• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stomach bug that won't go away, need help.

Adrian Hughes

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2017. Walking my first camino.
Hello,
I started to have a stomach bug in Terradillos on the 26th. I felt really weak the following day and could only walk 10k to Sahagún were I rested that day and the following day. I was given diarrhea relief by a doctor in a small emergency clinic but that only temporarily worked. I did feel better on the 29th and 30th and walked to León.
But again on the evening of the 30th I started to feel bad again. I would like to know of a good hospital/clinic where I can get to the bottom of this problem. Its the worst stomach bug I have had by far.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Can't offer any practical help but so sorry to hear that you are ill. Wishing you the best and saying a little prayer to Santo Iago because he watches over pilgrims.

Ah, this is definitely suffering, Adrian!
I can't answer your clinic question, but as one who has weathered many such infections (in Asia) I have a few suggestions (I'm not a medical professional, and you should see one if you are really concerned):
  1. Do not take imodium (stopper) because it doesn't deal with the problem, but instead just freezes the gut so the runs stop. So whatever is in there can't get out. You want it out. So if that diarrhea relief was imodium, and the symptoms came back this could be the reason. Hydrate very well, lay low, and give it a day to see how you are. It may settle by itself.
  2. Plain yogurt (with live cultures) is something that's worth eating; it populates the gut with 'good' microflora.
  3. If you're using a water bladder, clean it really well with bleach, especially the hosing. If there's anything in there, you may be re-infecting yourself.
Wishing you speedy recovery and buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good old meteonodazole is my go to, for myself and my dogs. Never leave home without it. But since it's an antibiotic farmacias won't sell it to you anymore without a Rx. But walk into any local clinic and ask them for a prescription.

That or Cipro.

Here is the link to the Leon Hospital with 24/7 emergency services http://www.saludcastillayleon.es/CHLeon/es/hospital-leon

The address is

HOSPITAL DE LEÓN

Altos de Nava s/n

24071 - León

Show that to a taxi driver and he will get you there.

All the best and speedy recovery and then Buen Camino, SY

Good old meteonodazole is my go to, for myself and my dogs. Never leave home without it. But since it's an antibiotic farmacias won't sell it to you anymore without a Rx. But walk into any local clinic and ask them for a prescription.

That or Cipro.

Or it could be something different. What works for one person does not work for another one.
We do not know about the possible allergies of the OP.

So Adrian, when in doubt go to the clinic. Spanish doctors and nurses are highly professional.

All the best!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Or it could be something different. What works for one person does not work for another one.
We do not know about the possible allergies of the OP.

So Adrian, when in doubt go to the clinic. Spanish doctors and nurses are higly professional.

All the best!
As I said, he needs an Rx to get an antibiotic and any doctor knows what to use for GI issues. No matter what antibiotics I mention, he cannot get them without seeing a doc. No great rosk there.

Just no need to go to a large university hospital or fancy clinic for that. A gradual approach is the typical way of going at it, sort of the 80-20 rule.

As I said, he needs an Rx to get an antibiotic and any doctor knows what to use for GI issues. No matter what antibiotics I mention, he cannot get them without seeing a doc. No great rosk there.

Just no need to go to a large university hospital or fancy clinic for that. A gradual approach is the typical way of going at it, sort of the 80-20 rule.

But seeing OP is now around Leon that would be the best choice.

My (not insignificant) experience with gastrointestinal bugs is that often they resolve on their own without needing to take antibiotics, eventually.
Taking imodium will delay healing as it keeps the bugs in place.
Taking antibiotics or flagyl is not indicated unless the diarrhea is prolonged, and/or accompanied fever.

Here, antibiotics can be bought OTC. But taking them willy-nilly is playing with fire.
In the case of traveller's diarrhea, not only are antibiotics generally not necessary, but they can lead to more serious consequences. If you take antibiotics without lab tests to see what you're dealing with, 1) they may not have any effect except to depopulate the gut of good bioflora and 2) you run the risk of a C.diff infection as a result, and this is much more serious and complicated than a simple case of 'the runs.'

