• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino STOLEN from Foncebadon cafe 10am Sunday Oct 2, 2022

Hobnob

Time of past OR future Camino
1st October 2022
Sad the report that on my second day on the Camino someone stole my GORE-TEX jacket from a table just behind me. Fluorescent yellow cycling jacket marked GORE on the outside in small black letters. Black on the inside.

It's ruined my day and is for my safety early in the morning.

Reward for safe return

Signed, one cross cyclist.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sad the report that on my second day on the Camino someone stole my GORE-TEX jacket from a table just behind me. Fluorescent yellow cycling jacket marked GORE on the outside in small black letters. Black on the inside.

Reward for safe return

Oh no, thats the second report of a stolen jacket in a week

Reward for safe return

So sorry to hear that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Reward for safe return

Perhaps it did not ruin your day. Perhaps the thief did not ruin your day but you consciously let the thief/theft ruin your day. I am not saying to pretend nothing happened, but this theft is nothing more than an instance of revealing human nature, revealing that all of us have bad tendencies, do bad things, take bad actions. And since this is man/womankind's basic nature, then it is, in essence, truth--men/women doing exactly what they are capable of doing; in this case, bad; in other cases, good.
Acknowledge the incident occurred--yes; however, to throw away a good and turn it into a bad day, strictly because of you chose to respond to the theft is not only your responsibility, it was your chose.
The Camino is the larger issue and the larger focus; your pilgrimage has not been stopped; you will still continue; you will still reap the overwhelming benefits. This theft does not deserve credit for ruining your day. It is too miniscule an incident to warrant same.
All the same, I wish the theft had not occurred. And my sympathies to you in this regard.

Perhaps, when you walk a Camino and someone steals an essential and expensive item of your equipment you might think back and regret your post. I think Hobnob is fully entitled to think his/hers day has been ruined, I know I would.
I did think I might describe your post as trite nonsense but decided not to

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Perhaps, when you walk a Camino and someone steals an essential and expensive item of your equipment you might think back and regret your post. I think Hobnob is fully entitled to think his/hers day has been ruined, I know I would.
I did think I might describe your post as trite nonsense but decided not to
Join me in judgemental corner and say what you think - because I think you’re right. Nobody died, nothing caught fire; but clearly it wasn’t a great day for the OP.

Join me in judgemental corner and say what you think - because I think you’re right. Nobody died, nothing caught fire; but clearly it wasn’t a great day for the OP.
I understand that you are upset, it is good to feel that and then let it go. As we know the Camino will show you something to make up for it.. truly! I heard many stories and have experienced it myself.. be safe and Buen Camino 🙏

I understand that you are upset, it is good to feel that and then let it go. As we know the Camino will show you something to make up for it.. truly! I heard many stories and have experienced it myself.. be safe and Buen Camino 🙏
Thanks everyone for their kind words. My original post was for several reasons:
1. Facilitate the return of the jacket. Unlikely, but someone might be found with it (and what else?)
2. Remind everyone that there are dishonest people around. A tiny minority of course.
3. Have a rant! I've delayed my camino by 1/2 day, to replace the jacket tomorrow. And I'm nearly as cross with myself as the person who placed their rucksack next to my jacket, and lifted both. No one there thought such a jacket was taken by mistake.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So if someone steals your stuff, that's OK because it's a Camino? I don't think so, but let's hope it doesn't happen to you.
For the OP, I understand your angst. I hope you got what you needed to replace your jacket, and that it doesn't mean you have to go without other things to pay for it.

Reward for safe return

I feel your pain and frustration, having been burglarized several times. Thank you for the post as it is a great idea, and now numerous people will be on the lookout for your gear. It also serves as a note of caution to pilgrims, a generally trusting community. Just like in The Way, I have heard other pilgrims' stories of backpack theft, phone theft, etc. Personally, I try never to leave my pack or other belongings outside cafes, etc, along the path. In the rare instances I must, I minimize my stay time and check periodically. I will usually leave my shoes outside the albergue dorm, but always put my trekking poles in my pack....even those can get taken by mistake or on purpose. My name and email is on all of my important gear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am so sorry this has happened.I hope you find your jacket. For this reason I have been shopping at the 2 nd hand thrift stores and FB Marketplace for things to bring. I have so far found merino T shirts short and long, rain jacket, pants, cheap walking poles, etc. All of these excellent quality and costing me, pennies to the dollar. I have decided I am not bringing any of my dear to me sentimental, high vaue items. So if things go missing, I will not be upset and will just replace it, along the way. I am still worried someone might take my $220 very comfy trial runners.

When somebody steals something of mine - especially if it were to happen while walking the Camino - my day isn't ruined just because I don't have my item anymore. My whole sense of reality and trust in others would be affected. It never occurred to me that someone might steal something - especially a piece of clothing - when I'm stopped at a cafe on the Camino. When something like this happens, it means you start to worry about safety, about trusting others around you, about the possibility that somebody might do something like this, that ruins your trust in others. The Camino is a break, for many of us, from the bullshit we deal with in our everyday lives at home. There is an over-arching attitude of trust, friendship, comradery, etc. when you're walking the Camino. Without that, you spend a lot of time worrying about what others may do to you. And that, indeed, would ruin my day.

