• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Strange sensation on arrival in Santiago and sharing a video

Paul_L

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés Feb-April (2015)
Camino Francés March-April (2020)
Hi all,
I know that this has been discussed elsewhere, I more wanted to explain myself for not returning to the forum post camino. I received much support and advice before heading off, and we completed our camino with the family (2 adults and 5 children, 2-15 years old, now 3-16!) in April this year (on Good Friday to be more precise).

It was an awesome experience, and like many others I felt such a let down at the end I didn't really want to return to the forum. I felt so flat on arriving in Santiago. One of my daughters felt very much the same as I did. We had planned on staying the night at the Monte de Gozo campgrounds/albergue and to do the short walk in the following morning, but we were walking with our mini camino family and pushed on the last few kilometres to arrive in Santiago on the same day. The problem was that neither of us (my daughter or myself) had mentally prepared to 'finish' (I know we will never 'finish' the camino, I'm referring to the physical walking process at that time). On the wooden bridge over the highway, she just burst out in tears (and I hugged her with a tear or two welling up). The rest of the family were fine, they were looking forward to a couple of days rest and exploring Santiago, getting the Compostelas and so forth. We just weren't quite ready.

Anyway, that's a couple of months ago now, and we are applying the common medicine that I've read on here and discuss our future (ambiguous for now) camino (somewhere to Santiago, by some form of transport - foot, or foot/bike from further, sometime). It's a sweet tonic that is working for now.

I wanted to express my deep gratitude to the camino members who encouraged us either directly or indirectly. We were blessed many times on the way and before leaving. I'd like to share a short video we have made of my son across many locations. Enjoy!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, my God... how amazing to recognize mny of those places! And in most of them I didn´t have half of your kid's energy to keep walking!

I also did the last day on a long walk, and maybe should not have done that. Cried so much at the cathedral, holding my legs. I stayed in the cathedral for few minutes and left - I just realized I was so tired and emotional that i could not see the beauty around me.

The next day, when I went there after a proper shower, it was so different... as if I could be part of that beauty. Then I was mentally ready.

It sounds like an amazing experience to do it with a big family, please share more about it! :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A lovely video. There's the makings of a fine Marathon runner there. :)

I felt very similar when I arrived in Santiago. There were too many people and too much noise. Not helped by the fact that I couldn't find the entrance to the cathedral and then when I did go in, I was kicked out as I still had my rucksack on. I spent the rest of the day feeling very lost.
The next day, however, I had a wonderful day just soaking in the beauty, the spirituality, the sights and all the people milling about. Meeting hosted by Camino Companions were superb. Could have stayed in SdC for days :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Lovely video, thanks for sharing! What an energy!

My first camino ended in Santiago and it felt a bit like a let down. It felt just like any other city I was going through on the camino much more then an actual ending of my trip.
My second camino ended in Fisterre and that was much better. After Santiago your on the road again with mostly just the die-hard pilgrims. Ending the trip spending the night on the beach with a big bonfire, drinking and smoking funny stuff, singing, swapping stories, a laugh and a tear..... that was a better ending for me.
My third camino wend via Fisterre and ended in Muxia. Again with a wonderful stay in Fisterre and added a day of peace and quite to Muxia to come to terms with myself that another pilgrimage was over. I was no longer a pilgrim, returnd to Santiago as a tourist ready to fly home.

WOW! Lovely video, only he made me feel tired!

It was better the next time and now when I visit Santiago its like coming home somehow. You will be back and it will be better.
Yes, now whenever I arrive in Santiago, it's like coming home.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm glad we took the few days walk to Finsterra after Santiago. It was a great decompressor after the buildup of 4 weeks looking only toward Santiago.

Hi all,
I know that this has been discussed elsewhere, I more wanted to explain myself for not returning to the forum post camino. I received much support and advice before heading off, and we completed our camino with the family (2 adults and 5 children, 2-15 years old, now 3-16!) in April this year (on Good Friday to be more precise).

It was an awesome experience, and like many others I felt such a let down at the end I didn't really want to return to the forum. I felt so flat on arriving in Santiago. One of my daughters felt very much the same as I did. We had planned on staying the night at the Monte de Gozo campgrounds/albergue and to do the short walk in the following morning, but we were walking with our mini camino family and pushed on the last few kilometres to arrive in Santiago on the same day. The problem was that neither of us (my daughter or myself) had mentally prepared to 'finish' (I know we will never 'finish' the camino, I'm referring to the physical walking process at that time). On the wooden bridge over the highway, she just burst out in tears (and I hugged her with a tear or two welling up). The rest of the family were fine, they were looking forward to a couple of days rest and exploring Santiago, getting the Compostelas and so forth. We just weren't quite ready.

