• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Storage looking wooden structures along the camino france

Damien Park

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July (2016)
Walking the last 50km or so of the Camino (palas de Rei to Santiago), I seldom came across these wooden storage looking structures and wondered what they are used for.

Anyone has any idea what they are called and what purpose they serve to the locals?

My best guess would be a storage of some sort, but why would it be built right on top of their fences (where burglars can access it so freely).

-Damien

Attachments

• IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 74
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walking the last 50km or so of the Camino (palas de Rei to Santiago), I seldom came across these wooden storage looking structures and wondered what they are used for.

Anyone has any idea what they are called and what purpose they serve to the locals?

My best guess would be a storage of some sort, but why would it be built right on top of their fences (where burglars can access it so freely).

-Damien

They are known as horreos and often used to store and dry corn for animal feed.

Read and see more re these local Galician landmarks in this earlier Forum thread

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/galicia-and-its-horreos.24273/

and in

http://www.galiciaguide.com/Landmarks.html

Last edited:
Yes and nobody would steal corn for animals ;-) Apart of the mice, hence the big horizontal stone plates on the pillars, they prevent the mice from climbing up. Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We always looked and wondered what they were. We weren't far of the mark. Beautiful lifestyle in northern Spain

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You would find them in Galicia and Asturias.
There are two kind of them Hórreos are the big square one's and Paneras the small ones rectangular shaped.
They are good for keeping dry an safe ,grains like corn , walnut, onions , potatoes ,dry grass ,and other products out of reach for animals and specially mices.
Their little and vertical windows allows the wind to blow through them taking away humidity.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In English - corn crib.

In "English, English" a granary! Old ones were built on "staddles" - stones shaped like overgrown mushrooms, often all that is left because the wooden structures have disappeared over the years.
A good article on the English ones is here:-
http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/granaries/granaries.htm
If you walk the Norte or the Primitivo you will see a distinct change between the hórreos in Asturias and those in Galicia.

Blessings
Tio Tel

I thought they might've been giant beehives at first! Then I realized they were only present in farms with cornfields. Much lovelier than the corn cribs of my native Pennsylvania, all chicken-wire and old grey wood.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Every single village in Galicia has one, mostly more, of them, they are hard to miss!
Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery

-Damien

You "seldom" came across them? Or did you mean that you often did?

In the tiny, but oh so glamorous in summer time, village of Combarro on the Portuguese, the horreos are placed in a manner so that when the tide rises, the boats came come in from the sea with their catch, and put it away in the horreos. Such a cute little village.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

-Damien
They are called Hórreos and are used for storing dried corn for animal feed. I suspect but don't really know that they are up high to catch the breezes and dry the corn. I think that some of them now are purely decorative.

I was asked about these by some English touregrinas speedwalking from Sarria in September.

They thought they were for storing coffins (because many have a cross on top) . . . .

Honest!

Mostly for drying corn but I've also seen them used for curing cheese. And storing all kinds of things.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like how some of them are made to look like little churches. They obviously have cultural importance or at least charm, because some are in the yards of fancy houses that are clearly not storing corn.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back