• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stop in Santiago or continue to Finisterre/Muxia?

maruska89

Mary C.
Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to SdC-Sept 2017
Camino Frances-Apr/May 2019
I'm planning on walking the Frances mid April through May and I'm now thinking of continuing on to Finisterre/Muxia having 5 to 6 days left over after reaching Santiago. I was going to sightsee elsewhere, but I'm now thinking that since I'm already committing most of my time to the Camino I might as well finish to the end. Can anyone else who has done this journey comment on their experience. Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm planning on walking the Frances mid April through May and I'm now thinking of continuing on to Finisterre/Muxia having 5 to 6 days left over after reaching Santiago. I was going to sightsee elsewhere, but I'm now thinking that since I'm already committing most of my time to the Camino I might as well finish to the end. Can anyone else who has done this journey comment on their experience. Thanks!

HI, Maruska89,
If I hadn’t just spent 30 minutes obsessing about the Camino Vasco Interior, I would have more time to anwwer your questions. But there are so many opinions on this, I would start by scrolling through the Finisterre/Muxia subforum. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia.20/

I have walked Santiago to Finisterre toMuxia, Santiago to Finisterre (no Muxia), Santiago to Muxia (no Finisterre) and Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre, and the last option is my favorite. I do a four day walk from Santiago to Vilaserio (GREAT albergue in Casa Vella) to Dumbría (not to be missed albergue and the nicest people in town that you can imagine) to Muxía to Finisterre. You can break it up into smaller chunks, but it is a great idea whichever option you take. Somehow things feel more complete, and if I have the time when I get to Santiago, I will always cut a Santiago visit short if it means I can get out to Muxía.

I have done the walk to Finisterre, and it was glorious. You're in the company of a smaller group of familiar pilgrims, the pace is relaxed, the services are good, and that first view overlooking Cee and the ocean is not to be missed. After the previous five days from Sarria, it was a welcome return to the relaxed pace of the earlier Camino. I loved it. All that said, your best plan is not to plan this. You don't know when you will get to Santiago, or what shape you will be in. You don't know what the 5-day weather forecast will be. You don't know if your feet are telling you to keep walking, or if they would rather head to Porto or San Sebastion for a few days on a patio or beach. If you have the time and the energy remaining, by all means go! But make that decision based on how you feel when you get to Santiago.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HI, Maruska89,
If I hadn’t just spent 30 minutes obsessing about the Camino Vasco Interior, I would have more time to anwwer your questions. But there are so many opinions on this, I would start by scrolling through the Finisterre/Muxia subforum. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia.20/

I have walked Santiago to Finisterre toMuxia, Santiago to Finisterre (no Muxia), Santiago to Muxia (no Finisterre) and Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre, and the last option is my favorite. I do a four day walk from Santiago to Vilaserio (GREAT albergue in Casa Vella) to Dumbría (not to be missed albergue and the nicest people in town that you can imagine) to Muxía to Finisterre. You can break it up into smaller chunks, but it is a great idea whichever option you take. Somehow things feel more complete, and if I have the time when I get to Santiago, I will always cut a Santiago visit short if it means I can get out to Muxía.

Thanks so much for your quick reply and suggestions! I will scroll through the subforms some more but I think I will follow what you've suggested going to Muxia then onto Finisterre. And since I've already been to Santiago I don't need to spend much time there other than to celebrate with my friends. I would be going alone this last stage so might enjoy this as I will have been walking with friends for most of the Frances. Gracias! Mary

I have done the walk to Finisterre, and it was glorious. You're in the company of a smaller group of familiar pilgrims, the pace is relaxed, the services are good, and that first view overlooking Cee and the ocean is not to be missed. After the previous five days from Sarria, it was a welcome return to the relaxed pace of the earlier Camino. I loved it. All that said, your best plan is not to plan this. You don't know when you will get to Santiago, or what shape you will be in. You don't know what the 5-day weather forecast will be. You don't know if your feet are telling you to keep walking, or if they would rather head to Porto or San Sebastion for a few days on a patio or beach. If you have the time and the energy remaining, by all means go! But make that decision based on how you feel when you get to Santiago.

Buen Camino
Great advice...thanks Rick. I will definitely see how things go once I'm nearing Santiago. I was going to plan flights to other areas of Europe since I'm there (I live in Canada) but my heart is on the Camino so it would be strange just sightseeing afterwards. So it just occurred to me the other day that I could stay and pilgrim on!! Thanks again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't know if there is any wisdom in it but I imagine I am watching the sun set over the ocean towards the Western Isles, as in the end of 'The Lord of the Rings'.

