• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

stopping at Silos?

Salve! I've recently been seeded with the persistent thought of take a little side-trip to Santo Domingo de Silos whilst on my Camino. Its a bit south of Burgos, from what I gather. Perhaps a daytrip away off the path? Will I get lost? Is it feasable? Has anyone been? Will wild animals and snakes of the deserted Spanish countryside eat me alive with no one to hear my cries? :) Any advice is heartily welcome!

pax et bonum
amaris

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Santo Domingo

The CSJ suggests a detour to Santo Domingo de Silos which is 75km south of Burgos.
"Most people go by bus and spend at two night there so that they can attend a mass ( or a number of masses) and hear the Gregorian Chants.
Bus leaves Burgos at 17:30 Mon-Thurs and 14:00 on Firday and Saturday.
The morning bus returns at 08:30. The cloisters are one of the best Romanesque monuments in Spain and includes Christ on the Road to Emmaus showing Jesus dressed as a pilgrim. It is wise to book accommodation ahead."

Hi Sil and thank you! I knew I could count on you for a worthy reply! :) 75 kilometers would take me 2 days, were I to walk...and 2 days back...
For some reason it just seems to me a grevious thing to do while on a pilgrimage...to take a bus...*sigh* I suppose I will see when I get there. Many thanks though, very helpful information.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Santo Domigo

You could try hitching a lift. I'm sure even medieval pilgrims agreed to the odd piggyback ride on a mule, horse or donkey if offered one!
Seriously - you will not be gaining any ground by getting a bus to Santo Domingo and back - just making a detour. When I walked the Via Turonensis we took a train from Dax to Lourdes and back. Some people make a trip from Leon to Oviedo and back.
I'm sure it will be well worth the extra day to visit Santo Domingo.
Abrazos

Chant

For those so interested, there are a number of monasteries throughout the world that are dedicated to Gregorian Chant. Some I even prefer to the monks at Silos.

My personal favorite is St. Mary's Monastery/St. Scholastica's Priory in Petersham, MA. This is a men's & women's Benedictine community that shares a chapel. It's interesting to hear the men's & women's voices blended together. They also have their own CDs available online.

If you visit Petersham, be sure to go up the street to visit the Maronite monks of Holy Trinity Monastery. They are Catholic monks from the Eastern Church (specifically Lebanon). Their chant is quite different from anything you would hear in the West. Worth a visit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Santo Domingo de Silos

From Paul Tobey's website:
http://www.paultobey.com/camino-de-sant ... nload.html

"The Brotherhood"- by Paul Tobey
Take a trip inside the sacred walls of the Santo Domingo de Silos Monastery

Filmed on location during Paul Tobey's 850km pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella, it is a revealing and heartwarming look into the life of a monk. Within the ancient walls of the monastery of Santo Domingo de Silos, Padre Ramon reveals insights into his life as part of the most famous Benedictine Order in history. The monks of Silos are known throughout the world for their Gregorian Chants and have sold over 6 million albums.
Enter the private world of the Brotherhood of Silos where no cameras have gone before. Join Paul and Padre Ramon as they take a walk around the holy cloister and share intimately about life, love, music and spirituality.

St Domingo de Silos

Two days ago I decided that this year, when I reach Burgos in April, I will take a trip to St. Domingo de Silos. I have been in Burgos two times and thought of St. Domingo de Silos both times. And here comes the information on how! Great! Does anybody know which bus-company? And if I must "book accommodation ahead", does anybody know what possibilities there are? One more question: If I find out that time is scarce, can I Take the bus 17.30 and reach the evening-song? Is it 19.00? ... And the morning-song (07.00?) before returning to Burgos 8.30?

Santo Domingo de Silas

The 2006 CSJ Guide has this info:

Buses leave Burgos station at 17h30 Mon-Thurs, 18h30 Fri and 14h00 Sat.
(Not sure how long they take to Santo Domingo.)
Mass with Gregorian Chant 09h00 (12h00 Sun) Vespers daily at 19h00. Matins 06h00 and Lauds 07h00, Compline 21h30.

It also says that only men can stay at the monastery.

A good hostal/hotel is the Hotel Santo Domingo with Singles 26E and doubles 36E http://www.hotelsantodomingodesilos.com/

Hostal Cruces Phone: + 34 947390064 E-mail: hostalcruces@terra.es

Hotel Tres Coronas:phone:+34 947390125 E-mail: coronasdos@aolavant.com

Hotel ARCO DE SAN JUAN: Phone: + 34 947390074

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.