• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stopping in Segovia en route to Leon

We will arrive from Canada to walk the Salvador. It seems like a good idea to stop in Segovia for a day to get over our jetlag before heading to Leon. Is the train the best way to get from Segovia to Leon? I cannot seem to find any bus options and suspect it is because a transfer is probably required. Also any suggestions on a pilgrim friendly hostel/hotel in Segovia and Leon would be appreciated. David

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We will arrive from Canada to walk the Salvador. It seems like a good idea to stop in Segovia for a day to get over our jetlag before heading to Leon. Is the train the best way to get from Segovia to Leon? I cannot seem to find any bus options and suspect it is because a transfer is probably required. Also any suggestions on a pilgrim friendly hostel/hotel in Segovia and Leon would be appreciated. David

Renfe has two trains from Segovia to Leon.

Linecar operates buses from Segovia to Valladolid.
http://www.linecar.es/Linecar/Informaci%F3n/Nuestra%20Empresa

ALSA operates buses from Valladolid to Leon.
https://www.alsa.es/en/

Hi, David,
With the high speed train now stopping in Segovia, that's what I'd do. I think at least one a day goes to Leon from Madrid with a stop in Segovia.

As far as pilgrim friendly hostel, I have stayed in many in Leon and one of my favorites is the Pension Blanca. Breakfast is included in the price, and you also have free use of the kitchen. It's about equidistant from the train station, the cathedral, and the parador (where the Salvador breaks off from the Frances). But I do think its prices have risen lately, so you might just want to check booking.com for specials.

When I walked the Camino de Madrid (which goes through Segovia), I stayed in the Hostal Don Jaime. Very close to the aqueduct and the old part of town. http://www.hostaldonjaime.com

Lucky you, walking the Salvador, you will love it! Will you continue onto the Primitivo? Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola!

In Segovia many sources (for Camino de Madrid walkers) recommend Duerme Vela Hostel. Their website http://duermevelahostel.com/ is currently under construction but you can book through booking.com. I haven't stayed there, instead I went on to Zamarramala, small village a short walk from Segovia on Camino de Madrid (it's actually just across the river and with nice vista over Segovia and Alcazar castle), where you can find municipal pilgrim albergue that was opened year and a half ago.

For Leon I would recommend Albergue Unamuno which I found the best deal regarding price/location (cathedral is almost around the corner): http://www.residenciaunamuno.com/albergue2/en

Ultreia!

Is the train the best way to get from Segovia to Leon?

For me, yes but I'm a train fan so I could be biased so I'll provide some more info so you can decide by yourself. There's one direct train from Segovia to León and much more options changing trains in Valladolid. Making the route by train is quicker than making the route by bus but it's more expensive.

I cannot seem to find any bus options and suspect it is because a transfer is probably required.

Right. You have to change buses in Valladolid. From Segovia to Valladolid the bus operator is Linecar. As the web is in Spanish, I'll link the schedule from September 1st: www.linecar.es/pdf/SEGOVIA-VALLADOLID.pdf
From Valladolid to León, the bus operator is Alsa: www.alsa.es/en

Renfe has two trains from Segovia to Leon.

The RENFE web shows two options but just one of them is direct. The other one involves a change of trains in Valladolid and, changing trains in Valladolid, there are many more options that aren't showed if you look for trains from Segovia to León but that you can figure out by yourself if you make two separate searches: one from Segovia to Valladolid and another one from Valladolid to León. BTW, if you plan to purchase a ticket from Segovia to Valladolid or León in the web of RENFE, don't forget to select as departure station Segovia (*) -this option means the search engine will look for options out of all the train stations in Segovia- or Segovia-AV (aka Segovia Guiomar) -the train station used by the high speed trains going to Valladolid and León (the ones to León so far just go at high speed till Valladolid although it's expected this autumn they'll go high speed all the way till León). If you select Segovia as departure point, you won't get results because that's for depatures from the old train station from where there are only a few Regional trains to Madrid.

Segovia is such an interesting town and well deserves at least a 24 hours stop over! There is also a small church just outside the walls, reminiscent to Eunate.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Segovia is such an interesting town and well deserves at least a 24 hours stop over! There is also a small church just outside the walls, reminiscent to Eunate.
True, on the way to Zamarramala.

Hi, David,
With the high speed train now stopping in Segovia, that's what I'd do. I think at least one a day goes to Leon from Madrid with a stop in Segovia.

As far as pilgrim friendly hostel, I have stayed in many in Leon and one of my favorites is the Pension Blanca. Breakfast is included in the price, and you also have free use of the kitchen. It's about equidistant from the train station, the cathedral, and the parador (where the Salvador breaks off from the Frances). But I do think its prices have risen lately, so you might just want to check booking.com for specials.

When I walked the Camino de Madrid (which goes through Segovia), I stayed in the Hostal Don Jaime. Very close to the aqueduct and the old part of town. http://www.hostaldonjaime.com

Lucky you, walking the Salvador, you will love it! Will you continue onto the Primitivo? Buen camino, Laurie

Many thanks Laurie, We walked the Salvador in the middle of April a few years ago, I'm expecting to enjoy the spectacular scenery without the knee-deep snow this time. We will go from Oviedo to do sections of the Norte that we missed in 2009 - Merkina to Laredo, and then Luarca to Santiago. Time permitting we will finally do the walk to Finisterre. We leave on Monday. We are looking forward to it.

For me, yes but I'm a train fan so I could be biased so I'll provide some more info so you can decide by yourself. There's one direct train from Segovia to León and much more options changing trains in Valladolid. Making the route by train is quicker than making the route by bus but it's more expensive.

Right. You have to change buses in Valladolid. From Segovia to Valladolid the bus operator is Linecar. As the web is in Spanish, I'll link the schedule from September 1st: www.linecar.es/pdf/SEGOVIA-VALLADOLID.pdf
From Valladolid to León, the bus operator is Alsa: www.alsa.es/en

The RENFE web shows two options but just one of them is direct. The other one involves a change of trains in Valladolid and, changing trains in Valladolid, there are many more options that aren't showed if you look for trains from Segovia to León but that you can figure out by yourself if you make two separate searches: one from Segovia to Valladolid and another one from Valladolid to León. BTW, if you plan to purchase a ticket from Segovia to Valladolid or León in the web of RENFE, don't forget to select as departure station Segovia (*) -this option means the search engine will look for options out of all the train stations in Segovia- or Segovia-AV (aka Segovia Guiomar) -the train station used by the high speed trains going to Valladolid and León (the ones to León so far just go at high speed till Valladolid although it's expected this autumn they'll go high speed all the way till León). If you select Segovia as departure point, you won't get results because that's for depatures from the old train station from where there are only a few Regional trains to Madrid.

Many thanks Castilian, I also prefer the train, but the timing might lead us to the bus option. I particularly appreciate the link to the Linecar schedule.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back