It feels like journey's end. A meditation on mortality. And it feels profound. To me.

I went to porto last year after Santiago. I regret not walking to finistere. Luckily I will be back in april, this time all the way to the ocean!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

When I arrived in Santiago, I did all the usual things: found the "last shell marker", payed my respects at the tomb of St James, went to mass, got my compostella... but I felt... underwhelmed. I knew this was a possibility. I just didn't have any closure in this big city, even though I had some moving moments there. My journey was over but I didn't want it to be.

If I'd had time, I would have walked to Finisterre and would suggest doing so. In my case, I took a bus and stayed there overnight, walking from town to the point. I walked up again in the evening with some pilgrims I'd met on day one in Roncesvailles to watch the sun set. THAT moment did it for me. I think part of it was showing my body, "Look - you can't walk any further! It's all ocean from here so you can stop now!" but mostly just talking to others about how we felt about it all, what we learned, the symbolism of the sun setting across the ocean (especially for those of us who live across that ocean), etc. I'm planning my second Camino and I'm allowing for even more time so I'll walk all the way to the ocean next time.

I had time after arriving in Santiago,so went on to Muxia,taking 3 days to walk the 90 km. It is relatively flat and easy walking,and very lovely. It reminded me greatly of asturia. I chose Muxia because I thought it would be less touristy than the other way. I became very sick or would have walked south to the Cape,which is the real end of the earth. If you have time,you probably will enjoy this very much,as it is a true ending to a wonderful journey. I met a suprisingly bunch of people who were walking back to Santiago. Enjoy

I have not walked that path but intend to, in the future. It's probably a great idea, what about deciding when you get there? :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Okay, maybe my wife and I are the exception, but we both found the Santiago-Finisterre part of the Camino a bit of a letdown...more "meh" than "amazing".

Santiago seemed the rightful end of our pilgrimage (we are practicing Catholics) while the extra days to the coast just seemed like a long walk. Finisterre itself was beautiful, but the route just seemed more of the same of what we had seen over the previous 40+ days. If we could rewind that time, I think those extra days would've been better spent staying an extra day or two at different cities along the way.

That being said, I've never heard any other pilgrim express a similar feeling so we must be an outlier.

I don't know if there is any wisdom in it but I imagine I am watching the sun set over the ocean towards the Western Isles, as in the end of 'The Lord of the Rings'.

It feels like journey's end. A meditation on mortality. And it feels profound. To me.

You touch on some old, old stuff there. Tolkien knew his mythologies, legends and beliefs. The journey to the "end-of-the-world" and to gaze across the sundering seas to those lands we can never reach in corpor. For some of us that is our pilgrimage.

I have never thought of my pilgrimage journeys as ending anywhere else than the saint's tomb, whether it is Santiago or St Olav. I did walk on to Muxia and Finisterre after my pilgrimage along the Camino Ingles some years ago, and it was a delightful thing to do. But it wasn't because I felt the need to 'complete' the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For whatever reason you decide to walk to the "End of the World" it is a fabulous walk. I truly can't decide which walk is better ~ the one to Muxía or the one to Finisterre. I would suggest you do both! The town of Muxía, I feel is more intimate than Finisterre, but many differ on the matter. If you are interested in one or the other, if you are short on time, my website may help you decide! Camino to the End of the World. Good luck and happy planning!

Hi there Mary....after arriving in Santiago from the del Norte, we were looking forward to a few relaxing days, but after 1 day, itchy feet got us on the move again and the walk to Finesterre, despite my extremely sore foot, was well worth the effort. Unfortunately I 'ran out of steam' and just couldn't walk another 27km to Muxia!! Next time for sure...Buen Camino and enjoy whatever way you go

We did Santiago to Munia in 2016 - a lot of walking on the road for the middle part of the trip from memory. But the last day’s walk is beautiful as is the walk between Finisterre and Munia.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would say go to Muxia and Finesterre! We hikes to Finisterre after Santiago and I still regret we didn’t go to Muxia!

