• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Storage in Albergues?

Kcorbharas

Time of past OR future Camino
Future: Sept 2023
Once I check in and get my bed, how will my bag be stored while I get dinner, explore the city, go to the bar, etc?
Do I need to bring it everywhere with me?
Is it typically fine to just leave my bag unattended?
Is there usually a locker?

I feel a sense that it’s okay to trust the people on this journey… but I’m curious what other have done.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In some places there will be a locker, but always have a small bag that you can carry your money, credit cards passport, credential, and anything else of value with you even in the shower cubicle. I use a silnylon drybag in the shower that can be hung up if there is a hook or a curtain rod. Some people bring an S hook to hang it from the door or partition. It is normally ok to leave your backpack, clothes, sleeping bag, etc.. at the albergue. If you are traveling with a trusted friend it would be OK to ask them to watch your things, but other than that, take your valuables with you. Theft can and does happen on the Camino--especially in the larger cities and albergues, but it can happen anywhere. It is not common though if you take precautions to have your important things with you.

Hehehe... on my caminos I usually would take my valuables to the shower and toilet... in the beginning... luckily I haven't had bad experiences so far, but to be honest I have mostly been staying in smaller villages.

I feel a sense that it’s okay to trust the people on this journey… but I’m curious what other have done.
You still need to be careful about the security of important personal belongings whenever you are among strangers, which are most other people in albergues. Temper the level of trust by taking precautions about money and other valuable items. I try and have these with me at all times, including having them in a hard to access place where they cannot be moved without disturbing me when I am sleeping. People here will provide a variety of suggestions about that, but I don't personally discuss the details of my security arrangements, certainly not with other pilgrims. It would be a real flag to me if someone were to start a conversation about what I did to secure my valuables, and one that I would avoid completely.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As dougfitz wisely suggests in the above post never tell anyone where and what you have !!

A few years ago in Trinidad de Arre an actor from LA who was bunked next to me asked anxiously "Where do you have your money?"
As if on cue I rolled my eyes and answered "Why in the bank! And you?"

For further advice read these earlier forum threads with useful tips on camino security and here.

Last edited:
Once I check in and get my bed, how will my bag be stored while I get dinner, explore the city, go to the bar, etc?

Your bag will usually be hanging off the end of your bunk, as will everyone else’s. Your valuables should be on your person at all times.

Trust in Allah, but tether your camel.

A lot of pilgrims are victims of theft on the Camino, especially the Frances. I've had a couple of things stolen off my pack (sunglasses) and I've met pilgrims who had large quantities of money stolen from them.
Never leave your money, credit cards, passport etc unattended as well as any phones or devices. Don't even leave them in the backpack at night when you're sleeping.
There are a small percentage of albergues that provide lockers to secure your backpack.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Keep your valuables with you at all times. I carry a bumbag/fannypack and keep passport, credential, phone, money, and cards in it at a minimum. Take it everywhere - including into the shower. I often even wear it while sleeping - just pushed to whatever side it doesn't bother me on.

Some rooms have lockers with locks provided. Some rooms have lockers with no locks provided. Many rooms don't have lockers. But for the most part - your backpack and gear are safe - but never leave your valuables unattended.

Be even more careful in accommodations that mix pilgrims with tourists - especially in the cities.

Security can be a particular problem in the larger albergues. Thieves can easily enter many albergues and merge with pilgrims simply by wearing casual clothes and flip-flops or crocs. This happened at Los Arcos on the Camino Francés a few years ago, for example, and many pilgrims lost valuables from the dormitories - mobile phones, credit cards, cash and small personal items. The above advice is absolutely spot on - keep all valuables with you at all times, including when sleeping. Most of us tend to trust other pilgrims, but even when recharging your phone etc. in a dormitory or communal area, it is advisable to keep an eye open for strangers.

Hehehe... on my caminos I usually would take my valuables to the shower and toilet... in the beginning... luckily I haven't had bad experiences so far, but to be honest I have mostly been staying in smaller villages.
I take my valuables into the shower and toilet too. I have a money belt that I put all my valuables in. I also take it with me whenever I go out. I too often stay in small villages. This year I walked on the Aragones where there were many nights of villages as small as 30-40 people. Ruesta had 3 people. I still take my valuables with me. It isn't any effort to take them and boy would it be alot of effort if I had to replace them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I take my valuables into the shower and toilet too. I have a money belt that I put all my valuables in. I also take it with me whenever I go out. I too often stay in small villages. This year I walked on the Aragones where there were many nights of villages as small as 30-40 people. Ruesta had 3 people. I still take my valuables with me. It isn't any effort to take them and boy would it be alot of effort if I had to replace them.
I know… I have walked a few caminos and to be honest I have been a little casual with my valuables, not so much when I went out, but when I went to the bathroom or to another room etc.
Which means I have let my phone to charge…or even money and credit card somewhere in my bag or the bed when not being just near it.