I am still worried someone might take my $220 very comfy trial runners.
Easy solution - never take them off! 😂
Seriously though, people do different things like tie them together or take the insoles out at night to discourage anyone from accidentally taking their shoes.

What a bummer, @Hobnob - I'm sorry you happened to be the target of a rotten apple, and hope something has happened this day to give a silver lining to your enforced pause. It just goes to show that much as it can feel otherwise to we who walk, there are real people along the way - bad as well as good. It's easy to forget that in our camino bubble.

. And I'm nearly as cross with myself as the person who placed their rucksack next to my jacket, and lifted both. No one there thought such a jacket was taken by mistake.
If your assumption is correct, a hiker wearing a fluorescent yellow cycling jacket is going to be pretty conspicuous. You never know…

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am still worried someone might take my $220 very comfy trial runners.

Sometimes one can be lucky. In Viana albergue one morning my daughter’s shoes were missing from the boot locker – despite the identifying orthotics having been left in them. This pair had done great service since leaving Le Puy and were treasured possessions. With shoes, comfort far outweighs money and our main worry was the need to condition a new pair. She had a photo of her shoes which we showed to other walking pilgrims and, most importantly, a group of cyclists. Within a couple of hours we had a call from the cyclists that they had found the shoes on the feet of a pilgrim, and we were soon reunited. Deliberate act or genuine error? We never could decide, but agreed to call it the latter.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Donovan,
Do you remember walking from Alicante with a clearly unfit peregrino who was at the point of collapse most of the time? That was me,glad to say I’m going better this time, I think you went onto the Lana and I followed the Sureste.
Best regards
George

I'm just outside of Leon, and before I left, I put my initials, in Sharpie, on the outside back of my very expensive trail runners. In Orrison, where lots of Pilgrims stop, I met a woman who had the same shoes as me. She loved thatine had my initials. Sadly, they're now so dusty it would be hard to make them out if they were on someone else's feet, but I think I still could. And my poles also have my initials. The things they most insist you leave outside.
I am so sorry this has happened.I hope you find your jacket. For this reason I have been shopping at the 2 nd hand thrift stores and FB Marketplace for things to bring. I have so far found merino T shirts short and long, rain jacket, pants, cheap walking poles, etc. All of these excellent quality and costing me, pennies to the dollar. I have decided I am not bringing any of my dear to me sentimental, high vaue items. So if things go missing, I will not be upset and will just replace it, along the way. I am still worried someone might take my $220 very comfy trial runners.

Reward for safe return

I understand your anger. I also can agree about the need to keep an eye on any especially valuable items.
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Perhaps it did not ruin your day. Perhaps the thief did not ruin your day but you consciously let the thief/theft ruin your day. I am not saying to pretend nothing happened, but this theft is nothing more than an instance of revealing human nature, revealing that all of us have bad tendencies, do bad things, take bad actions. And since this is man/womankind's basic nature, then it is, in essence, truth--men/women doing exactly what they are capable of doing; in this case, bad; in other cases, good.
Acknowledge the incident occurred--yes; however, to throw away a good and turn it into a bad day, strictly because of you chose to respond to the theft is not only your responsibility, it was your chose.
The Camino is the larger issue and the larger focus; your pilgrimage has not been stopped; you will still continue; you will still reap the overwhelming benefits. This theft does not deserve credit for ruining your day. It is too miniscule an incident to warrant same.
All the same, I wish the theft had not occurred. And my sympathies to you in this regard.
She did not ask for your sympathy or your sanctimonious lecture. Goretex costs hundreds of dollars, but the jacket doubles as a piece of safety equipment. It is not his/her fault and anger is a totally appropriate response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just outside of Leon, and before I left, I put my initials, in Sharpie, on the outside back of my very expensive trail runners. In Orrison, where lots of Pilgrims stop, I met a woman who had the same shoes as me. She loved thatine had my initials. Sadly, they're now so dusty it would be hard to make them out if they were on someone else's feet, but I think I still could. And my poles also have my initials. The things they most insist you leave outside.
I have never had a shoe problem! Might be because I wear a size 16. So there you go…just wear my size and no worries. Although someone dressed as a clown might like them…hmmm.

1. Facilitate the return of the jacket. Unlikely, but someone might be found with it (and what else?)
2. Remind everyone that there are dishonest people around. A tiny minority of course.
3. Have a rant! I've delayed my camino by 1/2 day, to replace the jacket tomorrow. And I'm nearly as cross with myself as the person who placed their rucksack next to my jacket, and lifted both. No one there thought such a jacket was taken by mistake.
It’s ok to feel ticked off and I’m sure disappointed. I sympathize with you and understood your post. It’s disappointing to have something happen so early on this adventure. Perhaps if you’re near a larger city soon you can get a cheap reflective jacket at Decathalon. Please stay safe on the roads. I’ve had cars zip past me while having to walk road sections of various Caminos and it’s scary, I’d never attempt it as a “bicigrina”.. 🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If an albergue asks me to leave my shoes (Hokas) in a common area, I bag them and put them inside discreetly. Bit then I walk off season