Hello Dear Pilgrim,
I have walked to Muxia after Santiago and absolutely LOVED it there. Found it to be my spiritual home and one of the reasons (didn't know when I started) I walked the Camino. On my third pilgrimage, I walked the Portugués with my sister and we took a bus to Muxia, then walked along the coast (staying in Lires!) to Finesterre. This was her first pilgrimage and I wanted her to experience the magical sunset there. It felt like the right way for US to end our pilgrimage. Would highly recommend the walk between Muxia and Finesterre-a perfect way for us to contemplate our Way home! Buen Camino! Ultreia!

In my first Camino in 1989, I stopped in Santiago. I was out of time and I really saw it as a pilgrimage to Santiago. Why continue on after that?

In 2016, when I did my second Camino with my son, the Camino was a little more established and there were more materials available about it. For this Camino, we knew from the beginning that continuing on to Finisterre was a possibility. We decided to play it by ear. If we dragged ourselves in Santiago, thankful that it was finally done, we'd stop there. If we arrived in Santiago sorry that our Camino was ending and wishing we could keep walking, we'd keep walking to Finisterre. As it turned out, we were somewhere in the middle - pretty much ready for it to be done and to take a rest but also feeling like we had walked that far already, might as well walk a few more days and finish it off. I think, in the end, my son found Finisterre more impactful than Santiago. The walk to Finisterre was nice and I don't regret doing it instead of three or four more days of sightseeing.

In 2018, when I walked the Camino Portugues, I elected not to walk to Finisterre again but rather have a few days of sightseeing in Porto and Lisbon. I think it would have been different if I had been walking the Primitivo or the Norte or the Frances again. Continuing on to Finisterre/Muxia seems natural to me when you've been walking west for a while. When I was walking north (sometimes along the coast), suddenly changing a left and heading west doesn't seem as natural a continuation of my route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, I don’t normally comment much. But, three of us old men did the Camino Frances last mid-Apr and May 2018. We stayed an extra day in most big cities I.e. Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, etc, and of course, Santiago. We then went on to Finisterre and ended the next day in Muxia. For all three of us, the extra trek to both was the fitting end to our journeys. Ending in Muxia after Finisterra was very emotional. I personally felt it was more inspiring than Santiago. We then took the bus from Muxia back to Santiago and spent a second day doing the tourist thing. I would not have missed this extra trek and the sunset endings for anything. Buen Camino.

It’s special to stand next to the 0 km in Finisterre, but walking from Finisterre to Muxia was like a composit of all the beautiful places I had walked before! Lonely Forrest, wild ocean, a very guest friendly cooperative which will make you a coffee classical music and good company, stone storage houses, a friendly river, attentive sheep dogs, the option to stop or walk on. Normally 30 km where too long for me but there I thought I walk as long I can it’s my last steps. All those taxi phone numbers on the way close to the Muxia. I guess I was not the only one thinking so. How proud I was not to have stopped. If you stand at the church hill in Muxia full sunshine next to stone age carvings and suddenly the fog comes in you feel what a special place this is. It’s a special companionship in the Albergue sharing some wine with an Australian who walk through hip high snow in the Pyrenees and the Italian Alpin Mountanier who just had ended his de la Plata of 1000 km. You will not regret it. It’s

In my first Camino in 1989, I stopped in Santiago. I was out of time and I really saw it as a pilgrimage to Santiago. Why continue on after that?

In 2016, when I did my second Camino with my son, the Camino was a little more established and there were more materials available about it. For this Camino, we knew from the beginning that continuing on to Finisterre was a possibility. We decided to play it by ear. If we dragged ourselves in Santiago, thankful that it was finally done, we'd stop there. If we arrived in Santiago sorry that our Camino was ending and wishing we could keep walking, we'd keep walking to Finisterre. As it turned out, we were somewhere in the middle - pretty much ready for it to be done and to take a rest but also feeling like we had walked that far already, might as well walk a few more days and finish it off. I think, in the end, my son found Finisterre more impactful than Santiago. The walk to Finisterre was nice and I don't regret doing it instead of three or four more days of sightseeing.

In 2018, when I walked the Camino Portugues, I elected not to walk to Finisterre again but rather have a few days of sightseeing in Porto and Lisbon. I think it would have been different if I had been walking the Primitivo or the Norte or the Frances again. Continuing on to Finisterre/Muxia seems natural to me when you've been walking west for a while. When I was walking north (sometimes along the coast), suddenly changing a left and heading west doesn't seem as natural a continuation of my route.

