• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stopping in Roncesvalles... or not

fjvjess

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015
Veterans,

In about 2 weeks I'll walk from SJPdP to Orisson for the night. IF I feel strong and eager enough to walk 3-6K beyond Roncesvalles to sleep, will I be missing a pilgrim rite of passage by not staying in the massive alburgue in Roncesvalles? I've read all the wise advice about taking it slow the first few days, and I will most likely follow that advice. But, just in case my body decides otherwise, I wonder what I might miss (or gain!) by sleeping in Burguete or Espinal, for example.

Thanks for your thoughts...getting very excited for my 1st Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wonder what I might miss (or gain!) by sleeping in Burguete or Espinal
Nothing (either way). Every place along the Camino is nice, and you cannot stop in all of them. :)

The rite of passage albergue with a hundred beds lined up is closed, and the new one is a modern gem, albeit without blankets. You may miss a pilgrim mass at the church, but you will miss masses all along the Camino, so one more or less is not important.

Do what fits you. You won't be disappointed.;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The rite of passage albergue with a hundred beds lined up is closed.;)
I am so glad I got to stay in the old albergue, what a beautiful building, and I truly felt like a pilgrim sleeping there, with the stone walls and massive wooden lamps hanging over us. It was a bit of a trip back in time.

Veterans,

In about 2 weeks I'll walk from SJPdP to Orisson for the night. IF I feel strong and eager enough to walk 3-6K beyond Roncesvalles to sleep, will I be missing a pilgrim rite of passage by not staying in the massive alburgue in Roncesvalles? I've read all the wise advice about taking it slow the first few days, and I will most likely follow that advice. But, just in case my body decides otherwise, I wonder what I might miss (or gain!) by sleeping in Burguete or Espinal, for example.

Well, I've done both. My first Camino I stopped in Roncesvalles. It was nice. The albergue was clean. Had an okay meal (pilgrim's menu), but otherwise not my most memorable stop on that Camino. You do meet a lot of pilgrim's though. It is definitely a sociable place, but it's far from a rite of passage on the Camino.
On my second Camino I stopped only in Roncesvalles long enough to rest a bit, enjoy a cold one and then I walked the short 3 km's or so and spent the night in Burguete at the hotel Hemingway used to stay in. I gotta say, that was pretty cool and it's a really quaint and cool little town.

Veterans,

I had the same idea, before I started. Great to try to make plans but for me It just never worked that way. I flowed with what felt very natural. You will be walking with others that may become your walking family who will toss ideas in the air as you go, as will you.
So go as you like. Best advice I can give is don't get too stuck on timelines or distances. Be a sponge & soak it up!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Veterans,

I've just finished my Camino, having started from Roncesvalles so a slightly different situation to yours. It's not far to Burguete from there, but I did find Roncesvalles was a lovely place to stay overnight. We were in a hotel room rather than the albergue, but the whole place had a very special, peaceful feel. The pilgrims mass and blessing is special too, and all are welcomed. Although I have to say that the is nothing as loud as an entire pew falling over backwards just as everyone stands up in silence because some silly pilgrim catches her fleece on it and takes the whole thing down including herself. Yes, if anyone was there on April 15th, I'm sorry!

Whatever you decide, buen Camino!

Hello everyone.
First I have to say that I married in Roncesvalles and my two children were baptized there.
Roncesvalles is a very important place for the Navarros. Cultural, religious and historically.
In his collegiate he is buried the King Sancho VII " El Fuerte " one of the victors of the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa. Also the Chains from the camp Miramamolín the Moorish king. That currently form the Shield of Navarre.
Well, who is interested in history can get more information online.
Un saludo y Buen Camino.

Veterans,

Greetings. Last year I walked past Roncevalles and stayed at the Hotel Burgette, as you are considering. I was in a quest to finish my Camino in quick time. I have always wondered what I missed there and at other locations along the Camino. Falcon said you miss masses all along the Camino and he is right. This year my wife and I are making a point to stop in Roncevalles and other quaint places along our Camino....It's just a personnel decision i Guess. Let God lead you and you will do what is right. It does sound like you have made your decision already. Buen Camino. Ed

Veterans,

You will miss your pilgrimsblessing og you font stop in Roncessvalles.

You will miss your pilgrimsblessing og you do not stop in Roncesvalles. The mass there Word the blessing was a nice and powerful start.

I did find Roncesvalles was a lovely place to stay overnight.
Because so many pilgrims stay at Roncesvalles, it has taken on a mystical air. It is the point of triumph over the Pyrenees, and rows of pilgrims tend to their blistered feet and sore bodies at the end of the day. However, it has two restaurants, two hotels, no store, and one albergue (with overflow capacity). It is restful in part because there is nothing to do but rest! :)

You need to make reservations for the Pilgrim Menu, or you will end up with the full price food charges.

http://www.laposadaderoncesvalles.com/serviciosposada.htm

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You will miss your pilgrimsblessing og you do not stop in Roncesvalles. The mass there Word the blessing was a nice and powerful start.

While Roncesvalles is certainly a beautiful early stop, there are no worries about missing the pilgrims' blessing there, as there are lots of pilgrims' blessings in fabulous churches and cathedrals all along The Way.