I don’t want to recommend it, but it has happened many times… and until now I have been lucky. But I guess that often happens when you feel comfortable - and of course we are responsible for our belongings.

I don't think I've ever been to an albergue that didn't have lockers to store stuff. I always wear hiking zip off pants with pockets--so I always keep my passport, cash, and money on me at ALL times.

I don't think I've ever been to an albergue that didn't have lockers to store stuff. I always wear hiking zip off pants with pockets--so I always keep my passport, cash, and money on me at ALL times.
It is so interesting that you have always been in albergues that have lockers. Very lucky. I have to say that for me the vast majority of municipal albergues/donativos that I have stayed in over the years do not have lockers. I think on the CF when you get to Sarria there are alot more albergues with lockers. But on less traveled (maybe I should say even popular ones too) routes and municipal and donativos I have rarely if ever seen lockers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As dougfitz wisely suggests in the above post never tell anyone where and what you have !!

A few years ago in Trinidad de Arre an actor from LA who was bunked next to me asked anxiously "Where do you have your money?"
As if on cue I rolled my eyes and answered "Why in the bank! And you?"

For further advice read these earlier forum threads with useful tips on camino security and here.
On my first Camino, we met 3 young college students walking from SJPP. We ran into them again in Pamplona and they all 3 were devastated. They had walked all the way from SJPP with a "nice pilgrim lady" who offered to watch their belongings in Pamplona while they showered. They returned from their shower to find all of their credit cards and cash gone, along with her. Their Camino was over.

I trust NOBODY except God these days, no matter how nice they seem.
Leave your pack hanging on the bed or in a locker, but take anything that cannot be replaced with you.
That's my advice.

Last edited:
On my first Camino, we met 3 young college students walking from SJPP. We ran into them again in Pamplona and they all 3 were devastated. They had walked all the way from SJPP with a "nice pilgrim lady" who offered to watch their belongings in Pamplona while they showered. They returned from their shower to find all of their credit cards and cash gone, along with her. Their Camino was over.

Leave your pack on the bed, but take anything that cannot be replaced with you.
That's my advice.
👍👍👍

Like hikentravel1234 and It56ny above, I have stayed in many albergues without lockers. However, unlike Anniesantiago and donalomahony, I have trusted several pilgrims whom, a day or two after meeting them, I instinctively felt were fine. I have never come unstuck in these cases. This is not to say that this is intended as advice for everyone - I would suggest that we must all use our own judgement.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On a related note, do something to keep your boots and poles from disappearing. Theft really isn't the problem but mistaken identity is. A small lock connecting pole loops should do the trick there. Brightly colored laces or missing laces on boots may help there or maybe store the boots in a webbed bag. People have taken boots looking similar to theirs even with wrong sizes.

Some rooms have lockers with locks provided. Some rooms have lockers with no locks provided. Many rooms don't have lockers. But for the most part - your backpack and gear are safe - but never leave your valuables unattended.
If I were to take a lock for the occasion when a locker is provided without a lock, how large would it need to be? A suitcase size or a gym locker size?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Leave your pack on the bed, but take anything that cannot be replaced with you.
That's my advice.
Fine except for one essential detail: never leave your backpack on the bed, if for no other reason than that most albergues ask you (or tell you) not to. Hang it off the frame. Otherwise all sound advice.

Leave your pack on your bed
This is widely considered to be bad practice and a probable cause of the unwitting spread of bedbugs. Many albergues and hostels have notices telling pilgrims never to put their pack onto their bed.

Yes, and packs are often dirty because they have resting on the ground or floor. Just like you should not put your feet up on the furniture, don't put your pack on the bed please.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This is widely considered to be bad practice and a probable cause of the unwitting spread of bedbugs. Many albergues and hostels have notices telling pilgrims never to put their pack onto their bed.
In one albergue that I stayed in a couple of pilgrim put their packs on their beds then went to shower. The hospitalero came in and saw the packs, and angrily removed them and took them away. The two peregrinos were surprised and upset to return from showering to find all their things gone!

In one albergue that I stayed in a couple of pilgrim put their packs on their beds then went to shower. The hospitalero came in and saw the packs, and angrily removed them and took them away. The two peregrinos were surprised and upset to return from showering to find all their things gone!
Yes, you should NEVER put your pack on the bed. Never ever ever.
I figured people knew that.
I realize they do not.
I changed my post after being scolded by all of you.
:::crying:::

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, and packs are often dirty because they have resting on the ground or floor. Just like you should not put your feet up on the furniture, don't put your pack on the bed please.
Yes, yes, and yes.
Mea culpa.
I figured people knew what I meant.
I corrected my post.
::::so embarrassed:::

Fine except for one essential detail: never leave your backpack on the bed, if for no other reason than that most albergues ask you (or tell you) not to. Hang it off the frame. Otherwise all sound advice.
Oh God, I'm dying here.
I agree 100%
Corrected.
I knew what I meant - realized too late, not everybody knew I meant HUNG on the bed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I were to take a lock for the occasion when a locker is provided without a lock, how large would it need to be? A suitcase size or a gym locker size?
I have a pretty small lock - not as big and heavy as a gym locker lock (with the dial), but big enough to not easily be broken without tools. I didn't carry it on the Frances, but I did feel I needed it on the Norte since a lot of accommodations also housed tourists.