Thanks David for your reply. I think I will play it by ear and leave all options open. Then main reason why I wanted to decide sooner than later was that if I was going to continue on to another place e.g.. Italy, I'd like to buy my flight tickets earlier to get a better price. But I think I'll just leave that for now, and let things just happen. Again, Gracias!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It’s special to stand next to the 0 km in Finisterre, but walking from Finisterre to Muxia was like a composit of all the beautiful places I had walked before! Lonely Forrest, wild ocean, a very guest friendly cooperative which will make you a coffee classical music and good company, stone storage houses, a friendly river, attentive sheep dogs, the option to stop or walk on. Normally 30 km where too long for me but there I thought I walk as long I can it’s my last steps. All those taxi phone numbers on the way close to the Muxia. I guess I was not the only one thinking so. How proud I was not to have stopped. If you stand at the church hill in Muxia full sunshine next to stone age carvings and suddenly the fog comes in you feel what a special place this is. It’s a special companionship in the Albergue sharing some wine with an Australian who walk through hip high snow in the Pyrenees and the Italian Alpin Mountanier who just had ended his de la Plata of 1000 km. You will not regret it. It’s
What a poetic response to my query! Beautiful! I am really leaning on continuing on after Santiago, but will wait till I get there to decide. I will have walked with one friend for the whole Frances, and then 2 others are joining us in Rabanal, so I think it might be nice for me to walk this end of my camino on my own. Did you walk "alone" though of course with other pilgrims alongside.

Ok, I don’t normally comment much. But, three of us old men did the Camino Frances last mid-Apr and May 2018. We stayed an extra day in most big cities I.e. Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, etc, and of course, Santiago. We then went on to Finisterre and ended the next day in Muxia. For all three of us, the extra trek to both was the fitting end to our journeys. Ending in Muxia after Finisterra was very emotional. I personally felt it was more inspiring than Santiago. We then took the bus from Muxia back to Santiago and spent a second day doing the tourist thing. I would not have missed this extra trek and the sunset endings for anything. Buen Camino.
Wow, I'm honoured to have your response. I don't normally post questions but this was one I needed help on. I'm leaning on continuing on and then the other question was which way? Finisterre first and then Muxia, or vice versa? I think the way you walked sounds great. I hope I get to see the sunset endings as well. Gracias!!

Hi there Mary....after arriving in Santiago from the del Norte, we were looking forward to a few relaxing days, but after 1 day, itchy feet got us on the move again and the walk to Finesterre, despite my extremely sore foot, was well worth the effort. Unfortunately I 'ran out of steam' and just couldn't walk another 27km to Muxia!! Next time for sure...Buen Camino and enjoy whatever way you go
thanks Loretta for your reply. I'm leaning towards continuing on, just not sure now whether Finisterre first or Muxia? But I'm sure it'll come together at the right time. I hope you get to come back and make it to Muxia next time. Gracias

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a poetic response to my query! Beautiful! I am really leaning on continuing on after Santiago, but will wait till I get there to decide. I will have walked with one friend for the whole Frances, and then 2 others are joining us in Rabanal, so I think it might be nice for me to walk this end of my camino on my own. Did you walk "alone" though of course with other pilgrims alongside.
I walked alone but there is a difference between loneliness and solitude.

Thanks David for your reply. I think I will play it by ear and leave all options open. Then main reason why I wanted to decide sooner than later was that if I was going to continue on to another place e.g.. Italy, I'd like to buy my flight tickets earlier to get a better price. But I think I'll just leave that for now, and let things just happen. Again, Gracias!
If you decide not to walk on, you can always take a bus. A few extra days in Santiago and/or Finisterre or Muxia to rest and decompress instead of continuing your walk isn't a bad thing if you are really exhausted. You might find that more valuable after a Camino then sightseeing in another part of Europe.

Wow! I am thinking of ending along the coast, as well. Can you describe why Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre is your favorite? (Perhaps you have already explained in the posts above.) I'll also look at the sub-forum, but curious your reasoning. Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow! I am thinking of ending along the coast, as well. Can you describe why Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre is your favorite? (Perhaps you have already explained in the posts above.) I'll also look at the sub-forum, but curious your reasoning. Thank you!

