• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Storms and floods in Pays Basque today (10/12/2021)

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
There are some terrific photos on several other sites regarding the flooding along the Cote Basque from San Sebastian to St. Jean de Luz as a result of high winds and surf conditions. The Nive through St.Jean Pied de Port and Bayonne is causing serious flooding from the recent amount of rain that fell in the mountains. (I could not share them but they are on these two sites on FB - Tu aime la Cote Basque and Camino-Way of St. james-Via Podiensis.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I guess there's shocking flooding in Pamplona today also. I posted a video of it on my Facebook page. My profile looks like this if you want to find me:. I'm not sure how to post the video here. I'm posting a lot of videos and photos on my fb page

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 9.19.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 9.19.28 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Don and Kirkie for posting these. I couldn't figure out how to get them on here.
It is impossible to post some of the videos. I am really concerned about the people and businesses down river from Bayonne in Aglet, a northern part of the BAB community shortly after where the Nive joins the Adour.

Last edited:
I am sorry to see this. Makes me aware that quiet weather in -25 -30C as where I live is easier to cope with than this.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually, I am just remembering that my friend told me that among other markers for pilgrims, the Puente de la Madalena was not passable yesterday when we were speaking. Here is a link to the river, the Arga, that has beautiful walks in and around the city in better weather.

the Puente de la Madalena was not passable yesterday
No-one is walking the Baztan right now, either, that's for sure. Bayonne, 2017, versus yesterday, for comparison:
20170517_184721.jpg20211211_190555.jpg

The Ebro is already quite high, too. Zaragoza:
20211211_190638.jpg

Take care out there everyone. So many people are being affected by this, and my heart goes out to them. Lots of loss.

(The photos from yesterday are from the Daily Mail Online.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No-one is walking the Baztan right now, either, that's for sure. Bayonne, 2017, versus yesterday, for comparison:
View attachment 114687View attachment 114688

The Ebro is already quite high, too. Zaragoza:
View attachment 114689

Take care out there everyone. So many people are being affected by this, and my heart goes out to them. Lots of loss.

(The photos from yesterday are from the Daily Mail Online.)
The comments I have received from my friends in Biarritz was it was the perfect storm. After a heavy snowstorm in the Pyrennes early in the week there were very strong winds from the north west causing heavy surfs and torrential rains that quickly melted all of the fresh snow. Global change perhaps but the pilgrims who want to post prognostications from previously experienced and/or normal weather patterns need to reconsider their advice to newbies

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Update from my friend in Pamplona: the good news is there is "una marea amarilla" ( a great band of people wearing yellow vests) in Burlada and Villaba, cleaning like billie-oh to help the locals clear up the waste brought by the onslaught of water. I have no photos, you just create your own. Such a sign of human nature responding.

And Casa Paderborn, and the albergue in Arre, @kirkie - any news of them? I can't imagine they can have escaped flooding, right next to the river as they are.

Last edited:
I will check later this afternoon, there is possibly someting in the papers. I think Casa Paderborn, as an albergue, has moved to a different address - precisely because of repeated inundations. The albergue in Arre is also, as you say, right on the bank of the river. I know they have a facebook page, but as I don't open any fb pages I can't check there.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We had a storm here in Ireland Tuesday/Wednesday . It hit the west of the country pretty hard and was a long duration event .Formed in mid Atlantic named Storm Barra . Our met office said later in the week that the same weather system had moved south after finishing with us and had wreaked havoc in the Basque region of Spain. Not sure what route it took enroute but would imagine a few countries were effeçted

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found an AP article with photos of the Ebro - from a village a little upstream from Zaragoza.

And other stories with more details:

Edit: and satellite images:

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My friend reported that, but I have been waiting for more news. Two deaths were reported so far as I know. The news headlines have moved on, but the mud and ebris is still hanging around.
is there any update on the flooding clean up and how folks are doing?

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.