(We're just spouting opinions, Adrian. So if things don't settle down in a day or so, best get professional help. Oh...and in addition to hydration, make sure you replace whatever electrolytes you might be losing. This makes a big difference in how you feel.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Well to be precise he can get antibiotics in Spain without seeing a doctor. I got antibiotics over the counter from a farmacia earlier this year. And was grateful. The pharmacist was excellent and very careful in her questions of me before dispensing the antibiotic. But unless you know exactly what your problem is and/or exactly what you want this is definitely not the recommended way to deal with an unknown intestinal tract problem.

I have heard so many accounts of stomach bugs in that particular area of Spain (and have suffered myself). I am convinced that there is something wrong with the water in Carrion or just after. When I venture there again, I will drink only bottled water for a few days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have heard so many accounts of stomach bugs in that particular area of Spain (and have suffered myself). I am convinced that there is something wrong with the water in Carrion or just after. When I venture there again, I will drink only bottled water for a few days.

Yup, happened to me too., but didn't last - wishing @Adrian Hughes well.

Both times I have walked Frances people I met along the way got sick in this area!
Take care!

I am not a doctor, but I play one on the Forum...

Causes can be bacteria, viral, dehydration, cancer, flesh eating virus, rupture, and many more. Find that doctor, and get a REAL opinion. I endorse staying hydrated. Best of luck with it. Buen camino. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I can't answer your clinic question, but as one who has weathered many such infections (in Asia) I have a few suggestions (I'm not a medical professional, and you should see one if you are really concerned):
  1. Do not take imodium (stopper) because it doesn't deal with the problem, but instead just freezes the gut so the runs stop. So whatever is in there can't get out. You want it out. So if that diarrhea relief was imodium, and the symptoms came back this could be the reason. Hydrate very well, lay low, and give it a day to see how you are. It may settle by itself.
  2. Plain yogurt (with live cultures) is something that's worth eating; it populates the gut with 'good' microflora.
  3. If you're using a water bladder, clean it really well with bleach, especially the hosing. If there's anything in there, you may be re-infecting yourself.
Excellent, excellent, excellent advice!

If you take antibiotics without lab tests to see what you're dealing with...
Yet doctors hand out prescriptions of antibiotics to anyone going "south" on holiday in case they do get GI trouble. And it's not as if anyone with GI and consults their GP is sent for a culture before given a prescription. Even for my repetitive cellulitis I am given intravenous, or sometimes oral, antibiotics well beforw the culture report comes back, because I need them asap. Culture is nice to have if go to antibiotic has not worked.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well to be precise he can get antibiotics in Spain without seeing a doctor. I got antibiotics over the counter from a farmacia earlier this year.
Well, they are no longer supposed to give you antibiotics, as well as other meds, but sometimes they do. I once needed diurrectics: 1st place told me to go to the clinic fisrt and get a Rx, second place had no problem doing it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is exactly where I also got a sudden and violent stomach upset on my camino in 2014. It 'passed' after a day and I was able to continue on, albeit slowly, after a day's rest. My strength returned in a few days, but funnily I went off both coffee and wine for the rest of the camino - couldn't face them (shame).
I would stick with bottled water until your stomach settles down.

In China last year I had travellers tummy. I did use amodium. We were on a tour so sometimes the expedient solution is what is needed. However it did prolong the "bug". But if you have the luxury of a day or two go with BRAT (banana, rice, spplesauce and toast). No vino tinto or cafe con leche. Lots of bottled water and a bit of rest. Sometimes your system just needs to catch up.
But if TLC doesn't work, see a professional. It could be a virus, bacteria or parasite.
Hopefully by time you read this all has settled down.

I've spent a good part of my life in the third world, have some medical training, and am fairly succeptable to stomach bugs so I'll give my free internet medical advice. Most upsets are bacterial. While you can wait them out, it is often better to nip them in the bud, especially if travelling. A study by the Indian military found that the most effective approach is a one large dose of Ciprofloxacin (500-750mg), at the
first sign of trouble. I find this works far better than the old guidelines of wait three days, then do a one week course of antibiotics. My physician friends agree.