Well, for one thing I share the feelings of those who say that it just feels right to end at Finisterre, with the lighthouse and the sunset, so if I have the time, I like to go from Muxia to Finisterre. But a few years ago, I only had three days, so I could only choose to walk to either Muxia or to Finisterre. And I chose Muxia, because I like that walk much better, so you can see my opinions are all mixed up. If you walk first to Finisterre, you get a lot more ocean views, from the headlands down to the water and then along the coast, which you don’t get if you walk first to Muxia. But if I walk first to Muxia, I can stay in the Dumbría albergue. The people in this town are awesome, and the albergue is unique. The route from Dumbría to Muxia also goes past a romanesque church with a pretty awesome facade, so if you like romanesque that’s another reason. But you don’t get much coastal walking when you walk into Muxía first. And the route from Muxía to Finisterre also has very little coast, unless you break off the camino and head out there yourself (which I would recommend doing in Lires). Hope this helps, happy to answer specific questions, buen camino,Laurie

Well, for one thing I share the feelings of those who say that it just feels right to end at Finisterre, with the lighthouse and the sunset, so if I have the time, I like to go from Muxia to Finisterre. But a few years ago, I only had three days, so I could only choose to walk to either Muxia or to Finisterre. And I chose Muxia, because I like that walk much better, so you can see my opinions are all mixed up. If you walk first to Finisterre, you get a lot more ocean views, from the headlands down to the water and then along the coast, which you don’t get if you walk first to Muxia. But if I walk first to Muxia, I can stay in the Dumbría albergue. The people in this town are awesome, and the albergue is unique. The route from Dumbría to Muxia also goes past a romanesque church with a pretty awesome facade, so if you like romanesque that’s another reason. But you don’t get much coastal walking when you walk into Muxía first. And the route from Muxía to Finisterre also has very little coast, unless you break off the camino and head out there yourself (which I would recommend doing in Lires). Hope this helps, happy to answer specific questions, buen camino,Laurie
Thank you for your quick reply! I can see all your points and will probably have to flip a coin, lol! 😂 I initially thought Finisterre first then ending in Muxia as I read it is actually the westernmost point and more quiet/peaceful, but I will certainly look into the albergue you mention and all your other feedback. Thanks so much for your insight!

€149,-
Walk on!! After doing SJPDP to Santiago last year, leaving that city was one of my fondest memory on the whole Camino.
The walk from Santiago to Finisterre was fantastic, you will regret if you don´t.

We’re doung the pilgrimage mid May to early July. We’re old! We think having walked 500miles, we’ll have earned a bus ride to Finisterre! That’ll give a bit more time to snuffle around other places.

Somehow when you reach the ocean, you feel as though you've finished, a natural ending
Agree. For me it was closure to a wonderful month. Also would not know what to do with the 5-6 days you mentioned in Santiago. It's not that big a place. Have fun!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We’re doung the pilgrimage mid May to early July. We’re old! We think having walked 500miles, we’ll have earned a bus ride to Finisterre! That’ll give a bit more time to snuffle around other places.
And for me being able to walk to the coast is the reward for the previous 500 miles. 😊

Haha... Old is a state of mind.... or maybe a state of your knees sometimes! Buen Camino!

Thank you Laurie. You always have in-depth thoughtful replies. Hmmm... getting more difficult to decide which way first. But I'd love to check out that albergue and town of Dumbria! May have to go to Muxia, then backtrack to Hospital and head to Finisterre! I'll see how much time I have.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Agree. For me it was closure to a wonderful month. Also would not know what to do with the 5-6 days you mentioned in Santiago. It's not that big a place. Have fun!
...and a bit touristy IMHO. 1 sleep in Santiago was enough for for me, but each to his own I guess.

...and a bit touristy IMHO. 1 sleep in Santiago was enough for for me, but each to his own I guess.
I was thinking of going to go to some other part of Europe for the last 5-6 days, maybe Italy's Cinque Terre, but I also didn't want to be rushed. Appreciate everyone's input!

HI John.. thanks for replying. I wasn't planning on staying in Santiago for those last days, but rather, going to Cinque Terre with other friends who were joining us of the last 230km of Frances. But then got thinking of just staying in Spain and continuing on to Finisterre/Muxia.

€60,-
I am very glad I did Finisterre & Muxia at the end of my CF. 3 days to Fin. and 1 more to Muxia, then a 6:30am bus back to Santiago. I could not stop grinning when I first caught a glimpse of the ocean over the hillside early on day 3 to Fin. and then again when I walked along the beach a few hours later. Greatest physical and mental achievement of my life thus far. Happy trails!

I was thinking of going to go to some other part of Europe for the last 5-6 days, maybe Italy's Cinque Terre, but I also didn't want to be rushed. Appreciate everyone's input!
Well, if it wasn´t for tha fact that you walked from Porto a few years ago I would suggest to og by bus to Porto, only 3 hours aprox.
I spent a few days there after my Camino last year.

