• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Strategies for 3 problem long stages on the VDLP

Strategies for 3 problem long stages on the VDLP

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
notion900 submitted a new resource:

Strategy for problem long stage on the VDLP - Text, image and links on how to solve the problem of the missing albergue

The Embalsa Alcántara (reservoir) is currently the biggest problem stage for most people on the VDLP. This is because the Albergue Turistico there has been closed for several years and the only other option is a 'fishing hotel' that does not welcome pilgrims and I have even heard a report of them taking a reservation and then refusing to open the door. Therefore the lack of accommodation at the reservoir causes a 'double stage' of nearly 40km.

One solution is to miss the stage entirely...

Read more about this resource...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Excellent! I'm the one with the reservation (I still have the e-mail) who arrived at a locked door.

All in all, it was a pleasant day (and only 38 km if you choose to follow the road where the Camino starts zigzagging), but this sounds very good.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Apparently the albergue at the reservoir opened and then shut due to problems (presumably with the drains again) and is now open again. Best to make enquiries in Casar de Caceres before setting out. A German man died of heatstroke on this stage this summer, so it's best to start out with a specific plan on how to tackle it.

The albergue seems to be settled into being open again, so I've updated the resource to reflect this. Advice above on using the km markers on the roads is very very useful - phone Guardia Civil, and with that info they will know exactly where to find you.

Also there's never any harm in collecting taxi numbers just in case.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back