If the camino provides what you need maybe it takes away what you don't need.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well said. I would add that we wouldn’t minimize the effect that such an event has on us when it occurs. I was stopped on my bicycle and robbed in April this year and I still find myself dealing with it. I have friends who responded with “Well at least ______ didn’t happen”. In other words, “Look on the bright side”, which I didn’t find helpful. The other thing I would add is that it is said that the spiritual life is about subtraction rather than addition. The truth is that between now and the time of our death we will certainly experience our share of losses. Death will be the final letting go. I would suggest that losing my wallet, money, cards, and iphone was traumatic yes, but an opportunity to experience a bit of loss. To begin getting used to it. To really feel it, to accept it, and perhaps eventually to embrace it. Most of the time I reject that path. But when I see it as my Camino , it perhaps will still be felt as loss but also part of my life’s journey. Might as well go with it and let it go with my blessing. Jesus advised that when people do us wrong to shake the dust off our feet and move on so as not to take it with us to our next stop.

Last edited:
My confidence is restored. When I wrote the above reply, I was not criticizing the poster; rather, trying to put things in perspective. I got a negative response and started self-questioning myself and my intentions. Fortunately, the majority of the replies were positive as I believe they saw what my purpose and intent was. If we let one so-called incident ruin our day then what happens when the next so-called incidents occur: a rude and abrasive waiter, a biker rushing past us and almost hitting us, two blisters on the same foot, etc. Life will always, always throw curves to you and attempt to destroy the moment or the day. It behooves us to raise above the occasion. I know this from personal experience as I have been guilty on more than one occasion to over-reacting to an incident when there was absolutely no cause to do so. Fortunately, life continues to kick me in the behind every time I commit such offense. I am 75 years old and still trying to figure life out.

Reward for safe return

So sorry that happened to you! Never fun to have an item you need gone.
Are you sure it was stolen and not grabbed thinking it was a ‘lost item’ I mean it was behind you at a different table..so maybe?
Take care hun- hope your luck gets better

When somebody steals something of mine - especially if it were to happen while walking the Camino - my day isn't ruined just because I don't have my item anymore. My whole sense of reality and trust in others would be affected. It never occurred to me that someone might steal something - especially a piece of clothing - when I'm stopped at a cafe on the Camino. When something like this happens, it means you start to worry about safety, about trusting others around you, about the possibility that somebody might do something like this, that ruins your trust in others. The Camino is a break, for many of us, from the bullshit we deal with in our everyday lives at home. There is an over-arching attitude of trust, friendship, comradery, etc. when you're walking the Camino. Without that, you spend a lot of time worrying about what others may do to you. And that, indeed, would ruin my day.
Your post reminded me of a teaching story - that ends something like - trust is God but tie up your Camel.
I am on VDLP at the moment and while it is not like other busier Caminos I am still ‘tying up my Camel’ as a practice. It’s not that I don’t trust those around me - but it takes only a little effort to keep my belongings secure. And even so somethings can be lost, stolen or misplaced.
I have learnt that s#*t can happen to anyone at any time. ❤️

Your post reminded me of a teaching story - that ends something like - trust is God but tie up your Camel.
I am on VDLP at the moment and while it is not like other busier Caminos I am still ‘tying up my Camel’ as a practice. It’s not that I don’t trust those around me - but it takes only a little effort to keep my belongings secure. And even so somethings can be lost, stolen or misplaced.
I have learnt that s#*t can happen to anyone at any time. ❤️
Rita Flower,
Indeed. See what others have done re protecting valuables in this recent earlier thread. Better safe than sorry.

🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In one way you were lucky (even though you probably don't feel it). Ponferrada has a Decathlon and almost any Camino clothing and items can be sourced at it.

Nevertheless, tie down everything you own, never let anything out of your sight and keep anything important on you in a place that can't be easily picked or gotten by a pickpocket. People like to have romantic notions about Caminos, but both times I walked it was like navigating London tourist crime hotspots when in cities. Be aware of your surroundings and belongings at all times, especially in the cities. If you found yourself in a bad part of a town or city at home, would you leave your jacket, bag or laptop on a table behind you? Same applies on Camino.

Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully the rest of your Camino goes better.

Just sayin' this as another aspect of things.. As a hospitalera, I can't count the number of times a pilgrim has come in tears or rage to report the theft of a valuable item from their backpack or bunk, and had said item suddenly surface somehow. Either in or around his person, his pack, or his possessions, or had it handed to him later on by another pilgrim who heard one was missing.
Back in the day, during the morning cleanup we sometimes found passports, telephones, and other valuables left behind. When the owner could be identified we'd send the items forward with the next passing bike pilgrim, who was usually delighted to serve as a "camino angel" and reunite the pilgrim with his stuff. (there were a lot more bikers in years past.)
The only time this backfired was when a brightly colored jacket was duly delivered... and the flummoxed owner, not aware that he'd left it behind, accused the biker of stealing it!
All ended happily, with lessons learned all around.
I hope you are reunited with your jacket.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.