• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stolen Medication

Judith Upchurch

Time of past OR future Camino
Ponferrada-Santiago (2017)
Camino Frances (2019)
Need some help/advice...we are on the train traveling to SJPDP and one of our backpacks was stolen feom the train. It contained some prescription meds. Any idea how we can get the U.S prescription filled before we start Camino on Sat, the 24th??

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dang - what a rotten start to your Camino. If you have the prescription (if not, email your doctor and get a copy) then it may be possible to buy it in a pharmacy and if not that go to a doctor, show her/him the prescription and get a new one and then get that filled?

Guessing here but it must be doable.

p.s. By the way, I love your attitude .. no moaning, just 'is', and I guess you have already made a list to replace pack and all items in it before you start - good luck out there!!

Don't know if it will help but there is a Decathlon (great quality low price outdoor gear chain - you can completely re-equip easily) very near Biarritz at Anglet - here the link - https://www.decathlon.fr/fr/magasin/magasin-sport-anglet-cote-basque-MS_0070005300053.html

First of all, so very sorry for this terrible disturbance. Second, if you can WhatsApp someone at home to talk to your medical people, see if you can have a prescription sent to your accommodation or the SJPP office.
Third: maybe, just maybe, the backpack is just mistakenly in another place??? I am not much of a believer in St Anthony, but I will give him a couple of euro for you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you have copies of your prescriptions or bottles, go to a pharmacy and see if they will refill off of that. If not, they will tell you how to most quickly they can fill prescriptions and at what cost.

Bad things happen, but I am heartened that you only seek to find solutions. Bon Chemin

That is terrible. I think I would check for the nearest hospital/ER and talk to someone there or maybe call the nearest hospital first. And then they can prescribe something according to this in France witch the substance. Depends on what the medication is I guess, maybe you get the same product.
Just a thought. But a physician at home or in France will know.

I also would talk to st. Anthony first. I am a firm believer in him. I will also talk to him :)))

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Need some help/advice...we are on the train traveling to SJPDP and one of our backpacks was stolen feom the train. It contained some prescription meds. Any idea how we can get the U.S prescription filled before we start Camino on Sat, the 24th??
I knew people who forgot their meds and they went to the Farmacia and the farmacidtr

Farmacéutico (had to look that up)
She called the pilgrims farmacĂ­a and their Rx was filled for them.
Most pharmacists speak English.
Good Luck and think +++++

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are many medications available over the counter in Spain that require a prescription in the states. You might just check at the farmacia first.
¡Buena suerte! :D :cool:

This is very good advice....the first thing you should do do is go to the pharmacy and ask for the medication. Try to look up the generic name if you can....but the pharmacist will be very knowledgeable and can cross check it for you.
Most (non narcotic/ controlled) medications are available without a Rx and at a fraction of the U.S. cost.

There are many medications available over the counter in Spain that require a prescription in the states. You might just check at the farmacia first.
¡Buena suerte! :D :cool:
Yes Linkster is right
This happened to a friend of mine on the Camino and the farmacia just gave them out (blood pressure medication) over the counter

In fact many people that I know in Ireland....where prescribed medication is very expensive......are able to get almost all of their medication over the counter.... this almost pays for their holiday!!!!
Good lick
Annette

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes Linkster is right
This happened to a friend of mine on the Camino and the farmacia just gave them out (blood pressure medication) over the counter

In fact many people that I know in Ireland....where prescribed medication is very expensive......are able to get almost all of their medication over the counter.... this almost pays for their holiday!!!!
Good lick
Annette

That will help me finance my next Camino! Both me and my husband are on blood pressure medication! :D

Good lick
Annette

Lick a pill??? :D :D :D

PS (I know it's a typo :) )

Dang - what a rotten start to your Camino. If you have the prescription (if not, email your doctor and get a copy) then it may be possible to buy it in a pharmacy and if not that go to a doctor, show her/him the prescription and get a new one and then get that filled?

Guessing here but it must be doable.
Need some help/advice...we are on the train traveling to SJPDP and one of our backpacks was stolen feom the train. It contained some prescription meds. Any idea how we can get the

U.S prescription filled before we start Camino on Sat, the 24th??
Lick a pill??? :D :D :D

PS (I know it's a typo :) )

p.s. By the way, I love your attitude .. no moaning, just 'is', and I guess you have already made a list to replace pack and all items in it before you start - good luck out there!!

Don't know if it will help but there is a Decathlon (great quality low price outdoor gear chain - you can completely re-equip easily) very near Biarritz at Anglet - here the link - https://www.decathlon.fr/fr/magasin/magasin-sport-anglet-cote-basque-MS_0070005300053.html
Thank you for the kind words. We were able to get a supply of the medicine from the pharmacy here in SJPDP. Today we are headed out to replace the other items!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is very good advice....the first thing you should do do is go to the pharmacy and ask for the medication. Try to look up the generic name if you can....but the pharmacist will be very knowledgeable and can cross check it for you.
Most (non narcotic/ controlled) medications are available without a Rx and at a fraction of the U.S. cost.
Thank you for your kind advice...that is what we did and we were able to purchase some of the medication here in SJPDP.

Farmacéutico (had to look that up)
She called the pilgrims farmacĂ­a and their Rx was filled for them.
Most pharmacists speak English.
Good Luck and think +++++
Good to know the pharmacists speak English!! My limited Spanish does not include medical terms!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.