• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stove or no stove?

Laina Rose

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning a winter hike on the El Camino and was wondering if I should plan on bring my camp stove? It's an ultra light pocket rocket so weight isn't a concern, but I'm not sure if I'll use it. If I do want to bring it will I even be able to buy fuel for it in Spain?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
About 5 or 6 years ago we went camping in northern Spain, in the Cantabrians and around el Bierzo. We had a pocket rocket which we were unable to use as we found no appropriate fuel. All that was available was CampingGaz which has a different incompatible attachment system.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm planning a winter hike on the El Camino and was wondering if I should plan on bring my camp stove? It's an ultra light pocket rocket so weight isn't a concern, but I'm not sure if I'll use it. If I do want to bring it will I even be able to buy fuel for it in Spain?
I brought my jet boil with me that has a coffee press unit that fits on it. There is lots of fuel available and it was even cheaper by a bit than in the states in bigger towns. With fuel the total weight was just over a pound plus the coffee. We used it to make the coffee of course, but also to boil eggs to have for breakfast and lunch. That way a bit of meat or cheese and the wonderful bread available was so much better than the breakfast available on the route. Also since there were two of us and we could make coffee during breaks we saved some versus purchasing. Was it absolutely necessary? No, of course not. Was our camino better for having it? I thought so and so did my wife and the people that enjoyed a cup along the trail with us.

I have carried an ultra light gas stove and pan on past caminos and wouldn't travel without it.
Perfect for a brew on the go and nice to share a hot drink with others.
Also the pan is handy in all those albergues with a kitchen 'sin utensiles' if you want to cook food or boil water.
Gas canisters are available in the Camino shop in St Jean.
Places to get them on the way are ironmongers (ferreteria),plumbers,camping stores etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Not likely, you just might find it in Madrid or another really big city with a bit of luck but I doubt you will find it on the camino. Buen Camino, SY

On the CF I found two sporting goods stores as well as some department stores (like El Corte Inglés) that may have had fuel, but you really don't need it. If you just want it for coffee, tea, or soup there is the much discussed "electric coil". However, if you are looking to actually cook I think you'd be better served looking for alburgues with kitchen facilities. What I would bring instead of a stove is a sharp knife. The ones you will find in the alburgue kitchens are dull beyond hope.

I bought something similar to this at a ferretería, but a bit larger. The one I bought is put away in my backpack, but this one should make it clear. Just a cheap knife with a plastic cover. Just be prepared, once people find out you have a sharp knife you will become very popular in the kitchen.

image.jpg

For both my 2001 and 2003 Caminos Frances I took a home-made Scott Henderson Pepsi Can stove
( http://tinyurl.com/nkmehmf )
essentially a home made Trangia burner that sat inside a pierced tin can as a stand and was topped off with a blue enamalled mug from Poland. You can buy the fuel (alcohol) in the cleaning section of supermarkets in small plastic bottles (100ml) - weighs next to nothing.

I'd cheerfully sit by the side of the road making a brew (tea) and also a lot of friends (mainly Brits and Irish) who'd stop by for a cuppa.

Then I discovered grandes cafes con leche . . .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.