining part of the journey thirsty and hungry while only able to see 10m in front of me due to severe fog/mist! All this time trying to avoid the speeding trucks and vans that could not see me. Was some snow on the side of the road near the top.

Also, I accidentally went down from the main road to that village with the path through the forrest next to the river. Almost got bitten by that infamous big dog in the village (hint: he waits until you walk past him and then comes at you from behind). Slipped over on the smooth wet rocks (reminded me of the Annapurna Circuit!) and got some splinters from thorn bushes I fell into.

Anyway, my feet were in pain after 26km of walking on the road. I will start the Camino again one day but I will not do 30km per day because it is 7+ hours of walking which is a long time and I don't want to hurt my feet. :)

I almost felt you were describing my first day in the French Camino 2 weeks ago. Almost EXACTLY situations with black dog almost attacking me, Camino forest with branches and trees on my way... trucks speeding downhill, rain... snow... wow! unbelievable!!! I did not have a latte in Valcarlos and that was a BIG MISTAKE! If it wasn't for 2 other peregrines, one from Italy and another from the US had found/joined me, I would probably be still there. They had food and water which I needed to walk another 10-15km to the top of the mountain... I barely made it, but it was physically the hardest day of my life! It's the Camino....

If you're in good shape you won't have any problems, you have to do about 32 km a day. I make my Camino two year ago fro SJPD to Fistere in 24 days without problems, I am 59 years old. But my next Camino will definitely be slower and more experienced, I think I missed a lot of things...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm always interested in the planned duration that people have for their Camino.
And wonder if the plan works out ;)

Certainly there are those who can walk at a brisk pace day after day over what for some, are quite long daily distances.

I'm lucky that I have the time to take it slower.
I also need to, as I'm usually a bit overweight, and have tendon issues.

I was curious about 900 kms in 30 days, and wondered what speed one would need to walk.
Bear in the mind, that for most people, the transitional speed from walking to running is about 7.2 kph.

A couple if times I have walked at 6 kph for an hour or two, to catch up to people.
It felt like I was back in the Army doing a speed march!

I walk at about 4 kph. So 30 kms is a long day for me. And I take plenty of breaks. (probably 2 hours all up)
In the table below I have only allowed 1 hour of breaks all day.

So if I leave at 7 am, I won't arrive till 15:30 (3:30 pm)
For those wanting to stay in Albergues, I'm not certain, but you need to be there by about 2:00 pm? Is that right?

So you would need to maintain 5 kph or better.

Every day, for 30 days, with only 1 hour of breaks during the day.
I guess you could leave earlier... and no rest days....

speed.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very doable if you are determined. I did it and I'm no athlete. It took me 2-3 days to get my rhythm and then I was able to increase my daily distances. Don't get me wrong, it took 10-12 days for the blisters and muscle pain to go away. 🙂 Despite what others might say, I still had time to smell the roses. I was done walking by 3 pm most days. I loved it.

Look at itinerary suggestions, but just plan your distances one day at a time and see what your body can do and what you enjoy. I planned for a rest day along the way but found I didn't need one. I would have been bored. I did take a day in Santiago to sit in the main square to reflect on the journey. That was priceless and I was able to see many pilgrim friends arrive. Everyone walks their own Camino.

One caution, if you go much faster than this pace, in the following days you may not get to revisit with many of the wonderful people that you have met along the trail. Some people may prefer that but I enjoyed re-aquainting with various people every few days somewhere along the trail or in Santiago. For me, that unexpected community was one of the best parts of the Camino. (I realized this on a later trip on Camino Portugues where I walked longer daily distances each day but experienced less community as a result.)

My CF itinerary = 26 days to Santiago + 1 day rest + 3 days to Finisterre (+ 1 extra day to Muxia).

Day 1 St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles – 27 kms
2 Roncesvalles to Larrasoana - 25
3 Larrasoana to Zariquiegui – 28
4 Zariquiegui to Lorca - 28
5 Lorca to Los Arcos - 30
6 Los Arcos to Navarrete - 40
7 Navarrete to Santo Domingo de la Calzada - 38
8 Santo Domingo de la Cal. to Villafranca Montes de Ocazada - 35
9 Villafranca Montes de Oca to Orbaneja Riopico - 32
10 Orbaneja Riopico to Hornillos del Camino - 29
11 Hornillos del Camino to Itero de la Vaga - 31
12 Itero de la Vaga to Carrion de los Condes - 37
13 Carrion de los Condes to Moratinos - 30
14 Moratinos to El Burgo Ranero - 28
15 El Burgo Ranero to Puente de Villarente - 26
16 Puente de Villarente to Valverde de la Virgin - 25
17 Valverde de la Virgin to San Justo de la Vega - 35
18 San Justo de la Vega to Rabanal de Camino - 26
19 Rabanal de Camino to Ponferrada - 33
20 Ponferrada to Trabadello - 34
21 Trabadello to Fonfria - 32
22 Fonfria to Sarria - 32
23 Sarria to Gonzar - 30
24 Gonzar to Melide - 32
25 Melide to Pedrouzo (Arca de Pino) - 34
26 Pedrouzo (Arca de Pino) to Santiago de Compostela - 20
27 REST DAY

28 Santiago de Compostela to A Pena and Piaxe - 28
29 A Pena and Piaxe to Hospital - 31
30 Hospital to Finisterre - 32
31 Finisterre to Muxia – 27

Last edited:

I don’t know how strongly you feel about beginning in SJPP, you didn’t mention age or physical condition so I won’t consider those. Why not consider beginning in Pamplona, it would allow you to take a bit easier pace and give you time to enjoy the Way a bit more. With that said, we each walk our own Camino. Buen Camino.

I started in SJPP and my first night was in Orrison. A very short day. My first week I walked the normal stages. The next week I went a little farther. By the third week I could easily do 35k+ days back to back without a problem. Start out slowly and build yourself up. Don't bring unnecessary weight. Walk later in the day when there aren't so many pilgrims.. the Camino is nice in the afternoon. Make up your mileage in the second half. You can easily do this in 30 days with the right approach. I did SJPP to Santiago in 24 days which gave me an unexpected week to see Barcelona and Madrid.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In my opinion.... the Camino isn't a sprint.... IT IS A BEAUTIFUL MARATHON!! Enjoy, because when you return back to reality...... you want to go right back to the Camino.........people, places, food... everything IS SO AMAZING that you don't want to leave! Why rush when you are in paradise????
be safe... BUEN CAMINO!

You must live in The Tropics ☺😉
This is not a rush but a culture experience.
Dinner at 10pm ??????
We did 35 days in 2008 , aged 60 ,the weather was crap in the first week.
Planes and boats were cancelled from the UK ....P L Reina albergue flooded etc etc
If its for work that your travel duration is a total of 35 days ....change mate

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back