..............Although I have to say that the is nothing as loud as an entire pew falling over backwards just as everyone stands up in silence because some silly pilgrim catches her fleece on it and takes the whole thing down including herself. Yes, if anyone was there on April 15th, I'm sorry!
How embarrassing! :eek::D:D Whatever did you do to deserve that?! Hope the rest of your Camino was smoother sailing. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
M
I've just finished my Camino, having started from Roncesvalles so a slightly different situation to yours. It's not far to Burguete from there, but I did find Roncesvalles was a lovely place to stay overnight. We were in a hotel room rather than the albergue, but the whole place had a very special, peaceful feel. The pilgrims mass and blessing is special too, and all are welcomed. Although I have to say that the is nothing as loud as an entire pew falling over backwards just as everyone stands up in silence because some silly pilgrim catches her fleece on it and takes the whole thing down including herself. Yes, if anyone was there on April 15th, I'm sorry!

My cat is wondering why I am laughing so hard. I tried to explain the pew to him, and he just looked at me like I was crazy. He does that a lot.

Veterans,

I have just today (an hour ago) finished this exact thing. I woke up intending to walk past Roncesvalles to Espinal, but was open to seeing how I felt. The walk to R. is tough! (i don't know if people stress enough just how tough it is). I was pretty much front of the pack of the bunch that headed out from Orisson. I got to R. at the 12 bells of noon and I think delerium set in and I said 'just keep going because if you don't you'll never get going again' so I kept going. It seemed longer than advertised and was the toughest part of the day for me. I can barely move. So...Espinal is doable, but it's a neck of a tough day! Ps. Hostel Irugoiena is lovely and quiet probably because not many push it!

While Roncesvalles is certainly a beautiful early stop, there are no worries about missing the pilgrims' blessing there, as there are lots of pilgrims' blessings in fabulous churches and cathedrals all along The Way.
Agreed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As others have said, the Pilgrims' Mass and blessing (even if you're not Catholic) at Roncesvalles is reason enough to stop there. Tes, there are many other opportunities to attend Pilgrims' Masses and to receive blessings along the way, but somehow the one at Roncesvalles was extra special. And the parish priest was standing by the "Santiago 790 km" sign at daybreak the next morning, wishing everyone who passed a "¡Buen Camino!"

Hello,

Yes, there are many other places with pilgrim blessing. But more often at the end of an "ordinary" mass than as a pilgrim-dedicated ceremony. Roncesvalles is more special, with a church full of pilgrims. Comparable to Le Puy or Santiago imho.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone.
First I have to say that I married in Roncesvalles and my two children were baptized there.
Roncesvalles is a very important place for the Navarros. Cultural, religious and historically.
In his collegiate he is buried the King Sancho VII " El Fuerte " one of the victors of the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa. Also the Chains from the camp Miramamolín the Moorish king. That currently form the Shield of Navarre.
Well, who is interested in history can get more information online.
Un saludo y Buen Camino.
I very much like what Senior Olivares has brought up, as it really relates to not only the historical but more importantly the spiritual as well. I cannot easily avoid stressing the importance of how this walk could easily change your outlook of life. Ronecevalles is simply by my personal "feel" a place not only to stay but to pray. IMHO

Of course after walking over the "hill" from SJPDP some may be praying for finding Tylenol :)
Keith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As others have said, the Pilgrims' Mass and blessing (even if you're not Catholic) at Roncesvalles is reason enough to stop there. Tes, there are many other opportunities to attend Pilgrims' Masses and to receive blessings along the way, but somehow the one at Roncesvalles was extra special. And the parish priest was standing by the "Santiago 790 km" sign at daybreak the next morning, wishing everyone who passed a "¡Buen Camino!"
You are so wright, wish you well, Peter.

We did the overnight at Orisson but still found the trek to Roncesvalles to be a challenge. I like to blame the extreme heat and high winds on that day in August 2013 but I think it's a tough walk in any conditions! The following day as we arrived in Burguette I actually said "that wasn't much further. Maybe we should have carried on and stayed here." Clearly a couple of nights of poor sleep were already affecting my judgement. That extra distance the day before would have felt vastly different!

As for the Pilgrim's Mass, I'm surprised that something sidnt fall over or on myself and the young Dutch Woman sitting with us. I'm afraid that my over tired, non religious soul was not terribly moved by the service and we exchanged a lot of eye rolls. Perhaps my husband's enjoyment of the service made up for me!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone. I feel a sense of freedom, now, about either choice.

Regarding the pilgrim masses, since many mentioned them- did you just find out about them, and their time and location, along the way, as you entered a new town?

Thanks everyone. I feel a sense of freedom, now, about either choice.

Regarding the pilgrim masses, since many mentioned them- did you just find out about them, and their time and location, along the way, as you entered a new town?
Ask at the albergue when you check in, or in smaller towns, stop at the church if you pass it before you get to the albergue -- the information may be posted there. As mentioned before, many of them are not Pilgrim Masses per se, but they do offer blessings to pilgrims either during or after the Mass.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Veterans,

I did the camino frances a month ago, ,personally i loved the albergue at R oncesvalles,,fantastic facilities after a 30 odd km strol over the pirenees...enjoy,,,buen camino

Veterans,

Good Morning...when are you leaving from SJPP? I start walking on the 27th and stopping in Orisson for the night.

I would stop. You will be very tired when you reach Orisson, and the journey into Spain is taxing. My advice is to take your time to get accustomed to walking every day. YOU DO NOT want to injure yourself this early in the Pilgrimage. "It is your road and yours alone. Others may walk it with you. but no one can walk it for you". Your "right of passage" will be your Compestela. (If you think of it, ask Jean Jaques if he remembers a Pilgrim who gave him some Tobasco sauce) you MUST try his foie gras. I wish you a Buen Camino !

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back