If that does not knock it out, get to a doctor. The medicines for amoeba are not to be taken casually.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I got deathly ill with food poisoning at the albergue in Terradillos, and ended up hospitalized in Leon for four days of IV antibiotics and hydration. The medical staff told me that they routinely receive very sick pilgrims who lodged at that alburgue (i.e. Terradillos) and come down with violent food poisoning, and that they suspect that the Terradillos albergue isn't refrigerating their foods properly.

My very first post to this forum consisted of a warning about a certain restaurant in Carrion where I ate dinner and then came down with a violent form of food poisoning all night long and left me feeling so weak I had to take a bus to Sahagun. Many people responded that I should not publicly decry this restaurant without proof or evidence. OK, but I only posted my warning because another pilgrim told me next morning that the exact same thing had happened to friends of his. I am writing this now in the light of another posting to the forum about an albergue on the Norte and the danger of flouting defamation law in Spain. So, does the gastro problem lie with the restaurant in Carrion or the albergue in Terradillos, OR is it something broader, such as water supply problems in that area?

Totally agree with the suggestion by SY - get yourself to the hospital in Leon. As a general rule if ANY condition persist for more than a couple of days then you need REAL medical advice. Also agree about the comments about imodium, your system needs "to be cleaned out". All the best for a full recovery and a successful completion of your Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

This is excellent advice thank you

This is excellent advice. Imodium only stops temporarily you really want to get the bug out of your system. Sometimes you just need to rest, sometimes you need antibiotics. You don't know what it is until you work with it for a couple of days. Have plain yogurt. Sterilize the hell out of your water bottle or any water thing that you're using. When you do start to eat again take a full ration of your yogurt every day. Not the fruit kind. You may be able to get away with vanilla if they have it. Make sure it's real yogurt , Yogurt with cultures. Happy trails Buen Camino

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A while back I started a thread about bugs that I contracted in this same area on more than one occasion. Indeed , the bug that I picked up in Poblacion de Campo in 2014 so nearly beckoned a premature visit to St. Peter at the pearly gates.
I suspect a contaminated fountain on the Camino although many forum members have just boohooed the idea. It was cetainly real to me and it seems like many others have suffered the same fate - some have even been hospitalized?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,
I started to have a stomach bug in Terradillos on the 26th. I felt really weak the following day and could only walk 10k to Sahagún were I rested that day and the following day. I was given diarrhea relief by a doctor in a small emergency clinic but that only temporarily worked. I did feel better on the 29th and 30th and walked to León.
But again on the evening of the 30th I started to feel bad again. I would like to know of a good hospital/clinic where I can get to the bottom of this problem. Its the worst stomach bug I have had by far.

Horrible thing to happen, Adrian, especially when far from home. How are you now? Did you find a clinic that could help? Hope you're starting to feel better by now.

I've spent a good part of my life in the third world, have some medical training, and am fairly succeptable to stomach bugs so I'll give my free internet medical advice. Most upsets are bacterial. While you can wait them out, it is often better to nip them in the bud, especially if travelling. A study by the Indian military found that the most effective approach is a one large dose of Ciprofloxacin (500-750mg), at the
first sign of trouble. I find this works far better than the old guidelines of wait three days, then do a one week course of antibiotics. My physician friends agree.

If that does not knock it out, get to a doctor. The medicines for amoeba are not to be taken casually.

My background is in clinical research and I've also spent a lot of time in the third world. Also spent a lot of time with GI problems while traveling, which is not for the meek! I can't diagnose what is causing your lingering problem, of course, and I hope you get treatment and/or it resolves quickly.

But just to support what newfydog says above, I have also started to carry a couple doses of Ciprofloxacin with me when I travel. At the first sign of trouble, I take a dose. Several recent studies have shown that this handles a large percentage of travelers' GI problems. I don't take Cipro prophylactically, but only when I start to have symptoms.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Take a look on Google at the side effects of Ciprofloxacin, and you may conclude that the cure is worse than the original complaint!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.