• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Strangegrino on El Norte

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
Ok, so this is probably more funny than strange but I just had an odd experience departing Iruzubieta towards Bolibar. I was crossing a "tree covered hillside" when I turned a corner and spied a man with his arms reaching out to embrace a large tree. He heard my twin poles striking the path and with a startled expression he turned towards me. He sheepishly backed away from the pine and proceeded to brush remnants of his encounter's bark from his chest, as if saying "there's nothing to see here, go about your business".

All this time I proceeded towards him without acknowledging I was affected in any way. About 5 meters from him, as he paced nervously, I spied his pack and poles on the ground, verifying he was at least a Strangegrino. I reached him and said the customary "hola", but he only lowered his head.

I walked past and proceeded to the gate that marked the end of the field. As I turned to shut the gate lest any farm animals were to get there own thoughts of heading to Santiago, I noticed him spying me intently, as if he were waiting to confirm my departure so he could return to whatever my presence had prevented him from doing in the first place.

I don't think there is anything wrong with hugging a tree. But getting caught and denying it happened seems oddly sinister.

Be on the look out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some of us are very fond of trees. There is something about their age and immense stability that provides comfort in our transient existence. Sadly "Tree-hugger"' as with "muesli-eating-sandal-wearing-Guardian-reader", has become a term of denigration. Fond as we are we carry a little shame and would rather not perform our worship in public.

I see nothing sinister, of the "wrong" hand, in coyness or discretion.

Yah, ok, it was still funny in an awkward kind of way.

If he had some discretion and didn't want to be seen as you described, he could have walked 10 feet off the path. I say poor planning on his part.

Based on these facts it's my guess he was not a practiced hugger, but rather was overcome by some spontaneous influence that only he knows.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sadly "Tree-hugger"' as with "muesli-eating-sandal-wearing-Guardian-reader", has become a term of denigration.

No, "tree-hugger" is not denigration, however "muesli-eating-sandal-wearing-Guardian-reader" is no more or less than an accurate label for a certain category of person.

That category, here in the UK, usually describes a fully paid-up member of the Benefits Claimants Union - not a tree-hugger!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back