• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

strange sign on the pillar in the cathedral of santiago

Martin 2016

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
Hello,
I just have a question about these strange sign on the pillar in the cathedral of Santiago. Is there anybody who knows the story behind these special
signs.
Thanks
M.

Attachments

• IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 265
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,
I just have a question about these strange sign on the pillar in the cathedral of Santiago. Is there anybody who knows the story behind these special
signs.
Thanks
M.

Martin 2016,

These are masons marks left by the craftsmen who constructed the cathedral.

For further posts regarding such marks in the cathedral but not necessarily these see these earlier Forum threads.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/mason-sign-in-cathedral.480/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...rs-of-the-earth-and-camino-de-santiago.18034/

Wikipedia has a good overall description of the working methods of such craftsmen in medieval Spain. See in particular the section titled Stonemasons, anonymity and artists' signatures in https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesque_architecture_in_Spain.

Happy research and Buen camino!

Last edited:
MSPATH may well be right - who am I to correct her? However, I have seen these signs repeatedly in southern Spain - they look remarkably similar to the 'indalo'.
The Indalo is a prehistoric magical symbol found in the cave of "Los Letreros" ("The Signboards") in Sierra de María-Los Vélez Natural Park in Vélez Blanco, Almería, Spain. It has been customary to paint the Indalo symbol on the front of houses and businesses to protect them from evil and is considered to be a god totem. The indalo has a Levantine origin and dates back to 2500 BC. The pictograph was named in memory of Saint Indaletius, and means Indal eccius (Messenger of the Gods) in the Iberian language.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indalo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Perhaps they are Indalo symbols Stephen. Or perhaps a simple crossbow. Whatever they represent they still would have been added by medieval craftsmen who constructed the cathedral! The multiplicity of such symbols is vast.

For a scholarly account (and superb bibliography) describing such marks in León and Santiago de Compostela see Therese Martin, Reading the Walls: Masons’ Marks and the Archaeology of Architecture at San Isidoro, León, in Church, State, Vellum, and Stone: Essays on Medieval Spain in Honor of John Williams, eds. T. Martin and J. A. Harris, Leiden, 2005. (Readable on-line).

Last edited:
The mason marks can also be seen on most (all?) of the older churches and building in old Santiago. I have walked around and looked for them in the past.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One says: "Welcome to Galicia, it rains here - you will need an umbrella"

Another says: "It can be windy - be careful your umbrella doesn't blow away" . . . .

Forgive me, jittery while awaiting the outcome of the European referendum!

One says: "Welcome to Galicia, it rains here - you will need an umbrella"

Another says: "It can be windy - be careful your umbrella doesn't blow away" . . . .

Forgive me, jittery while awaiting the outcome of the European referendum!

I forgive you for your comments about the Galician weather (I'm also nervous about the result and I am Spanish).

Hello,
signs.
Thanks
M.
Usually you can ee them in all old churches, not the same simbol, usually they area carver marks made to identify the work made for a group of carvers.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back