I figured people knew what I meant.
A broad assumption, Anniesantiago! But I am sure that we all understand your embarrassment and realise that you would never dream of plonking your backpack on the bed. However, it provided the opportunity to reinforce an important point. So, well done! 😉

Yes, you should NEVER put your pack on the bed. Never ever ever.
I figured people knew that.
I realize they do not.
I changed my post after being scolded by all of you.
:::crying:::
I didn't mean you specifically, @Anniesantiago. Just the nonspecific "everyone". Not scolding, just letting people know the thinking behind it. I would not ever throw pilgrims' things off the bed, but might ask them to move a pack to another location.

€46,-

I never once worried about it.

I never once worried about it.
I don't mean to prolong the discussion, but it seems odd the albergues would invest in lockers if there was no need.
Trust in Allah, but tether your camel.
I believe this statement sums things up.

It is nice that there are lockers in many situations and I intend to use them for no other reason than to reduce temptation. I have purchased a pack duffle to check my bag and poles on the flight. The duffle is light, can be locked, and folds up small when not in use. In the event of no locker, I have a small samsonite lock that will go thru the bag after I toss everything in, it is zipped and around a bed pole. I have also sprayed it inside and out. If there are bedbugs it will be another layer to store my belongings in... but I'm a newbie.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't mean to prolong the discussion, but it seems odd the albergues would invest in lockers if there was no need.
Albergues would invest in lockers if pilgrims want them. Pilgrims want them based on a perceived need. How realistic that perception is, I don't know. People are notoriously unreliable in their perceptions and assessments of risks, worrying a lot about things that may be low risk and not so much about things that are higher risk.

Myself, I tend to use lockers if they are available but not worry if they are not. The presence or absence of lockers is unlikely to drive my decisions about which albergue to stay at. I will generally keep my valuables with me, taking them to the shower, for example. I might also ask fellow pilgrims to watch my backpack for a short time (e.g., while I go into a bar to order a cafe con leche and breakfast or while I take a shower).

Anniesantiago tells a horrifying story above about three college students and a "nice pilgrim lady" who walked with them for days before taking their stuff. It can happen. Based on my own experience with other pilgrims, I think the chances of them walking with me for days looking for opportunities to steal from me are low. I think the risks of ruining my Camino by assuming all fellow pilgrims are looking to steal from me are lower than the risks of losing my stuff. But those are my notoriously unreliable risk assessments.

A lot of pilgrims are victims of theft on the Camino, especially the Frances. I've had a couple of things stolen off my pack (sunglasses) and I've met pilgrims who had large quantities of money stolen from them.
Never leave your money, credit cards, passport etc unattended as well as any phones or devices. Don't even leave them in the backpack at night when you're sleeping.
There are a small percentage of albergues that provide lockers to secure your backpack.
How do you charge your phone if you can't leave it unattended? Last camino, I charge it at night while I was sleeping.

Lockers provide a place to put your things - without them, the albergue would be a mess of items on the floor, beds, etc. It’s more about organizing than crime prevention.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How do you charge your phone if you can't leave it unattended?
What many do is to charge their battery bank when it is convenient and then use that to charge their phone in bed at night. In the case of a thief being around in the albergue you only lose the battery bank and charger, both easily replaceable.

How do you charge your phone if you can't leave it unattended? Last camino, I charge it at night while I was sleeping.
I use an extra long charging cord so that my phone is right next to me at night while it's charging.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Similar to @Rick of Rick and Peg except that I charge my power bank when I get to the albergue and then use that to charge my phone the next day while I walk.

Like Rick I figure that if I lose my power bank then that is inconvenient but not disastrous whereas losing my phone puts me at risk of a disastrous loss because much of my life and financial resources are accessible via my phone.

So far I have never lost a power bank but I did lose a conversion plug that converts from Aotearoa New Zealand and Australia 3 pin plug standard to European 3 pin plug standard once. I suspect the Australian lady who shared the room with me that night who was complaining about her plug not working and who left before I awoke. I just can't trust those Ozzies ☺️

These days I just buy a cheap European standard USB plug when I get there (or remember to bring one from the last trip). Which is what I was forced to do that time because I couldn't find any converter plugs in Spain.

Last edited:
I almost never use my cellphone when I walk the Camino so probably 75% of the time it's turned off. When it does need charging I just do it whenever. I certainly wouldn't leave it or anything of value like money, wallet, documents etc unattended ever while on the Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back