• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Stopping my Camino and going home

JensOnTheCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hola out there,

thanks to all the wonderful people in this forum (I wish I have know this forum earlier) I made and now execute my decision to go home.
I arrived in Irun yesterday and was following the news closely (first time bringing my smartphone on the Camino). The city was a ghost town with only a few bars still open.
At night after the presidents speech I decided to book a flight home from Bilbao to Germany.
Today I had a great time walking from Irun to San Sebastián, but the Camino was completely empty.
The police was patrolling the roads in San Sebastián and made very clear to me, that walking the Camino is not allowed and that I have to stay in a hotel.
I did get to the bus station and took the bus to Bilbao.
That was it for now but I will come back in the near future.
To all other pilgrims: stop - leave home - stay healthy!
Jens

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola out there,

thanks to all the wonderful people in this forum (I wish I have know this forum earlier) I made and now execute my decision to go home.
I arrived in Irun yesterday and was following the news closely (first time bringing my smartphone on the Camino). The city was a ghost town with only a few bars still open.
At night after the presidents speech I decided to book a flight home from Bilbao to Germany.
Today I had a great time walking from Irun to San Sebastián, but the Camino was completely empty.
The police was patrolling the roads in San Sebastián and made very clear to me, that walking the Camino is not allowed and that I have to stay in a hotel.
Jens
Heartbreaking. I'm so sorry you had to stop, but I'm glad you made it out safely and healthy. The Camino will wait for your return. Ultreia.

Hola out there,

Jens
Safe journey. You - we all - will return. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was due to arrive in roughly 4 weeks, not happening no obviously. Finding a month to travel was hard, honestly don't know if/when i'll be able to find it again. Will look to next year, here's hoping. I'm devastated, but my family's health & safety are the only important things now.

Very sorry, tough personally. I was booked to travel to Irun yesterday but obviously did not. I’m disappointed but worse for you. On a brighter note we will be back at a better time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back