• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stolen Backpack (Torres del Rio)

joramos

Open Minds Learn & Understand
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: (27Sep22 SJPDP-15Nov22 SDC)
Hello, I'm posting on my father's account to alert other Pilgrims to be watchful of their bags when being transported.

This morning as we departed Torres del Rio (Albergue Hostal Rural Pata de Oca) we left my father and brother's backpacks in the designated area for pick up. Less than an hour later, my father's backpack was gone.

We thought/hoped it was taken by another transport company and it would make it's way to our next city, but it has not arrived. We think now that someone left the door open to the bag room accidentally and a passerby took advantage or maybe someone walked in while other Pilgrims departed.

We are still holding out hope that someone might have accidentally grabbed the wrong bag, if so, please reach out! This Camino is my father's dream and he trained for it with that backpack. Otherwise, take caution on leaving bags out of sight- even in albergue's designated transport areas. Stay safe everyone and buen camino!

Attachments

• TETON-Sports-Canyon-2100-Canyoneering-Internal-Frame-Backpack.jpg
    TETON-Sports-Canyon-2100-Canyoneering-Internal-Frame-Backpack.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 7,222
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am so sorry to hear about this. Have you contacted other transport companies to see if they have picked it up by mistake? Or if the right courier has dropped it off at the wrong place? I hope it is just a mix-up and that it didn't go missing on purpose.
Contacted hired transporter Jaco Trans and owner of Hostal La Pata de Oca, much to no avail. Jaco Trans says they have not picked up bags from our Hostal La Pata de Oca. Hostal owner says they'll look around but promises nothing. Interestingly, my shower sandals and assistive walking cane was moved from my bag to my sons bag. Whoever took my bag was not interested in my sandals and assistive cane. My backpack contained all my necessities to do the camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah, that sounds a lot more deliberate. Again I am sorry, and I can only hope it shows up or that whoever took it, for whatever reason, will make an effort to return it to you. It must have a tag with your information on so fingers crossed.
Top tip to anyone reading this, please put your name and contact info into your pack in case of mix-ups, transport fails and also sadly theft. Sometimes they have a good rummage for valuables and then leave the unwanted (for them - invaluable to us!) stuff where it can be found.
I hope you are able to replace most of the items in Logroño so you can carry on. Buen camino 🌻

Hello, I'm posting on my father's account to alert other Pilgrims to be watchful of their bags when being transported.

This morning as we departed Torres del Rio (Albergue Hostal Rural Pata de Oca) we left my father and brother's backpacks in the designated area for pick up. Less than an hour later, my father's backpack was gone.

We thought/hoped it was taken by another transport company and it would make it's way to our next city, but it has not arrived. We think now that someone left the door open to the bag room accidentally and a passerby took advantage or maybe someone walked in while other Pilgrims departed.

We are still holding out hope that someone might have accidentally grabbed the wrong bag, if so, please reach out! This Camino is my father's dream and he trained for it with that backpack. Otherwise, take caution on leaving bags out of sight- even in albergue's designated transport areas. Stay safe everyone and buen camino!
I hope your back pack comes back to you and you are able to continue

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Please let us know how this ends, hopefully it will turn up and it was just a big mistake by somebody somewhere.
A big reminder to everybody that cash, credit cards and Passport should always be kept with you at all times.

Please let us know how this ends, hopefully it will turn up and it was just a big mistake by somebody somewhere.
A big reminder to everybody that cash, credit cards and Passport should always be kept with you at all times.
Reported the theft to the Logrono Local Police upon arrival but informed me they cannot do much since the theft happened in Navarre and Logrono is part of Rioja.They advised me however to report the incident to the National Police in Navarette as well as to the Guardia Sibil on the next working day.

I called the owner of Hostal La Pata de Oca in Torres del Rio again but offered no good and sympathetic explanation. He pointed to the transporters for mistaken pick up and that I should insist from them clear explanations. He also suggested that another pilgrim might have taken the backpack. He was very adamant that his hostal has no responsibility with the theft, assures me that my backpack is nowhere in his property, that there is nothing he can do to help me recover it, and that I should be more vigilant next time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Reported the theft to the Logrono Local Police upon arrival but informed me they cannot do much since the theft happened in Navarre and Logrono is part of Rioja.They advised me however to report the incident to the National Police in Navarette as well as to the Guardia Sibil on the next working day.

I called the owner of Hostal La Pata de Oca in Torres del Rio again but offered no good and sympathetic explanation. He pointed to the transporters for mistaken pick up and that I should insist from them clear explanations. He also suggested that another pilgrim might have taken the backpack. He was very adamant that his hostal has no responsibility with the theft, assures me that my backpack is nowhere in his property, that there is nothing he can do to help me recover it, and that I should be more vigilant next time.
I will be passing thru that area next April. With his attitude, think I will skip his establishment.

Reported it to the Policia Local in Logronio, Rioja but Torres del Rio is under the cognizance of Navarre, hence i was told Logronio police can't do much. Plan to report the incident to Policia Nacional and Guardia Sivil.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

So sorry for your loss. There is a good free Spanish police app to have: Alert cops, where pilgrims can report these thefts.
Love

Reported it to the Policia Local in Logronio, Rioja but Torres del Rio is under the cognizance of Navarre, hence i was told Logronio police can't do much. Plan to report the incident to Policia Nacional and Guardia Sivil.
When I was in Nájera a few days ago, the Guardia Civil was there asking if there had been any thefts or other problems recently. Apparently they have had reports of things being stolen from pilgrims and other travelers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Could u report to Guardia Civil in Navarre then?

Could u report to Guardia Civil in Navarre then?
Yes, but I have continued on with my camino due schedule and accommodation reservations. My family and I are now in Castilla-Leon, way past Navarra. I could make the report to the Guardia Civil in our next stage/stop.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.