• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stories

anthonyve

Hello,
I am an Australian novelist working on a fiction work set along El Camino. The book is in two parts, one in the 10thC culminating in the sacking of Santiago by Al Mansur in 997 and the second is set in 2007.
I'm looking for interesting stories and experiences for the 21st Century story from anyone willing to allow me to use them as idea sources for the plot.
The central character in the 2007 story is an ex soldier traumatized by a brutal event in Afghanistan. He is trying to rediscover himself and find purpose in his life. His pilgrimage is a metaphor for the inner journey he must make in order to survive.
I would be really grateful for any ideas or experiences, whether relevant to the basic plot or not, and would be happy to acknowledge sources, if the darn thing ever makes it to publication. (I'm a year into the project and am at that point where I regularly want to throw my laptop out the window :) )
Although age and arthritis make it unlikely that I will ever be able to make the pilgrimage, my research has given me an understanding of what a profound achievement it is to make it to Santiago De Compostela by the power of one's own body.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great idea for a novel!
So many people have written books on their experiences that you could write a whole series of novels on the modern camino!
And since every man and his blog has written about the camino, this would be another good source. Just search el camino in a blog URL and you will find thousands of online journals to research.
Good luck!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back