Anyway, that's a couple of months ago now, and we are applying the common medicine that I've read on here and discuss our future (ambiguous for now) camino (somewhere to Santiago, by some form of transport - foot, or foot/bike from further, sometime). It's a sweet tonic that is working for now.

I wanted to express my deep gratitude to the camino members who encouraged us either directly or indirectly. We were blessed many times on the way and before leaving. I'd like to share a short video we have made of my son across many locations. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing. Happy to know you are all safe and memories to last a life time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That is one very coordinated 2 year old to run like that! As for the arrival being anticlimatic: been there, done that, and it's not fun. But now that I have been back another two times it's just a beautiful city to roam around in. Perhaps because now I walk to walk, not trying to read meaning in things like I did the first time.

I have to ask, how many days was the hair dryer carried for before it happened to g'be forgotten at an albergue?

I read this again and again and its made me plan (yes I am planning again lol) to do it differently than most. I think I am going to time it so that I arrive after a rest. My idea is to walk 5 days rest 2 and plan it so that its in the places I REALLY want to explore. I am doing this more for my body than my mind but I think, hearing this "anticlimactic entrance to Santiago" again and again that I will try to do a weekend somewhere just before I get to Santiago...to really think about the walk and what it has meant. I want to prepare to be in Santiago before I get there. So where would you suggest. If you could do it again and stop and prepare just a day or two before you get there where would you stop?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Read what others and I have written earlier re 'the stop the night before SdC' in this thread.
My choice would be the Casa Amancio on a cold winter night. Walking into SdC on a snowy path can be magical!
Oh thanks so much! Oh and it was a wonderful video...LOVE that he is always so happy to run!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
WHAT ? You made your two-year-old run ALL the way from St Jean? Some would call that by nasty names!!
Great video - I will keep and eye out for some of the places he ran as I ride from Pamplona. I think I can understand the feelings of being "metally" prepared to face the end of your Camino. It meant that you would soon be returning to "normal home" routines. Again I understand your "not finished with the Camino" - you will find people here who have walk all the listed Caminos - some twice. Cheers.

Hi all,

@paul.... what a beautiful boy !!! Be blessed !! Buen Camino :) Caesar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I read this again and again and its made me plan (yes I am planning again lol) to do it differently than most. I think I am going to time it so that I arrive after a rest. My idea is to walk 5 days rest 2 and plan it so that its in the places I REALLY want to explore. I am doing this more for my body than my mind but I think, hearing this "anticlimactic entrance to Santiago" again and again that I will try to do a weekend somewhere just before I get to Santiago...to really think about the walk and what it has meant. I want to prepare to be in Santiago before I get there. So where would you suggest. If you could do it again and stop and prepare just a day or two before you get there where would you stop?
@Pattiii.... good luck. I've often said this "IF you want to make GOD laugh.... make plans". Buen Camino :)

Oh, my God... how amazing to recognize mny of those places! And in most of them I didn´t have half of your kid's energy to keep walking!

I also did the last day on a long walk, and maybe should not have done that. Cried so much at the cathedral, holding my legs. I stayed in the cathedral for few minutes and left - I just realized I was so tired and emotional that i could not see the beauty around me.

The next day, when I went there after a proper shower, it was so different... as if I could be part of that beauty. Then I was mentally ready.

It sounds like an amazing experience to do it with a big family, please share more about it! :D
@Anamya..... I cry when I'm in Santiago and I don't know why exactly. but I cry. I've lost count of how many times I've been there..... but I still cry. My first ever time in Santiago...... I was blown away by the beauty and intensity of everything, Buen Camino :)

Like many, Santiago did not really do it for me.
But I didn't have any great expectations so I was fine with that.
Of course the Mass was great, and visiting St James tomb.

But as a city Santiago was just noisy and touristy :(

However I took a bus to Muxia and spent time by the Ocean. Now 'that' felt like a more satisfying 'ending' and offered a really deep and emotional closure to that part of my journey. :)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Like many, Santiago did not really do it for me. But I didn't have any great expectations so I was fine with that.

But I took a bus to Muxia and spent time by the Ocean. Now 'that' felt like a more satisfying 'ending' and offered a really deep and emotional closure to that part of my journey. :)
The only thing I enjoyed in Santiago was arriving at the Cathedral. The Cathedral and attending Mass there was beautiful. Such an amazingly emotional experience. The rest of Santiago I regarded as a money making tourist trap full of beggars and con-artists. Not a place I would spend any more time than needed, and always glad to leave and walk on to the coast.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back