• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stolen baggage-Clyde

adascheenloop

Hi Guys,
Clyde phoned me last night with this bad news.
His rucksack with all his belongings have been stolen.
I don't know where he is at this moment,and if he is ok,but please if any one knows about him or his where abouts,let us know??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is awful news! He spent weeks agonizing over backpacks, sleeping bags, ponchos etc.
I did his walking itinerary for him and these were his stages. So tonight he should have been in Estella.
1) Su, 30-8-2009 Pamplona - Uterga
2) Mo, 31-8-2009 Uterga - Cirauqui
3) Tu, 1-9-2009 Cirauqui - Estella
4) We, 2-9-2009 Estella - Los Arcos
5) Th, 3-9-2009 Los Arcos - Viana

That is awful news! He spent weeks agonizing over backpacks, sleeping bags, ponchos etc.
I did his walking itinerary for him and these were his stages. So tonight he should have been in Estella.
1) Su, 30-8-2009 Pamplona - Uterga
2) Mo, 31-8-2009 Uterga - Cirauqui
3) Tu, 1-9-2009 Cirauqui - Estella
4) We, 2-9-2009 Estella - Los Arcos
5) Th, 3-9-2009 Los Arcos - Viana

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What a bummer!
From all accounts, there is very little theft (or none?) of backpacks on the Camino.
Who would want a bag filled with dirty laundry and sweaty sleeping bag?
I guess this is why a wise pilgrim always keeps their money, bank cards, passport and camera with them. I have a plastic pouch that holds these things when I go into the shower, and sleep with them in my sleeping bag.

I have always thought it was wonderful that bags could be left outside cafes when we stopped for a drink. I hope this isn't the start of a trend. It will change the general feeling of the Camino.

What a bummer!
From all accounts, there is very little theft (or none?) of backpacks on the Camino.
Who would want a bag filled with dirty laundry and sweaty sleeping bag?
I guess this is why a wise pilgrim always keeps their money, bank cards, passport and camera with them. I have a plastic pouch that holds these things when I go into the shower, and sleep with them in my sleeping bag.

I have always thought it was wonderful that bags could be left outside cafes when we stopped for a drink. I hope this isn't the start of a trend. It will change the general feeling of the Camino.

This is awful news :(( but who would want heavily used clothes and a sweaty sleeping bag??? :?

[
I have always thought it was wonderful that bags could be left outside cafes when we stopped for a drink. I hope this isn't the start of a trend. It will change the general feeling of the Camino.[/quote]

Would it be safer to bring in your back pack nowadays ?? :?

Buen Camino

chax

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh, what a sad news from the Camino!
I'm sorry for him. This can ruins somebody's pilgrimage!
I was very careful first week on the Camino with my things, because I didn't know what to expect from the pilgrims. But the worries has gone very soon because I met wonderful people and nobody seems to care or keep an eye on other pilgrim's stuff. I left my backpack many times at the albergues' doors and always found it in the same place. But I been always carry the money, the credit cards and my camera with me!
I hope he will manage somehow this unpleasant situation...

Rocknroll said:
Oh, what a sad news from the Camino!
I'm sorry for him. This can ruins somebody's pilgrimage!
I was very careful first week on the Camino with my things, because I didn't know what to expect from the pilgrims. But the worries has gone very soon because I met wonderful people and nobody seems to care or keep an eye on other pilgrim's stuff. I left my backpack many times at the albergues' doors and always found it in the same place. But I been always carry the money, the credit cards and my camera with me!
I hope he will manage somehow this unpleasant situation...

Obvisly is not so rare event. When i was on my Camino, i heard the same story. Somebody stole backpack in albergue. Woman just go to the shower and when she came back, there was no backpack. Thank God, she carry her money,credit card, documents, camera with her.

I was very careful first week on the Camino too. But in the end I left backpack infront of Pilgrims oficce in santiago and went to "cafe con leche". But documents, money and camera always carry with me.

I wonder if thieves think there are valuables inside. Ivar should sell a patch that says (in Spanish): "This backpack contains no valuables: only dirty clothes."

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have just received a text message from Clyde:

Hi, just arrived Logrono. Egypt Air lost my backpack. Started at Pamplona. - clothes on back - pack - food, energy. Universe challenge me.

Seems his pack wasn't stolen - unless it was stolen from Egypt Air.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If that is really what happened to Clyde, then as spursfan remarks, all the more reason to take your pack with you into the cabin. Most of us go through months of planning and the few things we take with us and very precious indeed. I for one, would never risk checking in my pack! Anne

I love the patch idea! You'd need to write it in a couple of languages, but it would be great.

... As if people would keep money and passports and stuff in their bags and leave it unattended somewhere!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK...so who can translate it? Is it most likely locals stealing bags? So wouldn't Spanish be enough?

"This bag does not contain any valuables, only dirty clothes."

Would people mess with it just to mess with it then?

On another thread - same subject - it was reported that the backpack went missing on Egypt Air. It wasn't stolen from an albergue.

STOLEN BAGGAGE CORRECTION--- CLYDE

I have just arrived back in South Africa.
Sorry for the misunderstanding/ communication when I informed friends
that my luggage had been lost by Egypt Air. This was my second French Camino walk and first English Camino walk, and no where did I hear of theft, items misplaced or left behind, yes.
I started in Pamplona on 31st August (a public holiday) with a plastic back pack, cloths on my back a camera and cell phone. Beginning at Cizur Menor through to Burgos then Ferrol to Santiago I thank fellow pilgrims along the way who, (some who had not heard of my predicament) gave me eleven yes eleven different articles. From nail clippers, reading glasses, shirts, a French lady just before Villafrance gave me a beautiful warm jacket; one chap even cut his sleeping bag in half and so on. I could kick my self for not taking their photos. .
Being a spiritual person I believe that that the universe challenged me.
Starting with nothing and along the way was assisted by gifts given by beautiful souls / pigrims.. If you enquire from a numerologist they will tell number 11 is a master number as with the year 2009 (2 + 9 = 11)

Abrazo
Clyde Mitchell South Africa

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back