I will have 3--or 4 days, depending on whether it is is easy to get from Santiago to Madrid on a Sunday--left. I am a fast walker. Which itinerary is more doable, or should I plan to walk some but mostly take the bus for that part.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will have 3--or 4 days, depending on whether it is is easy to get from Santiago to Madrid on a Sunday--left. I am a fast walker. Which itinerary is more doable, or should I plan to walk some but mostly take the bus for that part.

I think you can walk either Santiago to Finisterre or Santiago to Muxia in 3 days, and then one day between Muxia and Finisterre. So with four days, you can pick either one. Getting back to Santiago is slightly easier from Finisterre than Muxia.

And there are various flights from SCQ to MAD on Sundays.

Hi is it easy enough to get a bus to finisterre and back in a day . And do i need to book in advance? Will be i Santiago end of may. Gratefull for any advice.

Hi is it easy enough to get a bus to finisterre and back in a day . And do i need to book in advance? Will be i Santiago end of may. Gratefull for any advice.
Yes, but it sounds stressful to me. Pre-booking not needed.

HI, Maruska89,

I cheked the route you walked (places you stayed) and that looks in front very excited. I will walk the SdC-Muxia-Finisterre (and walking back to SdC) Camino from the 12th till the 20th of April. I don't like to walk by map but if I noticed the places you recommend then I think I'll might stay over in Vilaserio and Dumbria. So Peregrina2000....may I thank you for the advice? ;)

Do it. I hadn't planned on it, but the people I met while walking were going so I decided to go too. It was worth it and I think it only took 3 days.

I know its hard to believe, but once you get to SdC, you won't want to stop walking.

Sure, why not. Go ahead and continue walking to the coast if you have time and are up to it. You will not regret it.
Do not know if you were planning to, but just do not burn your shoes/boots and clothing on the shores while you are there. That whole bit of it being a tradition is pure rubbish and the locals do not want you to, it is environmentally bad and there has even been a small wildfire caused by silly pilgrims doing it.

I do a four day walk from Santiago to Vilaserio (GREAT albergue in Casa Vella) to Dumbría (not to be missed albergue and the nicest people in town that you can imagine) to Muxía to Finisterre.
That sounds great but the distances are a bit long (for some!). What do you think the ideal 5-day itinerary would be?

That sounds great but the distances are a bit long (for some!). What do you think the ideal 5-day itinerary would be?

I’m assuming you want to walk first to Muxia and then Finisterre. That’s my favorite, just because I still find the lighthouse sunset a more appropriate ending than Muxia for some odd reason. Even if it’s cloudy (I’ve only had one real glorious sunset up there), it’s still very special.

There are fewer accommodations after Hospitales to Muxia, and the Dumbria albergue is currently closed. But there are options. I haven’t stayed in Santa Mariña or Castro. There are reviews of Santa Mariña on the forum, and it’s before the split at Hospitales.

Santiago to Negreira — 20
Negreira to Santa Mariña — about 20
Santa Mariña to Castro (maybe a bit pricey) — about 23
Castro to Muxia about 21
Muxia to Finisterre 27 — and can easily be broken into two days with a stop in Lires. But even if you don’t stop for the night, make your way to the beach (about .5 km off camino) to the bar with an absolutely gorgeous setting. There are ways to hug the coast a little longer from there back to the camino withough adding much if any distance.

About 3.5 km outside Muxia, the Romanesque church at Moraime has some really nice carvings outside. (So that may be the telling point for you in deciding whether to go first to Muxia or Finisterre ;)) The monastery has also been converted into a hotel/hostal It was almost ready to open the last time I was there, but I didn’t get to see much inside other than a room with vending machines, which seemed a bit out of place.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m assuming you want to walk first to Muxia and then Finisterre.
That was the idea although we’ll have to see if we still have enough energy for it by the time we reach Santiago! Or maybe a shorter version without Muxia could be an option to ‘save’ Muxia for another time.

Thanks as always for your suggestions, something to ponder as we inch towards Galicia.

EA84CED1-9E54-4DEB-B109-1AD713A71D19.jpeg
Definitely recommend making the trek to Finisterre & Muxia - what a way to complete a month long journey. Found the Muxia sign laying on the ground and couldn’t resist picking up for a fun photo.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back