• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Strange occurrence on the Camino Ingles

daesdaemar

Camino-holic
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles - twice
The following occurred on Sunday July 3 as I walked the Betanzos to Bruma leg. I have been reluctant to post this experience because, frankly, it seemed so weird and disconcerting. Now, a few months later, I am interested in the opinion of others.
Just a short way past the Bar Julia is the somewhat modern appearing Igrexa de Santo Tome. As I approached, there were barricades closing off automobile traffic as there appeared to be a church festival going on. This was on the road passing directly in front of the church. I walked along this road among dozens of people and their booths selling various trinkets, religious items, and foods and snacks. The church and its hall were open with many persons walking through and around.
I must clearly have appeared as a pilgrim as I had my backpack, hiking boots, and even a large scallop shell hanging around my neck. As I passed among the people I would smile, nod my head, and say "Hola!" Everyone looked straight through me as if I did not exist. Not a single person smiled or acknowledged me in anyway whatsoever. I even walked up to some of the booths looking for a snack and the vendors didn't even look my way. I felt like a ghost. I felt very much out of place and recall a feeling of great uneasiness. I considered walking up to the church to seek a sello, but felt so uncomfortable that I could not bring myself to do so.
It was very strange and bothered me for hours afterwards.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rural Galicians at Play. Their joyful, open character is one of the reasons we decided to skip settling in beautiful rural Galicia and go to barren, flat rural Palencia instead.

At least people here will look us in the face and say "hello."

July 3rd is the Feast of San Tome so there would have been some celebration.
At least people here will look us in the face and say "hello."
I have lived here in rural Galicia for 2 years and have found the people to be really welcoming and friendly, absolutely everyone says hello. The only exception to this was the village Fiesta (Santiago) when I thought I would be good and go to mass but got the time wrong, I arrived at the little chapel just as everyone was leaving. On that occasion people looked at me as if I had just crawled out of the woodwork, but it was not the people who live here, it was the people who come for July, who normally live in Madrid or some other big city.
I must clearly have appeared as a pilgrim as I had my backpack, hiking boots, and even a large scallop shell hanging around my neck
I reckon, Daesdaemar, most of those people were from the city and had no idea that a Camino de Santiago goes passed that church. It doesn't only happen in Galicia though, I walked through Cacabelos on Easter Sunday and was walking passed the church just as everyone left, they were all crowding around outside waiting for the procession and again they just stared at me. It seems fiestas are not for sharing.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The best advice I have ever received is to follow that still, small voice we hear so often. When the Holy Spirit guides, it is time to follow. No need to question it, just follow. We may never know the why of it, but you did the right thing and just moved on. Hopefully that will never be your experience on the Way again. I am just grateful that you followed the guidance you received.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back