• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Storks along the Camino-

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I wondered if I would see storks along the Norte route in April...I assumed I would as my September/October Frances was filled with abandoned stork nests for the season (I saw one head in Burgos)...

A quick search gave me this informative thread...it appears that I probably will not.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/storks.7960/

I was intrigued by the Stork nests along the Way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wondered about this too, but it seems that if you do see any storks on the Norte, it will be a rare sighting:

The White Stork is catalogued as Rare in the Catalogue of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna of the Basque Country. This is because the population of the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country has gone down in an alarming way since fifties of past century, reaching a critical situation at the end of seventies, when a nest located in Gamarra (Vitoria-Gasteiz) was the only one that was occupied in all our region.

Of course those who live there will have a more accurate take on this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We too think that there are not so many storks on the Norte, although we saw one this year near Santillana del Mar. That was at the beginning of May, we just checked the date on Terry's photograph.

Attachments

• stork.jpg
    stork.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Es muy raro que las cigüeñas pasen la cordillera. Algunas lo hacen, pero no es habitual y menos en la costa. Ojo, hablo de Asturias, pero supongo que por el resto de comunidades del cantábrico sea igual. De hecho, nunca vi una cigüeña por mi zona.

Rarely storks pass the mountains. Some do, but it is unusual and less on the coast. I am talking about Asturias, but I guess for the other communities of the Cantabrian it would be equal. In fact, I never saw a stork for my area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad, I'll miss the storks on the Norte. This May there were many nests and babies on the Sanabres.:(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The storks remain one of my favorite parts of being in Spain in the spring.
I also have fond memories also of the "stork cam" on a hotel ledge in Zaragoza several years ago.

I saw those huge nests along the French route. Someone told those particular nests belong to the Common Crane which migrates to Africa. I was there in the fall so I did not get to see any of the birds. I've seen the Sand Hill Cranes here in N America so I imagine the Common Crane is equally impressive.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back